Cannot boot from USB

sharpharp

Cannot boot from USB

Post by sharpharp »

Hi,
I wish to boot from USB to start Ubuntu, but i cannot do it.
How do i get USB to book USB drive? I changed secure boot to disabled, EUFI boot to USB, but it still does not work.
Please advise how to proceed, otherwise will send back for refund.
It's an Ace Magician Mini PC
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Re: Cannot boot from USB

Post by Gabe »

Though I don't know the particulars of setting it up always boot from a particular USB, try using the F7 Boot Menu. Press F7 during startup to bring up the Boot Menu screen, then try booting to it from that menu.
W8 Pro • GK1 • AK3 • AM02 • T6 Pro • AMR5 • GK3 Pro • AD03 • AM06 Pro • T8 Pro • S1 • T8 Plus • CK10
I have no connection to ACEMAGIC other than being a customer and long time forum member
sharpharp

Post by sharpharp »

Gabe wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:46 pm Though I don't know the particulars of setting it up always boot from a particular USB, try using the F7 Boot Menu. Press F7 during startup to bring up the Boot Menu screen, then try booting to it from that menu.
Already tried that before posting. F7 takes you to boot menu, I click USB and it won't book to it, just goes into Windows.
What a complete garbage AceMagician Mini PC - why on earth would you lock down the BIOS where even the customer cannot boot from a USB device? Unbelieble, this junk is going back asap
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post by Gabe »

The BIOS isn't locked down where the customer can't boot to USB.

Perhaps your USB flash drive, or the content on it, is the problem.
W8 Pro • GK1 • AK3 • AM02 • T6 Pro • AMR5 • GK3 Pro • AD03 • AM06 Pro • T8 Pro • S1 • T8 Plus • CK10
I have no connection to ACEMAGIC other than being a customer and long time forum member
sharpharp

Post by sharpharp »

Gabe wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:41 am The BIOS isn't locked down where the customer can't boot to USB.

Perhaps your USB flash drive, or the content on it, is the problem.
Nope, the USB Flash drive works perfectly fine booting from USB in every other device I've tried. I've never known a BIOS so lacking in options, the Aptio BIOS Setup is shocking, It's clearly been manipulated as it says Project version T8plus 0.01 x64

How do I even find a BIOS update for this Project version?
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post by Gabe »

Unless there is a noted issue that needs to be remedied, a BIOS upgrade is unlikely.

You can contact the tech at barry@minipcunion.com about the issue you're experiencing.
sharpharp

Post by sharpharp »

Gabe wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:53 am Unless there is a noted issue that needs to be remedied, a BIOS upgrade is unlikely.

You can contact the tech at barry@minipcunion.com about the issue you're experiencing.
But where are BIOS updates kept? Surely there is a place to download or at least check you have the latest Firmware installed?
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post by Gabe »

sharpharp wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 1:30 am But where are BIOS updates kept? Surely there is a place to download or at least check you have the latest Firmware installed?
There aren't any. Unlike many of the bigger PC manufacturers and motherboard manufacturers, they don't have a repository where more up to date BIOSes can be downloaded. They only release an update when an issue is found that needs to be remedied, which is very rarely, and even then they tend to only provide it on a case by case basis.

If you contact barry, and it's determined that the problem is related to the BIOS, they may be able to do something for you.
barry777

Post by barry777 »

In this case, we recommend you try the following:
1. Currently only supports UEFI boot;
2. You can refer to the Ubuntu system installation steps video (supports the use of USB to install the Ubuntu system):

Ubuntu 20.04 system download link (you can upgrade to the latest system online after successful installation):

Steps to install WiFi driver in Ubuntu:

3. Change the system startup sequence and default to Ubuntu system when booting.
Reference video:

Return to “N5095(T8Pro)”