W5 Pro (T5) BIOS update error

Quick Fix.
yjchoi17

W5 Pro (T5) BIOS update error

Post by yjchoi17 »

I am trying to update my W5 Pro (T5) to the latest BIOS (T50008)
I followed your instructions, but get an error message saying "Secure Flash function is not supported on this file"
Can you tell me what I am doing wrong?
yjchoi17

Re: W5 Pro (T5) BIOS update error

Post by yjchoi17 »

BTW, I would like to update the BIOS because the current BIOS doesn't have options for Auto Boot after power failure. So please don't tell me I shouldn't mess with the BIOS.
yjchoi17

Post by yjchoi17 »

Never mind, I figured it out myself. Instead of using the AFU tool, I flashed the BIOS using the USB memory stick method.
The real pain was actually getting the files together since they are scattered all over this forum.
Honestly, this shouldn't be so complicated like this.
trancee

Post by trancee »

I would also like to update the BIOS.

Are you willing to share all the files you needed and give step-by-step instructions on how to do this with USB?
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hello, why do you need to update the BIOS? We will find the corresponding BIOS for you and tell you whether you should update it.
Thanks for joining the forum fans, we will become friends here. Any suggestions about the forum I am open to hearing.
yjchoi17

Post by yjchoi17 »

trancee wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:45 am I would also like to update the BIOS.

Are you willing to share all the files you needed and give step-by-step instructions on how to do this with USB?
Sorry, after updating my unit, I deleted all the files since that was going to be a one-time thing.
1. What I do remember is that you get the BIOS file (.bin) for the W5 pro, (doing a search on the forum will get you the download link)
2. then use that file to replace the BIOS file (.bin) inside an update "package" meant for a different model. (I think it was the T8 or T11. Again, search this forum)
3. You will have to edit the command.com or whatever file to point to the T5 BIOS file. (This part I can't remember very well, so you need to do some homework)
4. Then put all the stuff inside a USB thumbdrive and follow the update directions that accompanies the update package mentioned in step 2. (Another thing I remember in this step is that the USB thumbdrive has to have a certain volume name. It won't work if the volume has any arbitrary name.)

Hope this helps, as having the updated BIOS makes the product's user experience much better.
GK2 (discontinued model, J4105/4GB/64GB+512GB NVMe*/with Noctua Fan/Windows 10 Home)
* Not all GK2's support NVMe. Check before installing.
W5 Pro (a.k.a. "T5", Z8350/4GB/64GB/Dead CMOS Battery removed/Kubuntu)
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post by Gabe »

For reference, a BIOS update should only be performed if there is genuine need and/or if the newer BIOS offers something the current BIOS doesn't, and again, something that's needed.

A BIOS shouldn't be upgraded just for the sake of having the latest one, as flashing a BIOS always carries the risk of bricking the unit if anything goes wrong.
W8 Pro • GK1 • AK3 • AM02 • T6 Pro • AMR5 • GK3 Pro • AD03 • AM06 Pro • T8 Pro • S1 • T8 Plus • CK10
I have no connection to ACEMAGIC other than being a customer and long time forum member
luvared

Post by luvared »

Gabe wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:01 pm For reference, a BIOS update should only be performed if there is genuine need and/or if the newer BIOS offers something the current BIOS doesn't, and again, something that's needed.

A BIOS shouldn't be upgraded just for the sake of having the latest one, as flashing a BIOS always carries the risk of bricking the unit if anything goes wrong.
I have the T5 version with only 2GB/32GB memory.
BIOS version 2.17.1249 (2017)
I need to have Auto Power On but I cannot find it in the BIOS, where can I enable it?
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post by Gabe »

luvared,

If there's no option for "auto power on" or "power on after G3" in the Boot section of the BIOS, it likely doesn't have the option. Whether there is a BIOS update to provide it I don't know, but you can contact after sales support at service@iacepc.com to see.
W8 Pro • GK1 • AK3 • AM02 • T6 Pro • AMR5 • GK3 Pro • AD03 • AM06 Pro • T8 Pro • S1 • T8 Plus • CK10
I have no connection to ACEMAGIC other than being a customer and long time forum member

Return to “Troubleshooting”