S1 Bluetooth Problems

mini PC with display!
Groch

S1 Bluetooth Problems

Post by Groch »

The Bluetooth on my S1 has serious issues. I would appreciate it if other users could compare their Bluetooth experience.

It connects OK with the Bluetooth Mice I have tried.
It sees Bluetooth Earbuds in pairing mode, and connects about 1/2 the time, fails to connect the other half. It then loses connection almost immediately and will not reconnect unless I remove the device and pair again.

I have tried both BT3 and BT 5 keyboards. It sees them to pair, but I have to try 3-4 times before it pairs. If the keyboard or S1 sleeps, it will not reconnect, and I have to remove/re-pair to get them working again. The keyboard will not waken the S1, and is not paired on reboot. I have to forget the device and re-pair.

My S1 is stock 22h2 except for the updated LED program. When I noticed the Bluetooth problems, I updated the Realtek 8852BE WiFi and Bluetooth drivers from the 2022 original drivers to the current 6/28/23 1.10.1061.3002 drivers. This has not helped, and I do not see the original drivers to roll back to.

WiFi works fine, and the driver update may have speeded it up a bit.

It could be an antenna issue, but unlike my other AceMagic PCs, I do not know where to find the antenna connection. Is my S1 issue unique? Thanks for your help on this.
hsehestedt

Re: S1 Bluetooth Problems

Post by hsehestedt »

I have only tried two Bluetooth devices thus far. The first is a Logitech mouse and that worked flawlessly. The second is a set of Sony headphones. I could not get the computer to even see the headphones to pair with them until I brought the headphones within about 1 foot of the system. Once connected I was experiencing repeated dropouts in the audio, every few seconds. By every few seconds, I mean like every 3 or 4 seconds, it's just that bad. That was at a distance of about 3 feet from the system.

I should note that I have used these headphones with quite a few different devices from an Android phone to several PCs and have never experienced a difficulty until now. Admittedly, all the PCs I have tested with use Intel Bluetooth / WiFi adapters.

Note that I have not updated the Bluetooth driver at all. I will try to do some additional testing, but I may not have the chance to do that until tomorrow. In the meantime, let's see if anyone else has tried any Bluetooth devices.

In the meantime, I started a download of the official Realtek Bluetooth and WiFi drivers, but their web site is SLOW SLOW SLOW. Looks like it will take 40 minutes to download a 70MB file! Also, the latest drivers are listed as being from 2017 so I don't even know if that is different from what is already installed.

I'll let you know what happens in my testing.
Groch

Post by Groch »

hsehestedt, thanks for your reply. So far it appears our Bluetooth experience is almost the same.

As I stated earlier, the driver update did nothing for me. I got my updated 8852BE drivers here: https://www.elevenforum.com/t/drivers-r ... oth.11385/

We both also experienced the LED driver issue, but I cannot see that being related. I understand you have updated to 23H2, so I guess that does not help.
hsehestedt

Post by hsehestedt »

Problem solved (at least for me)!

First: You had stated "I got my updated 8852BE drivers here", however, in my case, Device Manager shows my adapter to be a Realtek 8821CE. So, I pulled down the driver directly from Realtek here:

https://www.realtek.com/en/component/zo ... e-software

NOTE: Make sure to download both the Bluetooth and WiFi driver found there.

Pairing now works flawlessly, even from a good distance. Also, I am now getting zero dropouts at all on the headphones.

I don't know if possibly two different Realtek chips are being used. It's possible as that is a common practice, but we could always compare PCI IDs I guess, but in the meantime you may just want to try this and see if it works for you as well.

For me, it made an instant world of difference.

NOTE: I was running a clean install of Windows 11 Pro 23H2, not the original factory image. However, the drivers that I had should be the original factory supplied drivers since I export those before doing a clean install and then re-import the same drivers back into the new install.

If you have any further difficulties, do let me know and I will go back to the factory install and test there to make sure we are really comparing apples to apples.
hsehestedt

Post by hsehestedt »

I did some further research - the 8852BE should NOT be the driver to use. That is a WiFi 6 adapter, which the S1 is not equipped with. So, definitely try the link that I provided. I suspect that you will have much better results :-)
Groch

Post by Groch »

Hsehestedt:

Thanks for your help again,
I am confused.

The AceMagic Product Page says the S1 has WiFi 6 & BT 5.2.

Windows Device Manager indicates the WiFi adapter is 8852BE. Device Manager on Bluetooth does not show a model.
Because of that I used both WiFi and BT adapters for that card when I updated, which it did successfully.

But, since it does not work, I will try using the driver you suggest and let you know the results.
hsehestedt

Post by hsehestedt »

Well, what do you know. It does say that (now). I got my unit only a few days ago and it did not have WiFi 6. I guess that maybe they upgraded the specs. That's rather a bummer because I run WiFi 6e here. Looking at the Amazon page where I ordered it it says this:

【Faster WiFi 5 Network & Dual Gigabit LAN】ACEMAGIC S1 Micro Computer Stay connected with the built-in 802.11ac, 2.4G + 5G dual-band WiFi 5. You'll be able to surf the web, stream video content, and engage in light gaming faster than ever before. The dual LAN port design offers versatile options for network construction, while Bluetooth 4.2 allows you to easily connect wireless peripherals.

Apologies for the confusion. I had made assumptions based upon what my S1 model had, not realizing that there were units with WiFi 6.
hsehestedt

Post by hsehestedt »

Okay, I figured it out:

The model with the 512GB SSD has WiFi 5 (on Amazon), the model with the 1TB SSD also upgrades the WiFi to WiFi 6.

On the Acemagic web site, both models list WiFi 6.
Groch

Post by Groch »

So we are not identical twins.

1. Before I saw your reply I uninstalled the Realtek Bluetooth and deleted its driver.
2. On reboot, Device Manager showed an Active Generic Bluetooth Adapter with a 2006 Windows Driver
3. The Generic Adapter tried, but could not see or connect to anything.
4. I tried to install the 8821 Realtek driver you linked to, it would not install.
5. I reinstalled the 8852BE driver, and all of the same issues remain.

I am not sure how to proceed, especially since you had the same issue, which you fixed, even though you have a different adapter.

I think I will remove the driver....so it goes generic again, and then update to 23H2 to see if windows update has a better solution.

Do you know what Windows 23H2 identified your WiFi/Bluetooth as before your updated the driver?
hsehestedt

Post by hsehestedt »

On my system the Bluetooth device did not specify a particular model, but the WiFi adapter was identified in Device Manager as the 8821CE. Since Bluetooth and WiFi are the same physical module, that would also be the Bluetooth model.

Also, note that 23H2 will make zero difference on drivers.

I may go back to the factory installation and see what that gives me, but that will take me a little while as I want to image the current 23H2 installation first and I likely won't get to this till tonight or tomorrow.

Return to “New Model S1”