AM06 Pro Tear Down

AM06 PRO AMD Ryzen 4800U 5600U 5500U 5625U 5560U
dd_milkshake

AM06 Pro Tear Down

Post by dd_milkshake »

Opening the case is a straightforward process that requires no special tools. To access the interior, simply unscrew the four rubber-wrapped screws located at the bottom of the case. It's worth noting that these screws serve a dual purpose as they also function as rubberized feet, offering ample grip for users to remove them without the need for a screwdriver. With this simple step, you'll be able to access and maintain the internal components with ease.
IMG_2383.jpeg
IMG_2383.jpeg (1.26 MiB) Viewed 8021 times
Upon opening the case, the first thing that catches the eye is the well-organized layout of the board. The presence of two SODIMM slots and a PCIe 3.0x4 NVMe M.2 slot indicates that this unit is equipped to handle upgrades with ease. In its current configuration, the unit comes with a 512 GB SSD and 2x8 GB 3200CL22 RAM, making it a formidable performer straight out of the box. Ace Magician has definitely left room for customization, and the possibilities for further upgrades are virtually limitless.
IMG_2384.jpeg
IMG_2384.jpeg (1.28 MiB) Viewed 8021 times
Located just under the M.2 slot, we can see the slotted WiFi module that is commonly seen on mini PCs. It's worth noting that Ace Magician has opted to go with the RTL8821CE chip AGAIN, which is a reliable and commonly used option. However, some users may find it to be a bit underwhelming in terms of performance, and upgrading the NIC may be a top priority. Overall, this appears to be the only potential weakness of an otherwise impressive system.
IMG_2385.jpeg
IMG_2385.jpeg (1.17 MiB) Viewed 8021 times
If you need to remove the cooler from the CPU, you'll need to unscrew the four metal screws that secure it to the board. Once these screws are set loose, you can detach the cooler from the board. It's important to note that you won't be able to lift the board out while the cooler is still attached. You'll need to remove the cooler first and then take the board out at an angle.

It's worth mentioning that the cooler is equipped with one heatpipe, which is more than enough to accommodate this chip's maximum 30W TDP. In my experience, this cooling solution provided ample thermal management without causing any significant noise levels. Overall, I found the cooler to be an effective and reliable component of this system.
IMG_2388.jpeg
IMG_2388.jpeg (1.34 MiB) Viewed 8021 times
IMG_2387.jpeg
IMG_2387.jpeg (1.11 MiB) Viewed 8021 times
When it comes to putting the cooler and board back in place, it's important to exercise some fine-motor skills. First, carefully position the cooler back into the case. Then, gently lay the board back on top of the cooler.

At this point, you'll need to take extra care to ensure that the mounting holes are properly aligned. A light tap on the case can help to align the holes. Once the holes are aligned, it's time to put the screws back in. It's recommended that you use a criss-cross pattern when tightening the screws to ensure even pressure distribution.

One thing that I found a bit frustrating about this process is that Ace Magician didn't use spring-loaded screws. This means that hand-tightening the screws without knowing when to stop could lead to uneven mounting pressure, which can massively degrade the cooling performance. In fact, this happened to me during my testing, so I highly recommend taking extra care during this step to ensure that the screws are tightened evenly.

When it comes to mounting the 2.5" SSD, the process is relatively straightforward, but it can be a bit nerve-wracking due to the fragile-looking ribbon cable that is used for the SATA connector. As you can see in the picture, the ribbon cable is quite delicate, and it's important to handle it with care to avoid damaging it.

Thankfully, the mounting process itself is relatively easy. All you need to do is line up the SATA connector on the SSD with the ribbon cable on the board and gently press down until it clicks into place. It's important to be patient and take your time during this step to avoid any mishaps.

Overall, while the ribbon cable may look a bit intimidating, with a steady hand and some care, you should be able to mount the SSD without any issues.
IMG_2389.jpeg
IMG_2389.jpeg (1.45 MiB) Viewed 8021 times
IMG_2390.jpeg
IMG_2390.jpeg (1.2 MiB) Viewed 8021 times
IMG_2391.jpeg
IMG_2391.jpeg (1.11 MiB) Viewed 8021 times
IMG_2392.jpeg
IMG_2392.jpeg (951.13 KiB) Viewed 8021 times
To sum it up, my overall impression of the build quality of this unit is that it's acceptable. While the cooling solution is effective at managing the CPU temperature, Ace Magician seems to have prioritized quietness over performance, which can result in CPU and GPU temperatures topping 75C under load.

