Thermal Runaway

AMD Ryzen 5 5600U/5800U
lcizzle

Thermal Runaway

Post by lcizzle »

Hello,

Anyone having thermal issues with the 5800U? I bought 4 of them and all of them shortly after boot (10mins-1hour) slowly run up the thermal ladder until black screen and lock up. They are mostly at idle. Tried both Linux and Windows and same issue on both. Windows actually shuts down faster and causes more heat.

No idea what to try. I swapped memory but unsure if I am able to do a thermal paste application without causing a return issue.

Any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
barry777

Re: Thermal Runaway

Post by barry777 »

May I ask what application you are using that causes the abnormal shutdown?
It is recommended to try the following solutions:
1. Restore BIOS settings;
2. Use the original power adapter/original memory module;
3. Observe whether the fan is running.
lcizzle

Post by lcizzle »

Thanks for the reply.

The application is ProxMox 8 but just a basic install of Windows 11 and going idle at the desktop results in the same issue. Heat goes up, screen flickers, and the freeze.

1. Tried that several times. Is there a newer bios?
2. I have the original power supply but this was a barebones purchase. I have several sets of modules of different brands and they all have the same issue.
3. I can hear the fan if I put my ear to it but it definitely doesn't change speed with the temps. Fan settings greyed out in the bios.
barry777

Post by barry777 »

There is currently no BIOS update. We have verified that this situation has not occurred for the AMR5 (5800U) device;
It is recommended to provide the fault video and Amazon order number to email: barry@minipcunion.com; we will reply as soon as possible after verifying the situation.
lcizzle

Post by lcizzle »

While waiting on a response I did some more troubleshooting and I believe I "fixed" it or it "fixed" itself. As stated previously the fans were not ramping at all no matter the temp.

Reinstalled windows, set everything up and played solitare for a bit. The temps at basically idle were 60-78c. Way too high for idle. Once the screen started to flicker the temps would jump to mid 80s C and then the computer would freeze.

Let the PC cool down a bit and then fired it back up. I started to wonder if something was wrong with the rotating nob on the front which was set to auto. I had seen a few reviews that the fan speed would change as well as the wattage but none of the modes showed any change in HWIN64. Once I was in windows I started move the setting from auto, silent, auto, performance. After doing that a few times the temp snapped down to 46C and I could hear the fan spin at a higher RPM.

It's been nearly 2 days with no crashes. I even played a few games on one of them in windows to really put it through it's paces and temps were acceptable and no black screen flickering or lockups.
lcizzle

Post by lcizzle »

Posted a video but looks like the mod deleted it.
barry777

Post by barry777 »

Yes!
1. The adjustment knob of AMR5 can be adjusted according to the use environment. If you use the loader frequently, it is recommended to adjust it to the "Performance" setting;
2. Be sure to completely remove the protective film on the AMR5 body (if not removed, it will seriously affect the heat dissipation effect)

Return to “AMD Ryzen™5 5600U(AMR5) 5800U”