W11 Version Upgrade Issue on TK11

rickster

W11 Version Upgrade Issue on TK11

Post by rickster »

Having downloaded the installation files and set up a new NVMe drive with Windows 21H2 on m TK11, I have discovered that the system as installed will not allow the PC Health Check to run and therefore will not run the Windows Installation Assistant. Check for updates does not find 22H2 so the only way to get the update is to do a clean install with USB or ISO. I feel I've wasted hours listening to the advice to install using Ace Magician's setup files. I can only hope the drivers which can be downloaded separately here will work with 22H2. It would have ben good to have been warned about this when purchasing the unit
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Re: W11 Version Upgrade Issue on TK11

Post by Gabe »

rickster,

The drivers will work with Windows 11 22H2, and devices that have newer driver versions for 22H2 will be able to update via Windows Update. You can also save the driver folder from the current 21H2 installation. It's in C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore, and the folder you want to save is 'FileRepository'. Just save the folder, which will save all of the drivers in it. It will be upwards of 3.5GB in size. You can then use that saved folder for your search criteria when installing needed drivers through the Device Manager. And, unlike with prior versions, which you had to update piecemeal, you can do every driver in one shot with Windows 11. The option is on at the top of the Device Manager box.

You weren't "warned" when you purchased the unit because the issue you ran into isn't a known one.

Don't use a tool like the 'Intel Driver & Support Assistant', as a few of the drivers may be specifically tailored to the unit, and that tool may instead install those that aren't.
W8 Pro • GK1 • AK3 • AM02 • T6 Pro • AMR5 • GK3 Pro • AD03 • AM06 Pro • T8 Pro • S1 • T8 Plus • CK10
I have no connection to ACEMAGIC other than being a customer and long time forum member
rickster

Post by rickster »

Ok, thanks for that. I meant to post in the TK11 thread, and I apologise for the duplicate. I'm still not clear about how I should update to 22HS if I can't use Windows 'check for update' . I have run the Updater Troubleshooter and it did identify problems that it couldn't fix. What is your recommended method of doing the update if this is not a known issue?
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post by Gabe »

rickster,

If you're familiar with the process, I'd perform a clean install of Windows 11 22H2, then use either the drivers available here or the drivers from the folder you've saved from the current install to update any of those needed after the clean install and what can't update via Windows Update. The latter is what I normally do (saving the driver folder from the current install on a USB flash drive).

To be honest, a clean install is what I always do. Though I have ten mini PCs by this manufacturer, and eight are fully up to date with Windows 11 22H2, I've never used the system installation files available here, and I've rarely ever performed an update in place, like from 21H2 to 22H2. I've always saved the driver folder of the existing system, then performed a clean install of the latest version of Windows using USB media I created with Microsoft's Windows 11 Media Creation Tool.

If you do this, make sure to first sign into, or create and sign into, your Microsoft Account with the currently installed Windows 11 on the unit. This is extra insurance for your Windows Activation on that unit. The Activation is already digitally recorded on Microsoft's Windows Activation servers since you're connected to the net, but by signing into your Microsoft Account it will also be logged on your account for that PC. The Windows Product Key is embedded in the BIOS, but the extra steps ensure everything will go smoothly. When you go through the Windows setup after the clean install, it'll ask you to sign into your Microsoft Account. When you do that, again, it ensures everything will go smoothly with Windows Activation. If you prefer to use a Local Account you can switch to that afterward.

There's a longer explanation about the Activation thing in this thread. There's also some info about clean installs in this thread, if you're not familiar with the process.

Edit: I've moved your question and my replies to this TK11 section. I've retitled the topic as well (from the CK10 section). I'll delete the duplicate question and my reply to it.
W8 Pro • GK1 • AK3 • AM02 • T6 Pro • AMR5 • GK3 Pro • AD03 • AM06 Pro • T8 Pro • S1 • T8 Plus • CK10
I have no connection to ACEMAGIC other than being a customer and long time forum member
rickster

Post by rickster »

Ok - things are a bit clearer now! I am pretty familiar with clean installs and activations - I've used many PCs since my first Microsoft 'Luggable' in 1985 and have built several. The process with the TK11 hasn't been easy for me. When I first installed the OS using a local user as recommended I then logged into my Microsoft account under family after plugging in my network connection. Unfortunately this created a hybrid account which had the local name and login I first used, but acted as my MS account otherwise. This also resulted in me being unable to set up another user, as the verification screen now failed to appear when I tried to log in (with different accounts and many attempts). I then tried a clean install of 22H2, which did succeed, but of course left me without the drivers. I did look for the drivers on the AceMagician site, but the TK11 didn't have an entry. I had not then discovered the TK11 pages in the forum. Despite all this I decided that I would persevere with fitting a larger, faster drive. After finding the forum and searching for TK11 I now had access to the drivers (although I did a double take on the screenshot, not realising the 'download' buttons were active at first - its not clear) I again attempted a clean install of 22HS from the same USB I had success with before. Unfortunately this resulted in an error message informing me that a driver necessary to complete the installation was missing and it wouldn't load it from drivers folder I now had access to. Perhaps something to do with the new drive I was using, although it did format at the first install stage. I gave up after 5 attempts - if I left the USB in place it just looped - if I removed it it prompted for a storage device driver.

