New BIOS

Come here to find solutions to difficult problems!
RLGuzila

New BIOS

Post by RLGuzila »

After having the machine about a week, and following what I suspect was a Windows update, the system started running with a particular program "lntel(R)PTT EK Recertification Service" generally using up between 30% and 45% of the CPU all the time.

I did some research and found that Intel suggests a) driver updates for their NUC machines and b) a BIOS update. The driver updates only apply to NUC machines.

I e-mailed the vendor, they were quite responsive and polite but ultimately could not / did not provide me with a more recent BIOS version or a location where I could get BIOS updates in the future, nor any updated drivers. In fact, the only BIOS version they could offer was about a year older than the one installed on the machine. The one installed on my machine is dated 2020-09-25.

After a few e-mails the vendor said it was a Microsoft problem and I should wait for Microsoft to fix it.

I also installed and ran the Intel Driver Updater but it was not of any help on this issue.

I followed up with Intel, they said I need a new BIOS update to correct the issue.

At this point, the only way I've found to get around this program running at the high percentages is to end-task it thru MS Task Manager everytime I start up / reboot the machine. (I could likely also uninstall it, but don't know if I could ever find a version of it for this machine if I did - from Intel it seems to be NUC specific and this machine is not a NUC.

Also oddly while the program has 'Service' in its name it appears to run as an app.

In any case, from what I read this diminishes the machine's ability to do various security-related things, like use bitlocker.

Do you have a fix for this issue?

Thank you
HighCPU.jpg
HighCPU.jpg (403.94 KiB) Viewed 3772 times
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New BIOS

Post by admin »

Thanks for joining the forum fans, we will become friends here. Any suggestions about the forum I am open to hearing.
RLGuzila

Post by RLGuzila »

I am sorry but that is a totally unacceptable long-term solution - and one I referenced in my original post.

I do not want to disable a security feature, I want it to work.

For it to work, according to Intel, apparently a BIOS update is required.

Are you working on this?
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Updating the BIOS will not solve this problem. You can find the engineer’s answer on Microsoft’s official website. Intel’s certification service causes this error, and disabling this service will not put your computer in danger. Windows Security Center is more reliable.
Thanks for joining the forum fans, we will become friends here. Any suggestions about the forum I am open to hearing.
RLGuzila

Post by RLGuzila »

Regarding
You can find the engineer’s answer on Microsoft’s official website.
I can't find that answer on Microsoft's official website, can you please provide a link to it?
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

This is a question and answer between Microsoft engineers and customers:
1.jpg
1.jpg (162.61 KiB) Viewed 3718 times
Find more answers in the intel forum: https://community.intel.com/t5/forums/s ... %20Service
RLGuzila

Post by RLGuzila »

You have provided a link to the intel site, not the Microsoft site.

I don't see anywhere on the site that Intel is advising that this is a Microsoft problem, or a problem between Microsoft engineers and its customers.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hello, this is due to the high occupancy of the PTT service caused by Microsoft's Update. Under normal circumstances, there will be no such high occupancy rate. So this is related to Microsoft's update.

Return to “Computer Technology Zone”