1-2 sec beep on startup

Intel® Processor N95 6M Cache, up to 3.40 GHz
hannes

1-2 sec beep on startup

Post by hannes »

Hi,

I just got a new AD03. From the first startup there was a 1-2 sec beep. The device seems to work well, but I am worried, as such a beep usually indicates a problem. From the AMI BIOS beep code list, I found that it might be a "Memory refresh timer error". I tried reseating the memory module, but the beep persists. So far, I have not found an issue in using the device. The computer boots and runs NixOS just fine. Also the memory reported are the 8GB I would expect.

Does anyone have experience with similar issues?
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Re: 1-2 sec beep on startup

Post by Gabe »

Mine does the same thing. I'm pretty sure it's just the POST confirmation beep, like some traditional desktop tower computers do.
W8 Pro • GK1 • AK3 • AM02 • T6 Pro • AMR5 • GK3 Pro • AD03 • AM06 Pro • T8 Pro • S1 • T8 Plus • CK10
I have no connection to ACEMAGIC other than being a customer and long time forum member
barry777

Post by barry777 »

According to the description, this is the AD03 startup prompt sound, which can be used normally.
If the sound is persistent, there may be a memory failure.
kolaris

Post by kolaris »

Mine does the same thing, too. And I find it very annoying... to the point of that I'm thinking of desoldering the buzzer.

BTW, watch this video starting at approximately minute 27:00. It's this beep, right?
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post by Gabe »

kolaris wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:44 pm Mine does the same thing, too. And I find it very annoying... to the point of that I'm thinking of desoldering the buzzer.

BTW, watch this video starting at approximately minute 27:00. It's this beep, right?
That's it. I agree that it's a bit annoying.
W8 Pro • GK1 • AK3 • AM02 • T6 Pro • AMR5 • GK3 Pro • AD03 • AM06 Pro • T8 Pro • S1 • T8 Plus • CK10
I have no connection to ACEMAGIC other than being a customer and long time forum member
hsehestedt

Post by hsehestedt »

ROFL. As an old timer in the PC field, I remember when every IBM PC compatible system came with a speaker. That beep at startup is 100% normal. Back in the old days, every single PC had a speaker in the case. Specific patterns of beeps would signal specific issues and could be used to diagnose problems before anything could be displayed on a monitor.

Many PCs today have a header to allow connection of a speaker, but rarely do you see a system with a speaker connected to it.

I actually love having this speaker because on this particular system, when it beeps that is the perfect instant to hit the keyboard if you want to enter the BIOS. No more tap, tap, tap. Just hit the keyboard one time at the moment of the beep and into the BIOS you go.
hsehestedt

Post by hsehestedt »

Follow up to my last post:

BIOS beep codes for AMI
1x short Incorrect interaction between RAM and motherboard
1x long No errors detected during the self-test
Continuous beep Power supply error
1x long, 1x short Fault on motherboard
1x long, 2x short Graphics card not detected
1x long, 3x short Video memory error
2x short Parity error in the first 64 kB of memory
2x long, 2x short Video memory error
3x short, 3x long, 3x short Defective RAM; RAM must be replaced
5x short Problem with processor
6x short Cannot enter BIOS in safe mode
7x short Processor or graphics card error
8x short Display memory error in graphics card
9x short CMOS battery error
10x short Error in shutdown register of CMOS RAM
11x short Error in external cache memory

Note that some systems may have a series of codes, but this seems to be a common configuration for AMI BIOS.
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post by Gabe »

hsehestedt wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 4:10 am Many PCs today have a header to allow connection of a speaker, but rarely do you see a system with a speaker connected to it.
When I built my Ryzen 5 3400G desktop a few years ago, neither the board nor the case I bought came with one of those speakers, which was a bit surprising, as all past desktops that I had built had come with one (I think with the board). I ended up buying one, as I still wanted to have it, though it's so incredibly loud that I ended up wrapping electrical tape around it to tamp down the volume.
hsehestedt

Post by hsehestedt »

Another potential solution would be to wire in a resistor in line with one of the speaker lines to lower the volume. Or you could even wire in a switch so that you could cut it completely off if wanted and enable it only when you wish.

Hmmm, this conversation is inspiring me to try something. As I mentioned, I love the AD30 because I know exactly when to hit DEL to enter the BIOS - at precisely the moment I hear the speaker. I have another desktop that is slow booting so I have to repeatedly tap DEL over and over during start to ensure it gets read correctly. I'm starting to wonder if adding a speaker might help me there. May have to give that a try.

Return to “Intel® Processor N95(AD03/AK1PLUS/GK3PLUS/T8PLUS)”