Recommended method to backup SSD before setting up windows

Quick Fix.
gsky2

Recommended method to backup SSD before setting up windows

Post by gsky2 »

Is there a recommended method for backing up a factory fresh SSD (say in the AM06 Pro)? I would like to put a Linux OS on the SSD and not use Windows, but thinking for re-sale value, having a backup of the factory state which can be restored would be best.

I am thinking something like this would work.
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Re: Recommended method to backup SSD before setting up windows

Post by Gabe »

There are a few different things you could do.

1. You could use Windows' built in system imagining tool and save the image on an external SSD or flash drive. Then, when you need to re-image the unit, use either a starup disk or installation media to enter the recovery environment to write the saved image back to the unit. There's some info on using the built in system imaging tool here, as well as many other websites.

2. The same thing as above, but instead using a third party system imaging and restoration tool.

3. You could first connect to the net with the unit with the Windows installation it came with, also signing into your Microsoft Account, or setting one up if you don't have one and signing into it with the unit. This ensures Windows' Activation is logged on both Microsoft's Activation servers AND your own Microsoft Account. Then save the driver folder so that you have the system's drivers, in case you need any, for when you later reinstall Windows. The driver folder is in C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore, and the folder you'd want to save is 'FileRepository'. It'll be upwards of 4GB or so in size. You can then create Windows 11 installation media using Microsoft's Media Creation Tool. Then, if you want to give away or resell the unit later, you can use that created installation media to perform a clean install of Windows, and then use the driver folder you saved if you need to install any needed drivers.

These are just a few ideas, but if you choose to do one of these make sure you first research it so that you know what you're doing when the time comes.
W8 Pro • GK1 • AK3 • AM02 • T6 Pro • AMR5 • GK3 Pro • AD03 • AM06 Pro • T8 Pro • S1 • T8 Plus • CK10
I have no connection to ACEMAGIC other than being a customer and long time forum member
Tobi

Re: Recommended method to backup SSD before setting up windows

Post by Tobi »

I would recommend Macrium Reflect to backup your system. My link points to a free edition.

Return to “Troubleshooting”