Fixing the loud fan

Come here to find solutions to difficult problems!
yjchoi17

Fixing the loud fan

Post by yjchoi17 »

Today my Noctua fan arrived and I am pleased to say that this fan does an wonderful job with the cooling! It is very quiet, yet very powerful. Like, CPU idle temperature went as low as 18 degrees celcius!

Now, I would like to share some of my findings and ideas that I came up with.

As @maleko48 shared, the stock heatsink does not touch the CPU die. Although he has an amazing DIY solution to the issue, I wanted to try a simpler method by applying square cut thermal tape between the CPU die and the heatsink. At first this method seemed to work, but after a few hours of use, the fan went back to being crazy loud. My interpretation is that the heatsink/fan's cooling capacity just can't keep up with the (mere) 10W TDP.

From here, I could try either:
a) using a better thermal bridge between the CPU die and the heatsink (for example, copper shim with thermal paste)
b) using a better heatsink (for example, copper instead of aluminium) but I couldn't find any similar size copper heatsinks readily purchasable

While I was working on the thermal tape, I also realized that the heatsink was touching a VRM chip. Not good. I covered the chip with insulation tape.
I don't know if this is related to the fan noise by any means, so if someone could please test this part. I am not able to test it because...
Since the Noctua fan was more than enough, I decided to unplug the fan and remove it altogether. Unfortunately, while unplugging, the socket ripped away from the board. So no more original fan for me.

To-Do: test if insulating the VRM is of any help

<strike>With just the Noctua fan, I ran a temperature monitor and got the aforementioned results. But also noticed that the "system temperature" was missing. Previously, this part was in the 90's with CPU cores in the 70's. Now, it's just CPU cores in the 10's. Why this system temperature reading is no longer available, I have no idea. Was that temperature reading coming from the original fan? That is unlikely since the original fan was a 2-pin fan. Is is related to the now insulated VRM chip? Who knows... Someone please verify.</strike>

This seems to have been a temporary issue. The system temperature reading is available again, with numbers in the 30's.

Moving forward, I am just going to use the Noctua fan. But there are still some issues:
a) The fan runs even if the machine is turned off. I would like the fan to turn off (i.e., USB port "off") when the machine is off. Can this be configured via the BIOS? (admin?)
b) the fan could use a better mounting solution. Using sticky tape with the lid removed shouldn't be the only answer. I suggest ACEPC make a lid with a large opening in the middle and screw holes to mount the fan. (I'll make a rough sketch of what I mean by this)

GK2 (discontinued model, J4105/4GB/64GB+512GB NVMe*/with Noctua Fan/Windows 10 Home)
* Not all GK2's support NVMe. Check before installing.
W5 Pro (a.k.a. "T5", Z8350/4GB/64GB/Dead CMOS Battery removed/Kubuntu)

Return to “Computer Technology Zone”