Can I use a external GPU with external adapter?

AMD Ryzen 5 5600U/5800U
cicciopasticciolo

Can I use a external GPU with external adapter?

Post by cicciopasticciolo »

Hello, i have bought this fantastic mini PC, but i have a little question.

Can i link an external gpu with "chinese adapter" on PCI express port?
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Re: Can I use a external GPU with external adapter?

Post by Gabe »

Is there a PCI express port on the board?

I've had my AMR5 apart, but I never looked that close at the connections on the board.
W8 Pro • GK1 • AK3 • AM02 • T6 Pro • AMR5 • GK3 Pro • AD03 • AM06 Pro • T8 Pro • S1 • T8 Plus • CK10
I have no connection to ACEMAGIC other than being a customer and long time forum member
Pierre43

Post by Pierre43 »

Pierre43

Post by Pierre43 »

ah yes
dragonpoo

Post by dragonpoo »

Pretty impressive! Although it doesn't look as nice sitting there open, I like that it was possible!
Guzilla GK3V (J4125/8GB/128GB) | AceMagician AMR5 (Ryzen 5 5600U/16GB/512GB NVMe) | Kamrui JK06 (N5100/8GB/256GB) | Kamrui AK1Pro (N5105/8GB/256GB) | AceMagician T8Pro (N5095/8GB/256GB)
jrewingwannabe

Post by jrewingwannabe »

Is there any answer to the initial question? I’d like to use an external GPU like the picture shown but not sure which adapter is required or if there’s a guideline doc that spells out the specifications of everything that would be involved. I emailed support a few days back but I haven’t received a reply
dragonpoo

Post by dragonpoo »

jrewingwannabe wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:04 am Is there any answer to the initial question? I’d like to use an external GPU like the picture shown but not sure which adapter is required or if there’s a guideline doc that spells out the specifications of everything that would be involved. I emailed support a few days back but I haven’t received a reply
jrewingwannabe, the AMR5 is really not designed for an external GPU, so I would not expect an official response from Support about doing it. However, let's break down the details, based on the example video:

Most external GPUs use a Thunderbolt3 connection to the system, but the AMR5 does not have that, just its Superspeed USB3.0 port.
The AMR5 has two internal pcie slots, which are designed for storage, but in the video, one used a pcie cable to connect to an external GPU dock.
The example graphics card was a GeForce GTX 1070 Ti (https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/ne ... x-1070-ti/), a five year old card.

I went through over two dozen links to try and find a pcie external gpu device, that can hold the graphics card, but every device I could find was no longer available. I suspect most companies gave up on these once the big vendors got into the market with all-in-one devices that used Thunderbolt.

So, although it might be possible, I would personally suggest against it. The AMR5 comes with decent hardware for a miniPC gaming system, but if you want something more, I would recommend going the route of building your own high-end gaming system.
Guzilla GK3V (J4125/8GB/128GB) | AceMagician AMR5 (Ryzen 5 5600U/16GB/512GB NVMe) | Kamrui JK06 (N5100/8GB/256GB) | Kamrui AK1Pro (N5105/8GB/256GB) | AceMagician T8Pro (N5095/8GB/256GB)
W4RL10N

Post by W4RL10N »

My reply may be a little late, but I only got this machine a month or so ago.
I have an external GPU connected to it via m.2 GPU adapter, which i found on amazon and there are plenty of videos on it on youtube.
The adapter i have is called "ADT-Link M.2 GPU adapter", and it works with no problems in AMR5. I would say AMR5 is probably better for external GPUs than most other mini pc's because it has two M.2 PCI3 x4 slots which is better than thunderbolt if i recall.

This is my setup with external GPU connected
jrewingwannabe

Post by jrewingwannabe »

W4RL10N wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 5:08 pm My reply may be a little late, but I only got this machine a month or so ago.
I have an external GPU connected to it via m.2 GPU adapter, which i found on amazon and there are plenty of videos on it on youtube.
The adapter i have is called "ADT-Link M.2 GPU adapter", and it works with no problems in AMR5. I would say AMR5 is probably better for external GPUs than most other mini pc's because it has two M.2 PCI3 x4 slots which is better than thunderbolt if i recall.

This is my setup with external GPU connected
Thanks! That's what I was going with - using the m.2 GPU adapter (and got the same ADT-Link M.2 GPU R43SG adapter card from Amazon) -- I think I may have a dead one though, since it will not turn on using a 350W external ATX PSU, even if I set the SW1 to force power-on.. Everything I've seen on YouTube for the ACEMAGICIAN AMR5 and generic miniPCs, was fairly straight forward: Plug in the 24/8 pin from the Power Supply, use the provided 8 pin connector from power out to GPU card, have the R43SG connected to the 2nd M.2 slot and viola -- no such luck with either the PSU or GPU fans taking so much of a startup spin. I even swapped PSUs to make sure and tested that they are indeed working fine otherwise.

Did you have to go through any BIOS settings to enable or jumper config changes on the card itself to get it going?
W4RL10N

Post by W4RL10N »

I didn't have to do any configuration in BIOS, my GPU (RX 6700 non-XT) worked out of the box with the adapter. BUT i did not connect the GPU 8-pin from the M.2 adapter, but rather directly from the PSU. I think you can see on the picture i provided. Maybe that could be causing an issue for you, because I've read some people had problems detecting their GPU when they connected the GPU 8-pin power from the M.2 adapter.

Return to “AMD Ryzen™5 5600U(AMR5) 5800U”