How to clone T11 emmc OS to SSD

Quick Start Guide and Video Instructions.
jlthorburn

How to clone T11 emmc OS to SSD

Post by jlthorburn »

To all,

I would like directions on how to copy my T11 Windows Pro OS to my newly installed SSD. Can you recommend a free software that will not only clone the OS but also allow you to re-allocate all the available space on the new SSD.

Also need direction on how to change the new drive assignment from "D" to "C"

I did it once but now I forgot how.

Thanks in advance...

John
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Re: How to clone T11 emmc OS to SSD

Post by Gabe »

jlthorburn,

There are a couple of different methods for doing this.

First is ACEPC's recommended method, seen in the following post...

viewtopic.php?p=1223#p1223

The other is using a third party program. Here's the method I use, and it's worked well for me for both my GK1 and my new AK3 (I also find it easier than ACEPC's method)...

https://www.partitionwizard.com/help/mi ... sd-hd.html

If you use MiniTool Partition Wizard Free, make sure to download version 11.5, as the newer versions have removed the ability to clone system drives from the free version of the program. You can download version 11.5 here...

https://minitool-partition-recovery.en. ... s/versions

When you've finished the cloning, enter your BIOS by tapping the Del key on startup. In the boot menu, change your first boot item to the Windows Boot Manager of the newly cloned drive. For example, you can see in the following post what it looks like for my GK1 and my cloned Samsung SSD. The one "highlighted" in black in the picture is the new first boot item.

viewtopic.php?p=1178#p1178

As always, whichever way you choose, it's a wise idea to back up your important files and, if you have space on an external drive and you know how to do so, it's also a good idea to save a system image of your existing installation. This is in case anything goes wrong.

Hope this helps. 😊
W8 Pro • GK1 • AK3 • AM02 • T6 Pro • AMR5 • GK3 Pro • AD03 • AM06 Pro • T8 Pro • S1 • T8 Plus • CK10
I have no connection to ACEMAGIC other than being a customer and long time forum member
jlthorburn

Post by jlthorburn »

Thanks for the reply..

I followed your way and everything went great. My system is now booting from the SSD on C:windows.

I used Diskgenious www.diskgenius.com to clone the EmmC to the SSD. It allows you to extend partition and use all the unalocted space.

My c:drive Windows is now a 120MB disk with 110 MB of unused space.

I am just going to leave the ACEPC copy of Windows reside on the EMMC just in case I ever need to reinstall on another SSD.

All is well.

Thanks

John
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post by Gabe »

jlthorburn,

I'm glad to hear it. MiniTool Partition Wizard allows you to extend the target partition(s) as well, but the most important thing is just being able to complete the task, no matter what method you use. I'll keep DiskGenius in mind for the future too, as it definitely sounds like it's another viable option. :)

Again, I'm glad you were able to get it done. Not only is the increased speed from the SDD nice, that extra space comes in handy as well. :)
W8 Pro • GK1 • AK3 • AM02 • T6 Pro • AMR5 • GK3 Pro • AD03 • AM06 Pro • T8 Pro • S1 • T8 Plus • CK10
I have no connection to ACEMAGIC other than being a customer and long time forum member
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

:!: Please note that T11 cannot boot the system from an external hard disk, and cannot be used as a system disk, but only as a storage. You should set the first startup item as SSD startup, and the second startup item as EMMC startup. Therefore, when the SSD cannot be started, the system selects EMMC as the startup item to start.
So you are still running as emmc after starting, please pay attention.
Thanks for joining the forum fans, we will become friends here. Any suggestions about the forum I am open to hearing.
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post by Gabe »

admin wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:35 am :!: Please note that T11 cannot boot the system from an external hard disk, and cannot be used as a system disk, but only as a storage. You should set the first startup item as SSD startup, and the second startup item as EMMC startup. Therefore, when the SSD cannot be started, the system selects EMMC as the startup item to start.
So you are still running as emmc after starting, please pay attention.
Good info. So, though it cloned, jlthorburn's T11 is still booting from the onboard storage and NOT the add on SSD.

It sounds like only the AK/GK models have the ability to boot from an add on SSD/HDD. I'll keep that in mind in case this question comes up again.
jlthorburn

Post by jlthorburn »

I set BIOS to boot from SSD 1st, EMMC 2nd

File manager shows windows (C:) as 93 GB free of 110 GB and window (D:) 34.9 CB free of 57.1 GB
The C: drive has the windows Icon above the drive Icon.

The System Configuration tool clearly has Windows 10 listed as (C:\Windows) : Current OS, Default OS

So regardless of boot order on this PC is the windows system "RUNNING" from the (C:) drive the SSD or from the (D:) drive the emmc?

I thought window system always ran from the (C:) drive:

What is the SSD interface? If the SSD is being recognized as a USB drive I kinda understand why you say it would only boot from (D:) I also get a Desk Top warning not to un-plug the "USB drive" after windows loads because it may Fail? So I think windows is running from (C:)

If the system is running from (D:) as you say, whats the point of having a clone on (C:) ?
If I were to format (D:) to just an extended drive to reclaim space would I be able to boot?

So based on the above information can I assume, My T11 is:

1. Booting from "C" and running from "C" or
2. Booting from "D" and running from "C" or
3. Regardless of what windows thinks, my system is booting from (D:) and Running from (D:) ?

What is the answer? A (1), B(2), C (3), D (all of the above) E (None of the above)

John
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post by Gabe »

John,

From the sound of it you're definitely booting to and running from your SSD. However, please see the following reply concerning doing so...

viewtopic.php?p=1360#p1360
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Due to CPU limitations, T11 cannot connect an external hard disk as a system disk. Please understand.
Thanks for joining the forum fans, we will become friends here. Any suggestions about the forum I am open to hearing.

Return to “Directions”