Expansion Options of GK3V model 8GB DDR4 RAM

Jeff_C

Expansion Options of GK3V model 8GB DDR4 RAM

Post by Jeff_C »

I recently bought this model and was surprised to see that the main drive containing the Win 10 Pro operating system was a 128GB SSD rather than eMMC which I was expecting. I was hoping to put in a 256GB SSD or larger in the SSD caddy so that storage could be improved with a decently fast SSD. What are my expansion options? Is there an operational NVMe PCIe M.2 2242 slot under the motherboard? There is some suggestion that there is but these mini PCs come in many different configurations

Attachments
ACEPC GK3V.jpg
ACEPC GK3V.jpg (1.5 MiB) Viewed 5093 times
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Re: Expansion Options of GK3V model 8GB DDR4 RAM

Post by Gabe »

Jeff_C,

For reference, I've moved your topic to a new section.

I would take a look at the system board. If it looks like it does here, including the "GK1_V2.2", it can definitely use a 2242 NVMe drive.

Other than this, you can still upgrade the SATA SSD to something larger and better. To do this you have two options...

1. Clone from the existing SSD to the new SSD, then swap them. However, you'll need a USB - SATA adapter cable to facilitate the cloning. Some SSDs even come with one of these (check to make sure it does). Or, you could even use a USB external HDD case/caddy, temporarily, if you have one.

2. Install the new SSD and install the system onto that new SSD from scratch. This is what I would do, given the choice, as it would be easier, and installing fresh tends to be better than cloning when the SSDs aren't exactly the same. You can get W10 2004 for the AK3 here. You can save any important files on the existing drive on a USB flash drive to reinstall on the new SSD after Windows installation.
W8 Pro • GK1 • AK3 • AM02 • T6 Pro • AMR5 • GK3 Pro • AD03 • AM06 Pro • T8 Pro • S1 • T8 Plus • CK10
I have no connection to ACEMAGIC other than being a customer and long time forum member
Jeff_C

Post by Jeff_C »

Thanks for your response Gabe
Mine has the J4125 Celeron processor. I bought it from Amazon UK on a lightning deal on 31 Januuary 2021 so it was very good value at the time of purchase. I have read the thread you posted the link to. I have also now dismantled my mini-PC to photo my board. As you can see if I attach the image correctly it is marked GK1_V23 2020.09.04 It does have a M.2 2242 slot. My question for admin and the manufacturer would be "Is this slot fully operational?" I have read that many features may be locked down in the BIOS. I do not want to be getting a NVMe SSD if it will not work in my iteration of mini-PC.

Although I know a little, I have never cloned a drive, or reinstalled W10 on another drive but would be willing to give it a go if I could be sure I have the correct disk image, or fresh install image for my mini-PC if that turns out to be a better and cheaper upgrade option than a NVMe SSD.
Attachments
GK1 V23 (crop).jpg
GK1 V23 (crop).jpg (1.24 MiB) Viewed 5061 times
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post by Gabe »

Jeff_C,

My apologies. I accidentally conflated your GK3 with the AK3 when referring to the Windows 10 installation files. That link should have been to this, which is for the GK3.

I've PMed the admin to be sure he sees your post and can answer the m.2 slot questions.
W8 Pro • GK1 • AK3 • AM02 • T6 Pro • AMR5 • GK3 Pro • AD03 • AM06 Pro • T8 Pro • S1 • T8 Plus • CK10
I have no connection to ACEMAGIC other than being a customer and long time forum member
Jeff_C

Post by Jeff_C »

Thanks again Gabe
Before your latest response I did find the link to the system files download for my board so I downloaded the archive in readiness for setting up a fresh install. The video tutorial was also very helpful, and shows it is not at all difficult to do. A decent 500GB SATA SSD in the caddy under the lid with a fresh system files install is looking like the better upgrade option now. I would still like to know whether the M.2 slot is fully operational for future reference so thanks for flagging my post up for the admin.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: GK3V 型号 8GB DDR4 RAM 的扩展选项

Post by admin »

Hello, thank you for your patience, you can install M.2 SATA format hard disk to expand storage.
Thanks for joining the forum fans, we will become friends here. Any suggestions about the forum I am open to hearing.
Jeff_C

Post by Jeff_C »

Thanks for the information @admin

Although the M.2 slot looks like it will accept SATA memory (which has 2 notches in the edge connector), it looks like it is designed particularly for NVMe with a single notch. I have been trying to research a bit more about this memory interface, but remain a bit confused. Can anyone provide further information.

I ask because it is the 2242 form factor which pushes the cost up. 2242 SATA and NVMe seem similarly priced here in the UK but I have read that NVMe is the faster/better. SATA memory in the M.2 slot will only perform similarly to a 2.5 inch SATA drive which can be good but not the best in today's world.

If I can be sure NVMe will work in the M.2 slot I am inclined to expand my unit with either a 250GB or 500GB M.2 NVMe boot drive to hold the Win10 Pro
OS and other programs/storage and keep the 128 GB HooDisk SATA SSD in the caddy under the lid as additional storage.

Does anyone see any downsides that I have not thought about to this upgrade path?
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post by Gabe »

Edited: N/A
Jeff_C

Post by Jeff_C »

An M.2 SATA SSD will physically fit the single notch M.2 slot. The link here might give some clarification

https://superuser.com/questions/1303299 ... -nvme-port
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post by Gabe »

Jeff_C wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:15 am An M.2 SATA SSD will physically fit the single notch M.2 slot. The link here might give some clarification

https://superuser.com/questions/1303299 ... -nvme-port
You're right. I was confusing it with the other way around.

Return to “J4125(GK3)”