I need to downgrade my T6 to a better OS

brittle_toothpick

I need to downgrade my T6 to a better OS

Post by brittle_toothpick »

I bought a T6 with Z8350, 4GB RAM, 64GB onboard storage, and Windows 10 Pro. However, even for my minimum basic Internet surfing, word processing, and paint.net app usage, it is slower than anything I've owned in a decade. Even trying to load the Windows' Task Manager took almost two minutes to load to see what was slowing down the whole stick PC. When the Task Manager did appear, it showed RAM usage at over 70% all the time and CPU usage always over 90%. I couldn't believe the constant overload.
I need to downgrade to 64-bit Windows XP. Can anyone clearly show or tell me how to do that? I've already used AOMEI Partition Assistant to erase the old OS, so the onboard storage is empty and ready for a new OS.
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Re: I need to downgrade my T6 to a better OS

Post by Gabe »

brittle_toothpick,

Depending on what's causing the high CPU and RAM usage, there may be a solution. The Task Manager can be used to tell you what process(es) is causing the problem.

As for Windows XP, you'll likely have to find it somewhere on the net, as ACEPC is not going to have one of their own tweaked versions available. You're also likely to have problems with the drivers, if the Z8350 processor and other components will even support XP. Regarding XP itself, unless you don't plan on using the internet, I wouldn't at all recommend it, as it's no longer supported, of which I'm sure you're aware. It's progressively becoming sieve with regard to security holes. Lastly, you'll have to have a product key for Windows XP, but again, I don't even know that it would work with the processor in the T6.

If you really want to downgrade to something less resource hungry, I'd recommend either Windows 8.1 or even a Linux distro. You'll likely have better luck obtaining drivers for Windows 8.1, and the Z8350 processor definitely does support it. I don't have a T6, but I do have a T8, which has many of the same components, including the Z8350 processor. The T8 originally came with Windows 8.1.

If you do want to try to figure out what's causing the problem, I'd reinstall the OS and then look for the cause of the high usage in the Task Manager. Remember, if you click on a column you can change what's shown first, like with the CPU column to show the highest usage process at the top. If you need the OS (W10 Pro 1909), you can get it here...

The installation tutorial is here...

W8 Pro • GK1 • AK3 • AM02 • T6 Pro • AMR5 • GK3 Pro • AD03 • AM06 Pro • T8 Pro • S1 • T8 Plus • CK10
I have no connection to ACEMAGIC other than being a customer and long time forum member
brittle_toothpick

Gabe,

Your first attachment looked like another Windows 10 version 1909 installation file, judging by the 6GB file size. Your second attachment was unloadable under MS Edge, Firefox or Brave.

As for your strange comments about Task Manager, the entire eMMC internal storage of my T6 is empty. I used AOMEI Partition Assistant get rid of the problematic Win10 OS, and all additional drivers and apps. It. Is. Empty. There is no Task Manager to use.

Yes, you are correct in stating surfing the Internet with a WinXP computer is completely unwise. I'm not going to use my T6 for Internet usage. I have other purposes for the T6. What I need is clear instructions on how to install another OS. I have tried using a DVD containing Unbuntu 20.04 without success. All attempts of trying a USB drive to install an OS have failed as well.
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post by Gabe »

brittle_toothpick,

I'm well aware that your onboard storage has been wiped. As for my "strange comments" about the Task Manager, they were given in the event you wanted to reinstall the system to troubleshoot, as was indicated. And yes, the file is for Windows 10 Pro 1909, also as was indicated.

The second file should be showing for you. It's a video. If it's not, try clearing your browser cache. There also may be something on your system that is preventing the video from loading properly. Conversely, because this site automatically converts the URL into the aforementioned video for viewing, you can remove the X from each end of the following so that you can view the video clip on Google Drive itself, if you wish...

Xhttps://drive.google.com/file/d/11UwjWXIhhLZEfLr-rOmOp4_ll9UdBole/viewX

Regarding XP, hopefully someone who's installed it on the T6 or similar will see this thread and provide instructions.

