Random power off - how to solve.

captniven

Random power off - how to solve.

Post by captniven »

My AK1 nipogi runs win 10 and has a problem with randomly powering off when unattended.
The power settings are set so it should stay on indefinitely, but it doesnt!
Sometimes it will power down in an hour or so, sometimes it takes days.
Not great when its running as a plex audio server!
Bios version 1ATJS 0.58 x64
Build date 06/14/2022

Any ideas?
dragonpoo

Re: Random power off - how to solve.

Post by dragonpoo »

I don't have that specific model, but general recommendations are:

Does it enter standby/sleep, hibernation, or shutdown?
Check the Windows Event logs, specifically the Windows > System logs. Something would be entered when it turns off, probably as a Kernel-Power entry. What shows up in there?
Check the BIOS for any power control settings. Probably do a BIOS factory reset, unless you have added any custom settings you want to keep. It's unlikely that a default BIOS setting would shut it down.
Make sure you're running current drivers, if possible.
Check the Windows power control settings (Settings > System > Power & Sleep, AND Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Power Options. You should find something about Hibernation or Sleep settings.

Let us know what you find!
GK3V (J4125/8GB/128GB) | AMR5 (R5 5600U/16GB/512GB NVMe) | JK06 (N5100/8GB/256GB) | AK1Pro (N5105/8GB/256GB) | T8Pro (N5095/8GB/256GB) | AD03 (N95/8GB/256GB) | CK10 (i7-10810U/16GB/512GB) | S1 (N95/16GB/512GB)
barry777

Post by barry777 »

If this problem occurred to you recently, it is recommended to uninstall the recent Windows update files;
In this case, we recommend that you try the following
1. First check whether there is any abnormality in the driver. If there is any abnormality, it is recommended to repair the driver;
2. If you have this problem recently, it is recommended to uninstall the recent Windows update files;
3. Reinstall the system; since we currently have less information, please provide detailed model information or send the Amazon purchase order number to the email: barry@minipcunion.com. After we verify the detailed model and problems, we will pass Email to help you resolve this issue.
captniven

Post by captniven »

Hi - I've set all the windows settings correctly, and also had a look at the bios settings, tried making some changes. Still the same problem.
I've now installed tiny10 on it and re-installed new drivers.
If anything the shutdown issue has increased in frequency.
Barry777, I'll email you. Thanks.
Thanks dragonpoo - all hibernation and sleep settings are turned off - as on other machines I have operated like this.
I checked the logs and theres no indication of any event just prior to the shut down, there's a notification of 'unexpected shutdown' due to power loss or some such event that logs when it starts up again, but no - power consistency is not an issue here. It gives the time of the shut down which allows me to see no event has been logged immediately prior to shutdown. Thanks for the suggestion.
Its a mystery. As it stands, its just not fit for purpose.
dragonpoo

Post by dragonpoo »

captniven wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 5:26 pmI checked the logs and theres no indication of any event just prior to the shut down, there's a notification of 'unexpected shutdown' due to power loss or some such event that logs when it starts up again, but no - power consistency is not an issue here. It gives the time of the shut down which allows me to see no event has been logged immediately prior to shutdown. Thanks for the suggestion.
If there's nothing in the Windows event logs, it's probably external to the operating system; either a hardware issue, or the power supply itself. Hopefully working with Barry and the tech support team leads to a solution. (make sure to share what happens, so others know in case this comes up again)
GK3V (J4125/8GB/128GB) | AMR5 (R5 5600U/16GB/512GB NVMe) | JK06 (N5100/8GB/256GB) | AK1Pro (N5105/8GB/256GB) | T8Pro (N5095/8GB/256GB) | AD03 (N95/8GB/256GB) | CK10 (i7-10810U/16GB/512GB) | S1 (N95/16GB/512GB)

Return to “J3455(AK1)”