AK1Plus Only 2.7Ghz, not 3.4Ghz

Intel® Processor N95 6M Cache, up to 3.40 GHz
Phaark

AK1Plus Only 2.7Ghz, not 3.4Ghz

Post by Phaark »

Hi, just bought an AK1Plus with N95cpu. I only see max cpu speeds of just under 2700Mhz. Never goes higher. I was expecting to see turbo speeds up to 3.4Ghz when required.
barry777

Re: AK1Plus Only 2.7Ghz, not 3.4Ghz

Post by barry777 »

In Control Panel - Power Management - (Select High Performance), you can increase the running frequency, open Task Manager - Performance - CPU; use Cinebench R23 for single-core testing;

Balance was chosen among noise, temperature and power consumption, so some parameters were limited;
If you want a better experience, you can upgrade your device or participate in evaluation activities.
brandoman

Post by brandoman »

One additional note:

You will likely only see "3.4GHZ" in specific scenario's (single core apps while the other "cores" are not loaded.)

Intel will put the "best possible" numbers up, but depending on customizations by the manufacturer (such as Barry noted) there is a balancing act between heat, power draw, and performance.

I had an old Fujitsu i7 first gen laptop that would overheat if the GPU and CPU were run "full throttle" which wasn't hard to do when gaming. The laptop would "power itself off" this is because the manufacturer did not take care when designing the product. In my case I "disabled" the "boost" which allowed the machine to stop overheating for the cost of some performance. Higher power draw also usually has diminishing returns.

On this particular case, the power usage of the chip is not very high, even when "maxed" out so you likely won't run into the above issues, but it is an example of why you may see performance in "GHZ" vary.

PS. This likely wont impact this particular system, but task manager is known to not be accurate on ryzen chips.
**********Note***********

I do not work or represent MiniPCunion and my words are my own. I will do my best to provide guidance based on over 20 years of computing experience.
ring1956

Post by ring1956 »

barry777 wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:25 am In Control Panel - Power Management - (Select High Performance), you can increase the running frequency, open Task Manager - Performance - CPU; use Cinebench R23 for single-core testing;

Balance was chosen among noise, temperature and power consumption, so some parameters were limited;
If you want a better experience, you can upgrade your device or participate in evaluation activities.
This does not work at all. I tested AK1 with hardware monitor and Throttlestop. In fact processor power is strictly limited to 8w only by BIOS and You cannot make it 15w that Intel writes. So we need to mod this BIOS, I have made a dump - here the link
mush

Post by mush »

You can change power limitations by editing "Power Limit 1" and "Power Limit 2". Value in 15000 means 15w of power.
These two parameters need to edit in two places: in Advances menu and in View/Configure Turbo Options.
Be careful because it can lead to CPU overheating!

Power Limit 1 it is power consumption in standard mode and Power Limit 2 in turbo mode.

I don`t know why the vendor set these limitation in 8w in default bios settings, but it looks like attempt to hide issue with bad cooling system?
I described my case here: viewtopic.php?t=4767
I have the save issue but with N100 CPU. In default bios setting power limited to 10w (must be about 15w for full performance). With 10w it cuts of about 30-35% of the CPU`s speed. It is disgusting :evil:
Last edited by mush on Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Intel® Processor N95(AD03/AK1PLUS/GK3PLUS/T8PLUS)”