AK1 - 2.5 inch drive not recognized

acepclhowesupport

AK1 - 2.5 inch drive not recognized

Post by acepclhowesupport »

I recently purchased an AK1. I am trying to use the external expansion case that came with the unit. I have tried two different drives, one SSD, one HDD that work fine in an external USB case, but are not recognized by the AK1. Is there a BIOs on Windows 10 setting that needs to be configured for the AK1 to recognize the drive?
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Re: AK1 - 2.5 inch drive not recognized

Post by Gabe »

acepclhowesupport,

See if the following may help...

W8 Pro • GK1 • AK3 • AM02 • T6 Pro • AMR5 • GK3 Pro • AD03 • AM06 Pro • T8 Pro • S1 • T8 Plus • CK10
I have no connection to ACEMAGIC other than being a customer and long time forum member
dahvee

Post by dahvee »

Any updates on this issue? I'm experiencing the same problem. The 2.5" drive does not show up in Windows Disk Management or in BIOS. Same issue with two different drives. Is there a setting in BIOS I need to change?
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post by Gabe »

dahvee,

Unfortunately, the admin won't be back until Sunday evening, or at least what's Sunday evening where I am in the US. In the meantime someone may have a suggestion, but you can also try contacting ACEPC after sales support at service@iacepc.com.

The only thing I can suggest is making sure the drive is fully seated in the adapter. Make sure to press it firmly in, but not so hard it might break, of course.
W8 Pro • GK1 • AK3 • AM02 • T6 Pro • AMR5 • GK3 Pro • AD03 • AM06 Pro • T8 Pro • S1 • T8 Plus • CK10
I have no connection to ACEMAGIC other than being a customer and long time forum member
dahvee

Post by dahvee »

Windows is installed on the 128GB drive that came with the AK1. My plan was to use the 2.5" 2TB drive as storage. Can i use both drives at the same time?
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post by Gabe »

dahvee,

Yes. You can use both at the same time, as in the onboard 128GB for Windows and your add on 2TB drive for storage.

Some people even use the add on storage for Windows as well, as if it's an SSD it tends to be faster than the onboard storage the unit comes with. That's what I did with my AK3, though with a 250GB Samsung SSD. I store most of my "extra" stuff on USB external drives, so the 250GB SSD is good enough for Windows and whatever few things I need to have handy. The increase in Windows' responsiveness with my SSD in comparison to using the onboard eMMC storage is noticeable. I think some of the newer units come with mSATA instead of eMMC storage, which would negate a lot of the responsiveness difference I'm seeing, as mSATA can be speedy.
dahvee

Post by dahvee »

The drive wasn't plugged in properly. The drive is now recognized. Thanks for the help.
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post by Gabe »

dahvee wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 6:41 pm The drive wasn't plugged in properly. The drive is now recognized. Thanks for the help.
You're quite welcome. I'm glad it was that easy of a fix.

It's been noted in another thread that the drive connection can be a little "off" in the cases of these and similar models, so it's something that ACEPC should take note of to improve.

Again, though, I'm glad you were able to get it connected and working. 🙂
witt

Post by witt »

dahvee wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 6:41 pm The drive wasn't plugged in properly. The drive is now recognized. Thanks for the help.
You can take out the internal mSATA ssd, install 2.5 SSD separately and reinstall windows to 2.5 SSD
dahvee

Post by dahvee »

Well the 2.5 inch drive is not recognized again. Worked for ~4 months :(

Again verified the drive is good by connecting to a SATA to USB adapter. I'm convinced the problem is with the inter connect between the main PC and the external drive case. It's a shame since I'm really happy with the PC otherwise.

I see Amazon pulled support for ACEPC. Does ACEPC still support it's products? How do I contact ACEPC to get a replacement?

Return to “J3455(AK1)”