Emulation Station

AMD Ryzen 5 5600U/5800U
Superseagulls

Emulation Station

Post by Superseagulls »

Hi All!
Excited to be receiving my AMR5 (Hopefully Sunday).
I have ordered a Team 2TB SSD to mount music and games.
I love old school games, would the 64GB Ram be overkill?
Looking at these:
www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZLCVKPV/re ... 0DER&psc=1

I think (trawling through posts) these should work. Will I see an improvement in retro gaming going this big or overkill?
I like SNES and 16 bit era gaming, maybe some Gamecube or maybe Wii emulation. Will Big Ram numbers help?

Thanks, be safe and enjoy your toys!
Last edited by Gabe on Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed https:// from Amazon link, as they won't show with that in front.
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Re: Emulation Station

Post by Gabe »

That RAM should work. It's the exact same kind Guido1977 used in his AMR5 in another post, and they worked perfectly.

Regarding the retro gaming, it's highly unlikely you'll see any difference with the SNES games, though possibly with the GameCube games. It's kind of hard to tell, as older games like that don't tend to be nearly as RAM hungry as today's games. With the Wii games you might see some difference, however, as they're newer.

I actually use a Raspberry Pi 3B+ for SNES emulation, and it works perfectly.

For reference, I edited the Amazon link in your post. For some reason the system won't show Amazon links if they have the https and :// in front of them, but they will if removed, so I removed it from the link.
W8 Pro • GK1 • AK3 • AM02 • T6 Pro • AMR5 • GK3 Pro • AD03 • AM06 Pro • T8 Pro • S1 • T8 Plus • CK10
I have no connection to ACEMAGIC other than being a customer and long time forum member
Superseagulls

Post by Superseagulls »

Thanks Gabe, greatly appreciated!
I will share the results, when I tinker! I don't think the RAM will be noticeable on 8 and 16 bit games. Hopefully I can run the Dolphin emulator for some GC & Wii action! Have a great weekend!
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post by Gabe »

Superseagulls wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:15 pm Thanks Gabe, greatly appreciated!
I will share the results, when I tinker! I don't think the RAM will be noticeable on 8 and 16 bit games. Hopefully I can run the Dolphin emulator for some GC & Wii action! Have a great weekend!
I hope it works well for you. I love emulating old games, especially from the Atari 2600, NES and SNES systems. I was a kid when the whole console gaming thing came about, getting an Atari 2600 when I was eight or nine. It's great playing the games I grew up with, though I was nearly 20 when the SNES debuted.

I actually have my Raspberry Pi 3B+ in a case that looks like an SNES console. It's pretty neat, though I haven't played any games with it for over a year. I've just been too busy, but now I'm hankering to do so. 🙂
W8 Pro • GK1 • AK3 • AM02 • T6 Pro • AMR5 • GK3 Pro • AD03 • AM06 Pro • T8 Pro • S1 • T8 Plus • CK10
I have no connection to ACEMAGIC other than being a customer and long time forum member
dragonpoo

Post by dragonpoo »

I haven't emulated the most recent systems, but honestly I would think 16GB of RAM would be sufficient for anything Gamecube or earlier. I've done plenty on systems with 2-4 GB of RAM and it's always fine.

Raspberry Pi makes a great system, and that case you have, Gabe, I love it too!
Guzilla GK3V (J4125/8GB/128GB) | AceMagician AMR5 (Ryzen 5 5600U/16GB/512GB NVMe) | Kamrui JK06 (N5100/8GB/256GB) | Kamrui AK1Pro (N5105/8GB/256GB) | AceMagician T8Pro (N5095/8GB/256GB)

Return to “AMD Ryzen™5 5600U(AMR5) 5800U”