Just maybe...remove the fan?

yjchoi17

Just maybe...remove the fan?

Post by yjchoi17 »

I've tried everything I can to get the fan in my GK2 to shut up. Well, not that many options other than to mess with the BIOS and replace the thermal paste. Anyways, none of it worked. The fan is loud like crazy and I can't use the computer for anything. Too loud to use it as a media center, too loud for pruductive work...

I finally wanna try one last thing. Remove the fan and go fan-less by installing the biggest heatsink I can possibly fit in there. (Which by the way won't be that big.) Of course I don't wanna fry my machine since I did pay a good fortune for the machine. So, any idea whether it is a good Idea to go fan-less on these CPU's? Quad-Core Gemini Lake Celeron's.
GK2 (discontinued model, J4105/4GB/64GB+512GB NVMe*/with Noctua Fan/Windows 10 Home)
* Not all GK2's support NVMe. Check before installing.
W5 Pro (a.k.a. "T5", Z8350/4GB/64GB/Dead CMOS Battery removed/Kubuntu)
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Re: Just maybe...remove the fan?

Post by Gabe »

yjchoi17 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:56 pm So, any idea whether it is a good Idea to go fan-less on these CPU's? Quad-Core Gemini Lake Celeron's.
I wouldn't. If it gets too hot there's nothing to cool it down and it will shut down on thermal overload. Though that's a safety step to prevent CPU burnout, heat is still the enemy of any circuit and too much too often will ruin it.

If you haven't yet done so, I would get the video requested here.

Edit: Not recommending your questioned action was only my opinion. With that said, you may want to take a look at what's been done here.
W8 Pro • GK1 • AK3 • AM02 • T6 Pro • AMR5 • GK3 Pro • AD03 • AM06 Pro • T8 Pro • S1 • T8 Plus • CK10
I have no connection to ACEMAGIC other than being a customer and long time forum member
yjchoi17

Post by yjchoi17 »

The CPU's TDP is 10W, which means at least in theory it is possible to go fanless. But there needs to be sufficient amount of heatsink, which I'm not sure is possible to fit in.

Yes I did see the DIY solution, but I don't have the tools to do it. If that is the recommended solution, ACEPC should put together a "kit" that has all the things cut out and ready for easy install. They can work with the factory to improve the products all they want, but that doesn't mean anything to those that already own pre-revised units.
GK2 (discontinued model, J4105/4GB/64GB+512GB NVMe*/with Noctua Fan/Windows 10 Home)
maleko48

Post by maleko48 »

yjchoi17 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:08 am The CPU's TDP is 10W, which means at least in theory it is possible to go fanless. But there needs to be sufficient amount of heatsink, which I'm not sure is possible to fit in.

Yes I did see the DIY solution, but I don't have the tools to do it. If that is the recommended solution, ACEPC should put together a "kit" that has all the things cut out and ready for easy install. They can work with the factory to improve the products all they want, but that doesn't mean anything to those that already own pre-revised units.
Just unplug the annoying fan and get yourself some double stick tape and a 5V 120mm Noctua fan and run your rig topless. ;) It is audible, but the Noctua's tone isn't annoying imo. You can check out my implementation on a similar chassis as yours:

http://iacepc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p ... 19d9#p3440
yjchoi17

Post by yjchoi17 »

Yes, I saw this solution and am considering it. But in my model, the CPU is facing the bottom side of the case, opposite from the fan. Is yours like this as well? If so, and the fan works, then this is how I'll go.
maleko48

Post by maleko48 »

yjchoi17 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:59 am Yes, I saw this solution and am considering it. But in my model, the CPU is facing the bottom side of the case, opposite from the fan. Is yours like this as well? If so, and the fan works, then this is how I'll go.
Yes my CPU sits upside down when installed in its case, same as yours. If you can spare the time and effort, modifying your heatsink to actually contact the CPU die is best, but a 120mm fan moves enough air to more than flood these tiny chassis.
yjchoi17

Post by yjchoi17 »

maleko48 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:50 am Yes my CPU sits upside down when installed in its case, same as yours. If you can spare the time and effort, modifying your heatsink to actually contact the CPU die is best, but a 120mm fan moves enough air to more than flood these tiny chassis.
Thanks for the info. I'm ordering that fan right now...
On another note, funny how they can make a heatsink that doesn't even touch the CPU die. I tried applying thicker thermal paste, but looks like even that wasn't enough.
maleko48

Post by maleko48 »

yjchoi17 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:52 pm
maleko48 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:50 am Yes my CPU sits upside down when installed in its case, same as yours. If you can spare the time and effort, modifying your heatsink to actually contact the CPU die is best, but a 120mm fan moves enough air to more than flood these tiny chassis.
Thanks for the info. I'm ordering that fan right now...
On another note, funny how they can make a heatsink that doesn't even touch the CPU die. I tried applying thicker thermal paste, but looks like even that wasn't enough.
Cool, I am excited to see what the fan does for you. Just be sure to get the 5V USB model to make it an easy plug and play with no soldering required.
Unfortunately to contact the die on such a tiny CPU, a CNC machined heatsink block would be required and the performance gained does not justify the cost since it is only a 10W CPU as it is. Alternatively, using a smaller, thicker cut square of aluminum to step down to the CPU without contacting the surround resistors would be the other option (which is what I DIY'd on my unit) but would require more precise stepdown block cuts and more accurate placement on the main finned heatsink block.
yjchoi17

Post by yjchoi17 »

maleko48 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:03 pm Cool, I am excited to see what the fan does for you. Just be sure to get the 5V USB model to make it an easy plug and play with no soldering required.
Unfortunately to contact the die on such a tiny CPU, a CNC machined heatsink block would be required and the performance gained does not justify the cost since it is only a 10W CPU as it is. Alternatively, using a smaller, thicker cut square of aluminum to step down to the CPU without contacting the surround resistors would be the other option (which is what I DIY'd on my unit) but would require more precise stepdown block cuts and more accurate placement on the main finned heatsink block.
While waiting for the Noctua fan to arrive, I ran to a local shop and picked up some AiOLOS thermal pads. 10mm x 10mm in size, just about the same as the CPU die, and about 0.5mm thick. Since the heatsink isn't touching the CPU anyways, I thought applying these pads might help. I stacked 3 of these squares on top of the CPU, no thermal paste whatsoever, and reinstalled the stock heatsink/fan. The screws were pretty tight, so maybe 2 stacks could've been enough. But I guess it's better to go thicker than not touching the heatsink.

So far, the fan is making much less noise. See how it goes after a few hrs.
mayo0016

Post by mayo0016 »

I'm trying to get the fan specs. It seems to be a 120mm x 120mm x 10mm, 5v. How many pins are on the wire connection?

Return to “Z8350(T11)”