New Heatsink - silence mod AK1 / GK3

Souldemon

New Heatsink - silence mod AK1 / GK3

Post by Souldemon »

I have constructed and created a Prototype aluminium Heatsink for the acepc AK 1.
Its Not perfect, but IT works fine and the cpu does Not overheat even after hours of high load.
My test unit is running every day as a Media PC for about 6 months now.

My Plan is now to make a Version 1 with all the improvements i learned.
I have access to a Industry cnc mill und can make the Design in CAD.

If anyone would be interested, i could maybe Do a small production run and send the heatsinks out.

I will Post the updated Design in a few weeks, when i get to Do it.

Last edited by Souldemon on Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
actiftech

Re: New Heatsink

Post by actiftech »

Good job! And because your pictures are very slow to open, what are the gains in terms of heat dissipation?
Souldemon

Re: New Heatsink - silence mod AK1 / GK3

Post by Souldemon »

my Main goal was to get rid of the horrible cooling Fan and its Binary, non adjustable fan"curve".

Unfortunately i cant find my Stress test results from back then, but as far as i can remember, at 100% cpu load, the temperature rose slowly and reached about 70°C after one hour. (I hope my memory is accurate :? ) More than good enough for me, anyway. I can make a new stress test in a few days and share the results if you are interested.
Basically, the thing gets warm and stays warm, but at no point the cpu gets in danger of throttling. Especially not with normal use. Also as the Heatsink is large and made of a full block of aluminum it's not as spiky as the stock Heatsink. (I also ran the stock Heatsink without fan for a few days, which also worked, but it was uncomfortably hot, so I made my own.)

I haven't tested it yet, but it should also be compatible with The GK3. I'm using using 4 of those pcs and all them will get the new, Heatsink, when it is done.
Souldemon

Re: New Heatsink - silence mod AK1 / GK3

Post by Souldemon »

I have tested the thermals again. Turns out my memory wasn't so good.
65-70°C is the Cpu temperature, after the Heatsink is completely soaken, where it then stays with normal use.
If you then ramp up the load to constant 100% cpu load (stress test) it takes 30minutes to reach 90°C
It then normalizes back to 65-70 on normal use after a while.

I think this is really good, considering it's completely silent, and fits in the closed case without any modification other then removing the Heatsink and screwing the new Heatsink in.

Return to “J3455(AK1)”