Good luck.
W8 Pro • GK1 • AK3 • AM02 • T6 Pro • AMR5 • GK3 Pro • AD03 • AM06 Pro • T8 Pro • S1 • T8 Plus • CK10
I have no connection to ACEMAGIC other than being a customer and long time forum member
brittle_toothpick

I tried all of your instructions, Gabe. The Task Manager was even slower than before to load.
https://www.neowin.net/news/pc-build-gu ... around-375 had a very clear quote validating my belief.
"Modern OSes like Windows 10 work best with a minimum of 8GB of RAM and are especially handy when running multiple browser tabs that easily gobble up resources."
I used AOMEI Partition Assistant once again to erase the unusable Window 10 Pro from my T6. A stick computer with only 4Gb RAM is perfectly suited for 64-bit Windows XP. I have an old 32-bit Pentium 4 desktop computer with Windows XP SP3, and it is the most crash-proof computer I have ever owned. Whoever dreamed a computer with only 4GB RAM could run Windows 10 must be doing something unusual or dreaming. I tend to think the later.

Good luck with your stick computer, Gabe. I'm still looking for someone to show me how to install 64-bit Windows XP on my T6.
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post by Gabe »

brittle_toothpick,

The steps I suggested were to see what the task manager was showing as being the cause of the issue, not what the task manager was showing overall. Again, it was as a troubleshooting tool to see the separate processes and which ones were using the most resources.

For the record, I don't have a stick computer, but I have a T8 that has the same components as a T6, including the processor and RAM. Though it's slow because of the processor itself, it runs W10 20H2 as well as can be expected for a Z8350 processor. I also have a GK1 with 4GB of RAM, and it runs very well. Enough to be able to be a basic desktop replacement.

Good luck.
zogoibi

Post by zogoibi »

brittle_toothpick wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:35 pm I tried all of your instructions, Gabe. The Task Manager was even slower than before to load.
https://www.neowin.net/news/pc-build-gu ... around-375 had a very clear quote validating my belief.
"Modern OSes like Windows 10 work best with a minimum of 8GB of RAM and are especially handy when running multiple browser tabs that easily gobble up resources."
I used AOMEI Partition Assistant once again to erase the unusable Window 10 Pro from my T6. A stick computer with only 4Gb RAM is perfectly suited for 64-bit Windows XP. I have an old 32-bit Pentium 4 desktop computer with Windows XP SP3, and it is the most crash-proof computer I have ever owned. Whoever dreamed a computer with only 4GB RAM could run Windows 10 must be doing something unusual or dreaming. I tend to think the later.

Good luck with your stick computer, Gabe. I'm still looking for someone to show me how to install 64-bit Windows XP on my T6.
I also would've loved to get rid of the gargantuan Win10 and replace it with XP, but I believe the issue here is not "how to install Win XP on a T6" (which shouldn't be that difficult, with the help of a USB Linux-tool and Virtualbox), but "where to find the XP drivers for the T6 components. I believe there are no (and there will never be) such drivers. Perhaps we'd be luckier with Win 7, trying to use the drivers provided for Win 10. I've read that there's some backwards compatibility between 10 and 7. But only to think of the workload of such undertake... I don't think I have the energy, most of all considering there's no guarantee of success.
zogoibi

Post by zogoibi »

Just a short follow-up of this thread, in case someone is interested:
In my quest for improving performance, I did a fresh install of Win 8.1 in my T6. Installation succeeded, but important drivers were missing from out-of-the-box Win8.1, like wifi-bluetooth combo antenna (i.e., no network at all) and sound over hdmi. I then tried installing all the drivers I could find inside the driver zip file provided in the download section on these forums, but no luck: even though some new devices showed up as seen in the device manager, yet those mentioned were unrecognized.
So, if someone is thinking of downgrading Win10 to Win8.1, you can spare yourself the trouble. It doesn't work out... unless you know better, of course.
Good luck!

Return to “Z8350(T6)”