Dead SSD I guess?

Quick Fix.
muchogusto

Dead SSD I guess?

Post by muchogusto »

I bought this model from Amazon:
amazon.fr/gp/product/B08M5TWJ9P

and after one month of usage I got a random BSOD with a MEMORY_MANAGEMENT error, and then after the reboot I haven't been able to log into windows at all.
I checked the BIOS to make sure the SSD is the first boot choice (DUAL mode only on the legacy side, UEFI doesn't recognize it), but I get the infamous black screen "select boot device", no matter what I try. The "windows boot manager" option does not appear, in the boot options and if I force override it the PC boots directly into BIOS every time.

So I used my good old bootable USB stick with Win10 and tried troubleshooting with repair>cmd>diskpart, and that's what I found:
the SSD appears in the disk list but it looks empty. The available space equals the disk size. There are no volumes/partitions recognized on the disk, diskpart tells me the disk is online but it's completely wiped.

I tried to reinstall Windows with the normal procedure and it freezes when I select the disk to make a partition (still seen as empty by the windows installer).
Then I went back to diskpart and tried to clean it (full wipe) and recreate a bootable partition, but with both "clean all" and "create partition" I get an error: "The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error"

I think the SSD is really dead since I can't even access it to format it, which is a shame after just one month of usage.
Is there anything else I can do before sending you the PC back for a refund? (I actually started the refund process with Amazon)
witt

Re: Dead SSD I guess?

Post by witt »

Hello, here is a method. You can see the disk in partdisk, indicating that the system file may be lost. Make sure that the system file is complete when reinstalling the system, otherwise the installation of the system will fail.
muchogusto

Post by muchogusto »

Hello, I have already checked the SSD with diskpart (i'm also having this discussion via support email), the disk is recognized but the partitions/volumes are not. Here's what I see:
thumbnail_diskpart.jpg
thumbnail_diskpart.jpg (272.97 KiB) Viewed 2954 times
Disk 1 (14GB) is the bootable USB stick with Win10 recovery tools I used to be able to get to the CMD.
Disk 0 is the SSD, but its partitions have disappeared and it looks empty (all space is available).

This doesn't look good, it's the very same SSD that came withWindows pre-installed, so it HAS to have a partition. But after a random BSOD it now looks completely wiped.

I can't clean it, not format it, nor create partitions on it, diskpart always return an I/O error when I try anything other than disk details/select.
"The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error"

I can't install Windows on top of it because the installation process freezes when I select the disk

My BIOS recognizes there's a Hard Disk (not in UEFI, legacy only), but if I boot from there I get the black screen with "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key".
Windows Boot Manager is not available in the boot options.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You can refer to our cmd command, its function is to clear the hard disk and partition.
You can choose to install our official system, we have integrated these settings for you. This is the link we prepared for you: Win10_2004_Pro:
Tutorial for reinstalling the system:
Thanks for joining the forum fans, we will become friends here. Any suggestions about the forum I am open to hearing.
Marco D

Post by Marco D »

hello you solved. I've got the same problem. I can't install Windows. I followed all the procedures but the problem is still the same. the problem occurred after a Win update and then only BIOS.
Attachments
IMG_20210410_202848.jpg
IMG_20210410_202848.jpg (4.49 MiB) Viewed 2839 times
IMG_20210410_221235.jpg
IMG_20210410_221235.jpg (4.06 MiB) Viewed 2839 times
witt

Post by witt »

Select disk select disk 0 Next, you should enter clean instead of delete disk, and you can view the disk, indicating that the disk is not broken, it may be that your U disk has not prepared the windows files, causing the installation system to fail to boot to the disk
Attachments
_EYI6RLLM8%PYBDAFZ}G8EB.png
_EYI6RLLM8%PYBDAFZ}G8EB.png (174.29 KiB) Viewed 2818 times
Marco D

Post by Marco D »

I tried to clean the disk but it doesn't fix anything.
witt

Post by witt »

You can see that the disk in your picture is 119G, which is normal. It may be that there is a problem with the files in the U disk you made the system, which made it impossible to install the system to the disk. I suggest you contact the official after-sales mailbox, provide a U disk format, a screenshot of the file size, and show the customer service to see if the system files are missing

Return to “Troubleshooting”