USB issues

deltipo2

USB issues

Post by deltipo2 »

Hi!

After some months without a problem, I recently started having issues with my NiPoGi N5100. I used to have a keyboard and a mouse connected to the USB ports in the back, until they randomly started to disconnect and connect again after a few seconds, with the annoying sound notifications. Later on, things got worse: the devices would disconnect, but would not connect again. Now I have keyboard and mouse connected to the front USB ports, because the back ports seem to have stopped working.

I don't know if this is the result of some software update, and I can't recall having installed anything strange recently. I've checked the device manager and everything seems OK.

I'm thinking of reinstalling Windows again, but first I wanted to comment here just in case.

Thanks in advance.
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Re: USB issues

Post by Gabe »

deltipo2,

On the off chance that it could be this, if the keyboard and mouse are wireless and use a dongle, have you recently started using a USB 3 device with the unit? The reason I ask is that USB 3 devices, such as flash drives, can throw off noise that can interfere with the 2.4GHz signal used by wireless keyboards and mice.

If that's not it, it certainly wouldn't hurt to try a Windows reinstall. If you do, I'd be sure to save the driver folder prior to doing so. This way you have them after the reinstall if you need to install any. It's in C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore. The folder you want to save is 'FileRepository'. It'll be anywhere from 2.5GB to 4GB in size, and you can save it on a USB flash drive or something similar. You can then use that saved folder for the search location if you need to install any drivers in the Device Manager after Windows installation.

While they don't have a driver file listed for this unit (hence the suggestion to save the drivers from the unit itself), they do have the system listed in this topic. You can use that to reinstall the system or, if you're familiar with the process, Windows 11 installation media you've created using Microsoft's Media Creation Tool.
W8 Pro • GK1 • AK3 • AM02 • T6 Pro • AMR5 • GK3 Pro • AD03 • AM06 Pro • T8 Pro • S1 • T8 Plus • CK10
I have no connection to ACEMAGIC other than being a customer and long time forum member
deltipo2

Post by deltipo2 »

if the keyboard and mouse are wireless and use a dongle, have you recently started using a USB 3 device with the unit?
I forgot to tell both keyboard and mouse are wired. And some time ago I used an audio interface through the front USB ports, though I don't know if it made use of USB 3 speed. When I started with the miniPC I checked that all ports, front and back, work, though I didn't use them all at once.
If that's not it, it certainly wouldn't hurt to try a Windows reinstall. If you do, I'd be sure to save the driver folder prior to doing so. This way you have them after the reinstall if you need to install any. It's in C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore.
I'll try that, maybe this weekend. I remember you told me about the driver folder when I had another issue with the internal audio. I don't know exactly how the problem got solved, but it had to do also with USB. Apparently, the internal audio driver is listed as USB, though in fact it goes direct to the motherboard.

Anyway, thanks for the advice, and I'll let you know.
deltipo2

Post by deltipo2 »

While they don't have a driver file listed for this unit (hence the suggestion to save the drivers from the unit itself), they do have the system listed in this topic. You can use that to reinstall the system or, if you're familiar with the process, Windows 11 installation media you've created using Microsoft's Media Creation Tool.
I've just reinstalled Windows 11 from a USB pendrive, using Media Creation Tool fom the Microsoft site. First, I had to purchase a USB hub, because the two front ports were already occupied with keyboard and mouse. I've also installed drivers for all the devices marked in yellow (to be honest, I don't know if i needed them, everything seemed to work) using the FileRepository I've had previously backed up: thanks for the advice.

So now I'm more or less where I was when I sent my first message: only the front USB are working. I'm starting to think that it's in fact a hardware problem. Maybe some tiny thing is broken with that ports, although they haven't received any hit or pressure, as they were always dedicated to the keyboard and mouse and the pminiPC has been always resting on my desk.

Anyway, I think I'll let it go, as long as the front ports work.
barry777

Post by barry777 »

Can use JK06 system files for clean installation (drivers included)
JK06 system:
Installation steps:
brandoman

Post by brandoman »

Have you tried completely removing all cables (including power) from the mini PC, press the power button a few times wait about 2 min, then plug it back in?

Sometimes a power surge can happen on the USB port knocking them out until this is done. (I had a pc as a kid where I had to do this once every 3 months)
**********Note***********

I do not work or represent MiniPCunion and my words are my own. I will do my best to provide guidance based on over 20 years of computing experience.

Return to “N5100(JK06)”