That being said, I will be conducting more tests and benchmarks over the coming days, and I will post my thoughts and findings in the near future. So stay tuned for more information and insights on this impressive system.
These users thanked the author dd_milkshake for the post (total 2):
actiftech, ryzen7
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Re: AM06 Pro Tear Down

Post by Gabe »

Great info. It should be quite helpful to people. 👍

I already borrowed one of your snapshots to help someone trying to connect their 2.5" drive to the system board, but I also made sure to note that it was from your topic and included a link to it.
W8 Pro • GK1 • AK3 • AM02 • T6 Pro • AMR5 • GK3 Pro • AD03 • AM06 Pro • T8 Pro • S1 • T8 Plus • CK10
I have no connection to ACEMAGIC other than being a customer and long time forum member
actiftech

Post by actiftech »

Good job! :D I hope more video reviews of this relevant mini PCs. ;)
hsehestedt

Post by hsehestedt »

I have one question regarding this system (I just received mine today).

EDIT: Apologies - for clarity, my unit is the Ryzen 5 5600U

I am unclear about the orientation of the SATA cable. When plugging it into the connector on MB, should it be oriented with the side of the cable have the fingers (electrical contacts) face down or should that side be face up?
hsehestedt

Post by hsehestedt »

I want to thank you again for the teardown with all the helpful images. However, now that I have received my unit and have had an opportunity to perform testing, I wanted to follow up with an answer to my own question.

The reason that I asked the question in the first place was that it seemed to me that img_2392 showed the incorrect orientation of the cable. With testing, I have now confirmed that. The cable should be plugged in with the electrical connections face down and the blue side (without the electrical connections) facing up.
dd_milkshake

Post by dd_milkshake »

hsehestedt wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:19 pm I want to thank you again for the teardown with all the helpful images. However, now that I have received my unit and have had an opportunity to perform testing, I wanted to follow up with an answer to my own question.

The reason that I asked the question in the first place was that it seemed to me that img_2392 showed the incorrect orientation of the cable. With testing, I have now confirmed that. The cable should be plugged in with the electrical connections face down and the blue side (without the electrical connections) facing up.
My apologies. I did not verify that installation myself.
hsehestedt

Post by hsehestedt »

No worries! We're all here to help each other out. Gotta say, I love these Mini PCs.
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post by Gabe »

dd_milkshake,

Is that FORESEE m.2 drive SATA or NVMe? I did a Google search on it, but available information is scarce.

Mine came with a CYX-SSD-S1000, which is SATA. I changed it to a 512GB XPG SX8200 Pro, which is NVMe.
W8 Pro • GK1 • AK3 • AM02 • T6 Pro • AMR5 • GK3 Pro • AD03 • AM06 Pro • T8 Pro • S1 • T8 Plus • CK10
I have no connection to ACEMAGIC other than being a customer and long time forum member
barry777

Post by barry777 »

I checked this interface, the blue side is facing up, so that the hard disk can be recognized; the blue side is facing down, the hard disk cannot be recognized, and it may cause a short circuit for a long time.
You can refer to the video of AM06 Pro installing 2.5 SSD:
Attachments
IMG_7819.HEIC.JPG
IMG_7819.HEIC.JPG (2.96 MiB) Viewed 6994 times
Groch

Post by Groch »

Thanks much for this teardown thread. I see dd_milkshake's photos have been viewed over 1500 times so people are finding it useful.

I read only the 1st post before installing a 2.5" SATA drive, which of course did not work because of the ribbon orientation. The good news is that it did no damage, and worked fine when reversed.

There is a 2nd issue with the SATA ribbon photo in the original post. It shows the SATA plug on the 2.5" drive oriented towards the large diagonal vents on the top. It will physically not fit that way on my AM06 Pro. The SATA plug must be towards the smaller square vented end to fit. I am attaching a photo that shows that orientation. I am attaching a photo.

Once again thanks for this thread. The AM06 Pro allows for upgrades far better than most mini PCs, but it is difficult to form the right plan without teardown info like this.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Oberw ... EhZQ=w2400

Return to “AMD Ryzen™ 5 5600U(AM06 AM07 &PRO Series)”