RESOLVED: How can I enable WOL for the CK10 (i5-12450H)?

hsehestedt

RESOLVED: How can I enable WOL for the CK10 (i5-12450H)?

Post by hsehestedt »

I'm sure that I must be missing something obvious, but for the life of me I cannot figure out how to enable WOL on this model.

I have disabled Fast Startup in Windows, for the Ethernet adapter I have enabled all the WOL related settings. In addition, the Power Management settings are set to enable these settings:

Allow the device to wake this computer
Only allow a magic packet to wake the computer

I believe that what is missing is that I see no option in the BIOS to enable Wake On LAN.

I have 3 other Mini PCs, 2 laptops, and 4 desktop system on which I have WOL enabled and it's fairly straight forward on all of them, but I just cannot seem to figure it out on this system.
Last edited by hsehestedt on Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hsehestedt

Re: How can I enable WOL for the CK10 (i5-12450H)?

Post by hsehestedt »

Follow-up to my original post:

I have some new information that leads me to believe that this is a limitation of this system, but ultimately, I would still like to get confirmation on this if that is at all possible.

I have discovered that WOL will work on this system under these conditions:

1) System is in a SLEEP state.
2) System is in HIBERNATION state.

It will NOT work when the system is completely shut down.

Notes: There is a setting for the Realtek LAN adapter in Windows called "Shutdown Wake-On-LAN". It makes no difference whether this is enabled or disabled. Also, it is worth noting that my primary desktop system, based on an ASUS motherboard, behaved exactly like this with early BIOS versions. Suddenly, after a BIOS update, the behavior changed so that WOL was possible from a shutdown state as well.

This is not my preferred outcome, but at least so long as a remember to perform a hibernate rather than a shut down, I will have WOL.

Still, I would like to hear back if there is any way that I am simply missing that would allow for a WOL from a shutdown state or if this is simply a limitation that I will need to live with.
hsehestedt

Re: RESOLVED: How can I enable WOL for the CK10 (i5-12450H)?

Post by hsehestedt »

EDIT: Revising the solution because I have discovered yet more...

Okay, this is different from all my other machines, but I have resolved this. In the power setting for the Realtek adapter, enable all 3 of these options:

Allow computer to turn off this device to save power
Allow this device to wake the computer
Only allow a magic packet to wake the computer

In addition, go to Control Panel > Power options > Choose what the power buttons do. On this screen enable the option called "Turn on fast startup (recommended)".

Technical info: This makes sense in an odd way. It seems that this system technically does not support WOL from shutdown, but it does support it from hibernation or sleep. When Fast Startup is enabled, you are technically entering performing a sort of modified hibernation, allowing WOL to work from a shutdown state.

Interestingly, all of my other system require that Fast Startup be disabled for this very same reason, because they support WOL from a shutdown state and NOT hibernation or sleep. Because fast startup puts the system into a sort of hibernation state WOL fails on those systems.

What a mess - but it now all makes complete sense when you understand the mechanics behind these settings :-)

Apologies for the length of my posts, but hopefully this helps someone else as well.
hsehestedt

Post by hsehestedt »

More information regarding this issue:

I discovered that I could have avoided all this by doing one simple thing:

Leave the Realtek LAN drivers alone!

I found that when I restored the originally shipped Realtek drivers, it all just worked perfectly. This is another example of why it is such a good idea to backup all your original drivers! Here is what I suggest that you do:

When the system is still brand new, before you start applying all sorts of updates, make a backup of the original drivers on your system. You can do this by running a command like this from an elevated command prompt:

pnputil /export-driver * C:\Drivers_Backup

NOTE: You need to create the destination folder before you run the above command. In the example above, I am saving the drivers to C:\Drivers_Backup.

After you save the drivers, I would suggest copying them to someplace safe like a thumb drive, another computer, or an external hard drive. This backs up ALL drivers for your system.
barry777

Post by barry777 »

Thank you very much for the information you shared, I hope more people know these steps.

Return to “i5-8279U/i7-10810U/i7-10710U/i7-11390H/i5-12450H (CK10- series)”