GK3 Pro slow wifi

uptime

GK3 Pro slow wifi

Post by uptime »

On a new GK3 Pro that I setup I was getting 20 mbps wifi download speeds when connected to my 400 mbps internet service. The router is on a different level so I know that I'm not going to get 400 download. However, I have been using two laptops on this level for about a year and they both consistently get between 150-200 download. The NIC in the GK3 Pro is a Realtek 8821.

After looking at various threads on this forum I updated the driver to 2024.10.138.0. After updating I get between 20-40 download. When it's around 40 it's because it has auto-switched to 5 Ghz. I don't see a way in the settings to force 5 Ghz. Also after updating I set each of the laptops next to the GK3 Pro and they were getting their normal 150-200 download. I did this to verify that the speed issue was not because of the specific placement of the GK3.

Any help/suggestions/ideas to get the GK3 close to the download speed of the laptops is appreciated.

Thanks.
barry777

Re: GK3 Pro slow wifi

Post by barry777 »

1. Use the shortcut key [WIN+R], open [Run], and enter [gpedit.mac]
2. Open [Local Group Policy Editor] - open [Windows Settings] - right-click [Policy-based QoS] - select [Advanced QoS Settings] - check [Specify Inbound TCP Throughput Level] - select [Level 3] 】-Click OK;
3. Open [Local Group Policy Editor] - open [Administrative Templates] - select and double-click to open [QoS Packet Scheduler] - select and double-click to open [Limit Reservable Bandwidth] - select [Disabled] - click Apply below;
4. Open the device manager - open [Realtek 8821CE] - right mouse button and select [Properties] - [Advanced] - [Winreless Mode] - [Value] - select [IEEE 802.11a/n/ac] - click OK;
5. Restart the computer and check whether it has improved after turning on the computer
6. If the above steps are invalid, it is recommended to change the WiFi network card with a higher specification by yourself.
uptime

Post by uptime »

Thank you for the response. Over the weekend I found a suggestion online to change the wireless mode to 802.11a/n/ac, number 4 in your response. I did this and the speed went up to 60. Upon seeing your post this morning I implemented the other changes you suggested, numbers 2 and 3. After rebooting the speed was back down to 40. I then undid numbers 2 and 3, leaving the wireless mode at 802.11a/n/ac. I rebooted and the speed was back to 60. Do you know if the wireless NIC in this PC is a plug in card, or if it's soldered on ?

One thing I've learned from this is, no more Realtek wireless NICs for me. The laptops have Intel.

Thank you again for the help.
barry777

Post by barry777 »

I disassembled the GK3 pro to check the WiFi module. Sorry, it is integrated on the motherboard and cannot be replaced.
Attachments
GK3 Pro.JPG
GK3 Pro.JPG (2.47 MiB) Viewed 5541 times
uptime

Post by uptime »

Thank you for that information, I really appreciate your help. I would rather not use a USB adapter so it looks like I'm stuck with 60. But, I now know what I'll avoid in the future.

Thanks again.
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post by Gabe »

uptime,

On your GK3 Pro, right click the WiFi icon on the taskbar, then left click 'Network and Internet Settings'. On the Network and Internet page, click WiFi bar (not the On/Off switch at the end of it). On that page, the second bar down should show you your current connection. Click on that. On that page you'll be able to see the particulars of the connection.

I'm just curious if the unit might actually be connecting with a low link speed, causing the problem. With my GK3 Pro, what's pictured below is what I see when I look at it, and I have the Mode in the Device Manager set to Auto.

Screenshot 2023-06-27 222942.png
Screenshot 2023-06-27 222942.png (24.18 KiB) Viewed 5489 times
W8 Pro • GK1 • AK3 • AM02 • T6 Pro • AMR5 • GK3 Pro • AD03 • AM06 Pro • T8 Pro • S1 • T8 Plus • CK10
I have no connection to ACEMAGIC other than being a customer and long time forum member
dd_milkshake

Post by dd_milkshake »

uptime wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:38 pm On a new GK3 Pro that I setup I was getting 20 mbps wifi download speeds when connected to my 400 mbps internet service. The router is on a different level so I know that I'm not going to get 400 download. However, I have been using two laptops on this level for about a year and they both consistently get between 150-200 download. The NIC in the GK3 Pro is a Realtek 8821.

After looking at various threads on this forum I updated the driver to 2024.10.138.0. After updating I get between 20-40 download. When it's around 40 it's because it has auto-switched to 5 Ghz. I don't see a way in the settings to force 5 Ghz. Also after updating I set each of the laptops next to the GK3 Pro and they were getting their normal 150-200 download. I did this to verify that the speed issue was not because of the specific placement of the GK3.

Any help/suggestions/ideas to get the GK3 close to the download speed of the laptops is appreciated.

Thanks.
Unfortunately the Realtek 8821CE is a really cheap solution and the performance is quite spotty even positioned next to an AP with line-of-sight. In my testing with the AD03 I was suggesting that anyone going to use the WiFi at all should replace the NIC to something like the Intel AX210. You can find an USB Dongle (not Intel) for about $20-30 range that has a stick antenna for better reception.
uptime

Post by uptime »

Gabe,

Thank you for the response. With the Wireless Mode set to 802.11a/n/ac I checked the link speed twice. First was 195/195 and 5 mins later it was 130/130. Both times it was showing as being on the 5 GHz band. About an hour later I checked one of the laptops. First was 650/650 and 5 mins later it was 468/260. Both times showing on the 5 GHz band.

With what I found online I'm not the only one with this type of issue. The proof is in the pudding as they say and my laptops with the Intel chip leave this Realtek chip in the dust.

Thank you again for the help.
uptime

Post by uptime »

dd_milkshake,

Thank you for responding. I had considered a USB adapter but after reading various reviews online a very small number of them pertained to the adapter becoming extremely hot. Do you have one that you would recommned ? It would be worth the extra $20 or so to get speeds comparable to my laptops.

Thanks again.
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post by Gabe »

uptime,

I use a TP-Link AC600 USB antenna with my AK3, as I removed the internal antennas after a problem with its built in WiFi. It works well for that and it doesn't get hot, but I don't know that the AC600 would be good for you, as its top speeds are 200Mbps and 433Mbps for 2.4GHz and 5GHz, respectively. They do have an AC1300 version though, which has a much higher top speeds of 400Mbps and 867Mbps for 2.4GHz and 5GHz, respectively. My internet speed rarely breaks 100Mbps down, so I have no need for something that fast, but if I did I wouldn't hesitate to get it, being that the AC600 has worked as well as it has for the last couple of years.

www.amazon.com/TP-Link-usb-wifi-adapter ... B08D72GSMS
W8 Pro • GK1 • AK3 • AM02 • T6 Pro • AMR5 • GK3 Pro • AD03 • AM06 Pro • T8 Pro • S1 • T8 Plus • CK10
I have no connection to ACEMAGIC other than being a customer and long time forum member

Return to “N5105(GK3pro)”