Powering AM06 Pro from a 65W GAN fast charger

AM06 PRO AMD Ryzen 4800U 5600U 5500U 5625U 5560U
GinJeff

Powering AM06 Pro from a 65W GAN fast charger

Post by GinJeff »

Sorry to say this doesn't work, and I'm not sure why.

I have a UPS which the standard power supply is plugged into. But I wanted a smaller power unit. I purchased the UGREEN 65W GaN charger from Amazon and attached to the rear of the unit.The system will power up but then shut down in less than a minute. Tried several different cables including one rated at 100W, but it's the same story.
hsehestedt

Re: Powering AM06 Pro from a 65W GAN fast charger

Post by hsehestedt »

Powering devices with PD chargers can sometimes yield really weird results. I have some devices that will work with some chargers, but not work with other PD chargers. I have one device that will not work when a 100W cable is used, but will work with a 65W cable. That makes no sense, you would think that a more capable cable would work, but no.
hsehestedt

Post by hsehestedt »

Just received the AceMagician AM06 Pro (Ryzen 5 5600U) today. I performed some tests with PD chargers and here are my results (spoiler: some work, some don't):

1) Wotobeus 130W charger - fails. Unit (AM06) powers on for a few seconds, then cuts off.
2) Anker Nano II 65W Charger, Model A2663 - Works perfectly
3) Anker 737 Charger (GaNPrime 120W), Model A2148 - Works perfectly
4) Anker 736 Charger (Nano II 100W), Model A2145 - Works perfectly
5) Anker PowerPort III 3 Port 65W Pod, Model A2667 - Fails. Unit powers on but then loses power after about 30 seconds.

Notes and Recommendations

All of the chargers that I tested, with the exception of the Anker Nano II 65W (A2663) are multi-port chargers. A common behavior for multi-port chargers is to momentarily remove power from a device when another device is plugged into the charger so that the charger can reassess how much power must be provided to each port. On both the Anker 736 and the 737 I plugged in a phone while the computer was running and observed no loss of power to the computer. I do not know how this would have behaved if I had plugged in something more power hungry or if I had tried to utilize all 3 ports on these chargers.

However, my personal preference is the Anker Nano II 65W Charger (model A2663) for several reasons:

1) It is tiny!
2) It perfectly matches the output capacity of the charger provided by AceMagicians (65W) making it smaller than a higher wattage charger.
3) It is a single port charger. This also allows for a smaller size, and you are guaranteed to have no trouble plugging in another device, because you can't :-)

If you need any more info, or if you want me to test any of the chargers with all 3 ports utilized, do let me know. I would be happy to test.
These users thanked the author hsehestedt for the post:
GinJeff
ArgRaiker

Post by ArgRaiker »

Adding to the list of tested chargers, since I didn't want to remove the charger from the rack where I installed the AM06, I took the pc and plugged it into an Apple 96 A2166 charger and had no issues.
GinJeff

Post by GinJeff »

Thank you, hsehestedt, for doing this! It's incredibly helpful. My UGREEN 65W CD244 is a 3-port and behaves identically to the Anker 3 port that you tested. I am going to return this and look for the Anker 1 port, 65W that you recommend.
GinJeff

Post by GinJeff »

Confirming - Anker Nano II 65W Charger, Model A2663 - Works perfectly

I have been running with this for the past 3 days with no issue. It is more efficient than the stock power supply, dropping my overall power consumption by 10-20W.
hsehestedt

Post by hsehestedt »

Thanks for the additional info regarding the efficiency. That was something that I was not aware of.
reukiodo

Post by reukiodo »

Interesting, as I can power the 4800U version with a 45W PD GaN charger as well as a USB monitor and all peripherals.
GinJeff

Post by GinJeff »

I don't think it's about the wattage. Some GaN chargers work, others don't. It seems that the single port units are more likely to work correctly. This might be because the multiport ones try to rebalance and might cut power momentarily. That's enough to take the PC off.
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post by Gabe »

Is it to make it more portable that one would want to power their unit via USB-C? Or is it to be able to cut down on the number of power supplies needed? Or both?

I've never done it, so I'm just curious as to the reason to want to do this.
W8 Pro • GK1 • AK3 • AM02 • T6 Pro • AMR5 • GK3 Pro • AD03 • AM06 Pro • T8 Pro • S1 • T8 Plus • CK10
I have no connection to ACEMAGIC other than being a customer and long time forum member

Return to “AMD Ryzen™ 5 5600U(AM06 AM07 &PRO Series)”