AM02 add SSD

AMD Athlon 300U/Ryzen™ 3300U/3500U/3700U/3750H/5700U
zerkin

AM02 add SSD

Post by zerkin »

Is it possible to add internal SSD, for example, S101 2TB SSD SATA III 6Gb/s 2.5 Inch Internal Solid State Drive?
If yes, how to do it?
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Re: AM02 add SSD

Post by Gabe »

zerkin,

Unfortunately, because of the compactness of this unit and everything in it taking up practically all of the available space, there is no option to add a 2.5" drive. However, the internal storage (m.2 2280) can be upgraded to a drive of 2TB.
W8 Pro • GK1 • AK3 • AM02 • T6 Pro • AMR5 • GK3 Pro • AD03 • AM06 Pro • T8 Pro • S1 • T8 Plus • CK10
I have no connection to ACEMAGIC other than being a customer and long time forum member
zerkin

Post by zerkin »

Thanks, Gabe
In the case of "the internal storage (m.2 2280) can be upgraded to a drive of 2TB", how I can get Windows-11 on it?
Should I buy Win-11 or can I copy it from existing 512gb?
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post by Gabe »

zerkin,

You could clone the system from your existing drive and Windows installation to the new drive, if you're familiar with that process.

As an alternative, I'll see if I can get the Admin or barry777, who's a tech, to post the system installation files for the AM02, as well as the drivers, and you could use that to reinstall Windows 11 after you've installed the new drive. It'll still require the use of a USB flash drive, but the accompanying instructional video makes it pretty easy.

As a second alternative, though I'd only recommend this if you're familiar with installing Windows from scratch, is to create Windows 11 installation media using the Media Creation Tool from Microsoft, then install it on the new drive after you've put it in the unit. In doing this you'd need to install any needed drivers afterward, which you could get from the file they'll hopefully post, or from the currently installed Windows 11 system. You can find the driver folder in C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore. It's 'FileRepository', and you'd want to save that folder to a USB flash drive. The 'FileRepository' folder will likely be between 2.5GB and 3.5GB in size, as there are a LOT of a driver files in it.

Whichever method you choose, make sure to first save any important files you have on the existing system.

But no, you won't have to buy Windows 11.

Again, I'll contact the Admin to see if I can get him to post the system installation files and the driver files for the AM02.
W8 Pro • GK1 • AK3 • AM02 • T6 Pro • AMR5 • GK3 Pro • AD03 • AM06 Pro • T8 Pro • S1 • T8 Plus • CK10
I have no connection to ACEMAGIC other than being a customer and long time forum member
barry777

Post by barry777 »

AM02 replace DDR and SSD video:
zerkin

Post by zerkin »

Thank you for video!
There is a thermo-material on top of SSD - is any other SSD should have such a layer?
Could you suggest which one is suitable having size=2TB?

For example,
SAMSUNG 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe Gen 4 Gaming M.2 Internal Solid State Drive Memory Card, Maximum Speed, Thermal Control, MZ-V8P2T0B

would be ok?
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post by Gabe »

zerkin,

The layer on top of the SSD in the video is common to the SSDs used in many of the models this company sells. It's just a type of heatsink. It's not something you'll need to peel off and apply to the new SSD.

The Samsung SSD you listed is a great one, and though I can't say with 100% certainty that it's compatible, as like you I'm just one of their customers, I'm pretty sure barry777 will concur with your choice.

Regarding the system and drivers, I've only gotten the drivers from the Admin so far, so I'll post that below, as well as the system installation tutorial for Windows. As soon as I get the actual Windows 11 system file for the AM02 I'll add it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

System (Windows) installation tutorial (I'll add the actual system as soon as I get it from the Admin)...

Drivers for the AM02...

For reference, the "Couldn't preview file" thing is just because it's far too large for it to show a preview. It's like that with all of the systems and drivers listed in this community. You can click on the little white box in the upper right to download it directly from the hosting site (Google Drive) if you prefer.
barry777

Post by barry777 »

AM02 supports: M.2 (2280) NVME SSD, Max 2TB; PCI Express® version: PCIe® 3.0; Samsung 980 Pro series interface is PCIe Gen 4.0, 980/970 series interface is PCIe Gen 3.0. Although the Samsung 980 Pro is also compatible with PCie Gen3.0, the read and write speed cannot reach the advertised speed of the Samsung 980 Pro.
zerkin

Post by zerkin »

Thanks, barry777.

I just need 2TB SSD compatible with my AM02 (having the same speed);
I am not familiar with difference between Gen 3 and 4 - could you suggest some model?

Actually, for me it looks suspicious that AM02 and almost all other mini-PCs do not have config with 2TB SSD and user has to replace SDD - I assumed that the possible reason is overheating. So, maybe you do not recommend to replace 512GB SSD with 2TB?
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post by Gabe »

zerkin,

The heat difference between 512GB and 2TB m.2 NVMe drives is negligible. Even further, smaller capacity drives can actually be somewhat warmer when they're near capacity and under considerable load in comparison to a larger one that wouldn't be with the same amount of data on it. Not a lot though. And if a drive does get warmer than preferred, a relatively inexpensive heatsink can always be applied to it.

This is just a guess, but it's likely that they don't offer larger drives because of there not being a lot of people who need a higher capacity drive, especially when it comes to this kind of unit. What I mean by that latter statement is like when compared to a desktop gaming PC, where large capacity is an important factor. Plus, more and more people are using a variety of types of external storage, which is also becoming faster. It' likely that, because of all of that, offering models with 2TB drive isn't very economical for them.

And it's just a thought, but it's possible that another factor is that a lot of people who do want larger drives would rather get one they like rather than using stock one that comes with the units. I just bought an AD03 (it's supposed to be delivered today), and I got the 8GB/256GB model rather than the 16GB/512GB model, as I can upgrade both components to larger and better options for less than the cost difference between the two.

Edit: Also, sorry, but I'm still waiting for the Windows 11 system installation file from the Admin.

Return to “AMD Ryzen™ 7 3750H(AM02/PRO)”