CD-ROM and minipc?

Discussion - Non-tech related content only please! New members can say Hi here.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

CD-ROM and minipc?

Post by admin »

If you add an optical drive to your mini PC, what will you use it for?

In other words, would you buy a Minipc with an optical drive?
Thanks for joining the forum fans, we will become friends here. Any suggestions about the forum I am open to hearing.
AntonioKill98

Re: CD-ROM and minipc?

Post by AntonioKill98 »

I haven't used CDs and DVDs for several years. In the last year just to fix a couple of older computers that had problems booting from USB.
But in the world of Mini PCs there is the possibility that customers use them as an entertainment system in the living room, so a DVD Reader can be useful for these type of customers, even better a bluray reader. It would be a product aimed at that specific type of customer.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I chatted with artificial intelligence for a long time. He is not optimistic about adding a CD-ROM drive. What do you think?
Thanks for joining the forum fans, we will become friends here. Any suggestions about the forum I am open to hearing.
Wine

Post by Wine »

A DVD or Blu-ray drive could be interesting for a mini media center PC for the TV room. Some people can have a collection of discs and they can be pretty cheap to get depending on where you go to get them.
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post by Gabe »

I no longer use CDs, DVDs or BDs, though I do still have quite a few of them, and a couple that have important info that may need to be accessed again at some point. I did have a cheap USB DVD drive, though it eventually died from non use.

Like Wine, I can see some people using an optical drive for entertainment media. Though I do have an extensive collection of movies and TV shows on DVDs and BDs from mp4 files I downloaded via PlayOn Cloud, I also wrote them to external SSDs/HDDs at the same time, and the latter is what I watch them from. Originally I recorded them on optical disc for safe keeping, as a backup if my HDDs or SSDs failed, but I later switched to an 8TB USB HDD for a backup. It seemed more economical, and it's easier than having scads of discs.
W8 Pro • GK1 • AK3 • AM02 • T6 Pro • AMR5 • GK3 Pro • AD03 • AM06 Pro • T8 Pro • S1 • T8 Plus • CK10
I have no connection to ACEMAGIC other than being a customer and long time forum member
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Need more ideas, friends!
actiftech

Post by actiftech »

An external CD-ROM drive could do the job, isnt'it?
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

actiftech wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:59 am An external CD-ROM drive could do the job.
Absolutely.

But, like me, afraid of trouble?

According to previous research, many customers hope to have this function. But we also want to know how many use the optical drive on the mini PC.
gg4rest

Post by gg4rest »

If it was a separate add on to be attached to the mini pc, it might be useful for people who need one. Especially if the mini pc and optical drive can be attached to the VESA mount. Having it built in isn't necessary. Like others have said, we rarely use optical media anymore.
fuelrod

Post by fuelrod »

The only thing I would probably use an optical drive for would be to rip Blu-rays and DVD for a PLEX media server.

Return to “Off Topic”