So.... back to square one. Install 21HS as per original TK11 installation files with a local user. Plug in ethernet and log in with MS account as 'New User', which worked this time. I then saved the 'File Repository' folder. Without making any updates, adding devices, installing apps or logging out, I then used setup.exe on the 22H2 installation USB, afterwards installing the Drivers via the 'File Repository' folder and the 'Add drivers' facility in Device Manager. Success! Not 100% 'clean', but close. I'm pleased to have got there in the end, and I hope future updates will be as you suggest, booting from a USB and then installing the drivers. As I've hinted, it's not been easy (a convoluted 2-day process!), and I guess to anybody not familiar with the necessity for clean installs and the idiosyncrasies of device driver management it would potentially pose huge problems. There is one warning sticker on the unit - I'm not sure it goes far enough. Something about the need to use the bespoke drivers when clean installing and where to get them might be useful.
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post by Gabe »

rickster,

I'm glad in the end you were able to get it up to date with 22H2. I agree that there should be something with the unit about using unit specific drivers. Maybe they could include this kind of info in the documentation that comes with the unit, adding it to it.

Whatever the case, I'm just glad you were able to get it up to date. 👍

The TK11 is one of the types that I don't have yet. I've thought about getting one though. I don't actually use any of the ones I have on a regular basis, I just collect them as a sort of hobby, though I do usually have one sitting on top of my M1 Mac Mini for quick changeover when I need a Windows computer for something I can't do on my Mac.
rickster

Post by rickster »

Thanks Gabe - I appreciate the responses you have made. I did have a chuckle when you revealed yourself as a MAC user! I do think there are serious problems with the TK11 and OS installation. The driver issue is certainly serious and is a minefield for the unwary. On top of this is the Windows Update issue. I have discovered other users have the same problem with updates as I noted previously (e.g. Check updates does not find 22H2). I have run the Update Troubleshooter and it comes up with a number of errors related to BITS (Background Information Transfer Service). This means that the AceMagician install effectively stops any major updates to the OS using Windows Update. I have also discovered that an in-place upgrade to 22H2 does not remove this problem.

I am going to make another attempt at a clean install of 22HS and if successful, I will run the Troubleshooter again to see if the BITS problem is eliminated. If either I can't make a clean install, or the BITS problem still manifests itself I will be returning the unit for a refund. I also think that other potential buyers should be made aware of these problems.
barry777

Post by barry777 »

We would like to collect some relevant information,
1. Which CPU is your TK11?
2. Is TK11 the factory original system?
3. Check Settings Windows Update-Advanced Options-Optional Updates, have all the drivers been updated?
Looking forward to hearing from you very much.
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post by Gabe »

rickster,

Now that barry777's looking into it, I hope the problem can be discovered and resolved, both for you and for others, though I can certainly understand not wanting to deal with a problem like this and wanting to send the unit back for a refund.

This M1 Mac Mini is actually my first Mac. To be honest, it'll probably be my last. It's been a bit buggy, and I do find that some things are harder to do on it compared to a Windows PC, though that's likely because of my naivety with them. Plus, none of the games I have will work with it, though I admittedly don't play them all that often. I've no doubt that if I'd been using Macs as long as I've used Windows PCs I would probably stick with them, as I know they've earned a solid following. I wanted to try one when they came out with the iMac in '98, but couldn't afford it. By the time I could they had changed to Intel CPUs, and them having done so lost my interest. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Intel, it's just that the PowerPC CPU is what interested me, as it was 'different' than all the others, and very well rated. When they announced they were leaving Intel and going with their own, in house built CPU, my interest was again sparked, so I figured I would give it a try. It's been interesting, that's for sure. In the end, I'll always have Windows PCs, as it's what I'm most familiar with and can most easily use. I really only still use the Mac because I paid so much for it and want to get out of it what I can before abandoning it.
davetron

Post by davetron »

Can I tag on to this thread .

I have the tk11 i5 11320H version and tried a fresh install using the windows creation tool to create an usb disk.

After install I used the drivers that were available to download from this forum but the wifi will not install and the fingerprint reader too.

the intel_dtt will also not install says its not supported.

Any idea why ?
Last edited by davetron on Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “i5-1135G7/ i5-11320H/i7-11390H (TK11 series)”