M.2 SATA or NVME?

Come here to find solutions to difficult problems!
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Re: M.2 SATA or NVME?

Post by Gabe »

admin,

What is the NVMe size limit for yjchoi17's system board? Is it 512GB? 1TB?

His board is the GK1_V1.1 2018.05.08.
W8 Pro • GK1 • AK3 • AM02 • T6 Pro • AMR5 • GK3 Pro • AD03 • AM06 Pro • T8 Pro • S1 • T8 Plus • CK10
I have no connection to ACEMAGIC other than being a customer and long time forum member
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post by Gabe »

yjchoi17,

Once the admin answers my question regarding the NVMe size limit I would stick to that. I wouldn't trust that a larger drive would work, and spending the money on one that's larger, only to not have it work, or work properly, would be very aggravating, to say the least.
W8 Pro • GK1 • AK3 • AM02 • T6 Pro • AMR5 • GK3 Pro • AD03 • AM06 Pro • T8 Pro • S1 • T8 Plus • CK10
I have no connection to ACEMAGIC other than being a customer and long time forum member
yjchoi17

Post by yjchoi17 »

admin wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:16 am Hello, I’m sorry for our negligence. In 19 years, we made the Nvme protocol slot, which gave the GK3 slot two protocols. Sorry for your misunderstanding. After judgment, this slot is suitable for M .2Nvme protocol hard disk.
This just confuses me even more. My model is GK2, not GK3. And although I bought it early 2019, it was produced in 2018. So, NVME or SATA for the M.2 slot?
GK2 (discontinued model, J4105/4GB/64GB+512GB NVMe*/with Noctua Fan/Windows 10 Home)
* Not all GK2's support NVMe. Check before installing.
W5 Pro (a.k.a. "T5", Z8350/4GB/64GB/Dead CMOS Battery removed/Kubuntu)
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post by Gabe »

yjchoi17,

It's likely that the admin transposed model numbers. The most important thing is the info from the board itself, which you provided and I made sure to include in my request. Sometimes the language barrier seems to get in the way a bit, but with my post being as simple as possible, while including the necessary info, hopefully you'll get the info you need to upgrade it.

I really do wish they had a database with upgrade info about each model AND system board, and accessible to us customers. It sure would make things a lot easier, and less frustrating.
yjchoi17

Post by yjchoi17 »

Gabe wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:07 am I really do wish they had a database with upgrade info about each model AND system board, and accessible to us customers. It sure would make things a lot easier, and less frustrating.
Totally agree with this part. Things would be so much easier if we could just get readily-available accurate info without asking, then waiting a few days to provide additional info, then wait another few days to get the answer. Same goes for BIOS. Yes, it's true that you have to be very careful with BIOS, but it's on the user if things go wrong. The BIOS themselves should be available and provided without having to ask for one.

As you can see in my profile signature, I own 2 ACEPC products and really like them. Although I'm not as active as you on this forum, I do enjoy the forum and interacting with fellow users. But at some point, the frustration becomes too much.

I regress...back to the question. And this is for ADMIN.

GK2 (GK1.1 2018.05.08) . DOES THE M.2 SLOT ON THIS MACHINE USE NVME? OR DOES IT USE SATA? WHICHEVER IT IS, WHAT IS THE SIZE LIMIT? (IF THERE IS ANY LIMIT)
GK2 (discontinued model, J4105/4GB/64GB+512GB NVMe*/with Noctua Fan/Windows 10 Home)
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hello, thank you very much for your love for us. GK2 and GK3 use the same motherboard. I'm sorry I didn't explain this. According to your description, your GK2 slot supports NVME format hard drives. There is no limit to the size of the hard disk. Please purchase the hard disk according to your own needs.
We will try to make a table of hard drives available for each model. This is a good idea, but we will make additional explanations due to the GK series's particularity.
Thanks for joining the forum fans, we will become friends here. Any suggestions about the forum I am open to hearing.
yjchoi17

Post by yjchoi17 »

admin wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:22 am Hello, thank you very much for your love for us. GK2 and GK3 use the same motherboard. I'm sorry I didn't explain this. According to your description, your GK2 slot supports NVME format hard drives. There is no limit to the size of the hard disk. Please purchase the hard disk according to your own needs.
We will try to make a table of hard drives available for each model. This is a good idea, but we will make additional explanations due to the GK series's particularity.
Okay, got it. Hope the case is closed.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thank you very much for your patience, and I wish you a pleasant experience.
Thanks for joining the forum fans, we will become friends here. Any suggestions about the forum I am open to hearing.
yjchoi17

Post by yjchoi17 »

My NVMe drive arrived in the mail today. Installed it and it works. I cloned my system disk to the new NVMe and all is good.

Case closed!
luv2danc2

Post by luv2danc2 »

I too bought a M.2 sata 512 ssd, but it was not recognized by Disk management, BIOS or Partition Magic in my Gk-1, 8 gb. The Gk-1 video shows it is, and when I sent an email, Nick says it fits! Wrong! Searching Amazon nvme 512 ssds, I found a reviewer that had photos showing that his gk1 uses the nvme and not the SATA, and he says his gk1 recognized it immediately. So that's what I ordered and keeping my fingers crossed that it'll fit and be recognized when it arrives. Hope my case will be closed too as I want to clone the operating system to it from my 2 terabyte Seagate mechanical hard drive in the cradle. As a side note a Windows pro operating system was installed on a 128 GB SSD in the cradle! Which precluded me from using a two terabyte Seagate hard drive as I originated planed to. The description on Amazon showed that the operating system was on the motherboard and the cradle was supposed to be empty and capable of holding an additional 2.5 in SSD. Oh well it's not a perfect world.

Return to “Computer Technology Zone”