Random+often freezing, can't force it to stay awake

Intel® Core™ i5-12450H Processor 12M Cache, up to 4.40 GHz
thomas.zarebczan

Random+often freezing, can't force it to stay awake

Post by thomas.zarebczan »

I'm having 2 major issues with an AD15 I bought on Amazon.

1) getting random lockups while using the device, and while idle. The screen will still be one, but nothing responds. I have to hard press the power button, and then usually it comes up and boots, but othertimes nothing comes on the screen, and I have to long press again (power light is on).

2) I want my device to be always on as I'm using it as an HTPC - I have some services running at intervals, and don't want it to sleep. I turned off all the sleep settings, but the device still goes to sleep. How to prevent sleeping?

Any bios updates that may help with these issues? Any suggestions? Maybe I just got some bad hardware? I bought it a few months ago and the problems started immediately, but I kind of lived with it. Now it's just becoming very annoying that they continue.
barry777

Re: Random+often freezing, can't force it to stay awake

Post by barry777 »

1. Enter the BIOS and restore settings,
How to enter the BIOS: Connect a wired keyboard, press the Delete key (without letting go) before turning on the computer, press the power button until the BIOS interface appears and release the Delete key;
Restore BIOS settings: In the BIOS interface, press F3/F9 (restore settings), then press F4/F10 to save the settings. The computer will automatically restart (it will automatically enter the system after restarting);
2. Check whether there are any abnormalities in the memory or other hardware (if you need to replace other memory, it is recommended to install the original memory); please refer to [How to run Windows memory diagnosis:

3. Update to the latest driver. You can try to use Driver Booster to update. Please refer to the video:

4. To use never sleep, you can refer to the link:

5. There is currently no BIOS update.
barry777

Post by barry777 »

barry777 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 1:53 am 1. Enter the BIOS and restore settings,
How to enter the BIOS: Connect a wired keyboard, press the Delete key (without letting go) before turning on the computer, press the power button until the BIOS interface appears and release the Delete key;
Restore BIOS settings: In the BIOS interface, press F3/F9 (restore settings), then press F4/F10 to save the settings. The computer will automatically restart (it will automatically enter the system after restarting);
2. Check whether there are any abnormalities in the memory or other hardware (if you need to replace other memory, it is recommended to install the original memory); please refer to [How to run Windows memory diagnosis:

3. Update to the latest driver. You can try to use Driver Booster to update. Please refer to the video:

4. To use never sleep, you can refer to the link:

5. There is currently no BIOS update.
thomas.zarebczan

Fixed the sleep issues by turning off hard drive sleep and hibernation in those settings. Silly windows

But I'm still getting daily freezing. Most of the time I watch something in the evening, and then when I put my tv on in the am, it's frozen. I have to hard press the power button. Sometimes it turns on, sometimes not, and I have to press or hard press again.

Repeat daily basically. Sometimes it will freeze while watching also.

Will run the memory test soon and check drivers.
Last edited by thomas.zarebczan on Sun Oct 22, 2023 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
thomas.zarebczan

Updated all drivers and memory test came back fine.

Still getting freezing issues after being idle for some time. Only once while using it in the last couple days.
thomas.zarebczan

Any other suggestions? Should I reset the whole PC? Doesn't seem like a windows related issue, but rather hardware or some incompatibly with not sleeping. Usually happens after 24 hours + idle.

One time I came back and it was off recently too.
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post by Gabe »

It likely wouldn't hurt to try a Windows Reset.
W8 Pro • GK1 • AK3 • AM02 • T6 Pro • AMR5 • GK3 Pro • AD03 • AM06 Pro • T8 Pro • S1 • T8 Plus • CK10
I have no connection to ACEMAGIC other than being a customer and long time forum member
barry777

Post by barry777 »

If the above solution does not work, it is recommended that you reinstall the system.
thomas.zarebczan

Sorry for the late follow up here. I've done the reinstall, and the problems persist. Continue to get random freezing during usage and when idle. It's unusable in this state. Must be something faulty with the hardware.

How can I start the warranty process to get a replacement device?
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post by Gabe »

It almost does sound like something with the memory, but I've no doubt other things can cause it too.

While you're waiting on barry's reply, a couple of things you could try, if you want to, are...

1. Reseating the RAM and storage. I don't know how difficult it is to get into an AD15, but if it's not that hard, I'd try doing this. It likely won't make any difference, but stranger things have happened.

2. Run a better memory diagnostic. Memtest86 is a very good one. Also, it probably wouldn't hurt to run CHKDSK on the storage, just to see if there is anything amiss. Probably not, as it sounds more like something a memory fault could cause than a problem with storage, but who knows.

Here's ACEMAGIC's warranty info page, in case it helps.
W8 Pro • GK1 • AK3 • AM02 • T6 Pro • AMR5 • GK3 Pro • AD03 • AM06 Pro • T8 Pro • S1 • T8 Plus • CK10
I have no connection to ACEMAGIC other than being a customer and long time forum member

Return to “i5-12450H & i7 11800H(AD15)”