Ram Upgrade Issue

AMD Ryzen 5 5600U/5800U
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Ram Upgrade Issue

Post by admin »

Regarding the memory frequency, 3200MHz is perfectly applicable on AMR5, which is the 5600U performance parameter I found. For AMD CPUs, a higher memory frequency will give better performance. You are not wrong in your choice.
5600u.png
5600u.png (47.28 KiB) Viewed 3985 times
There is a contradiction here, if the memory is not compatible, then you are not able to boot at all, since the system can recognize your memory, it means the memory is compatible with ARM5. The biggest possibility comes from the BIOS.

I also have a suspicion that it's the hard drive, are you sure that the AMR5 will boot to the desktop properly after you switch back to the original memory stick?
Thanks for joining the forum fans, we will become friends here. Any suggestions about the forum I am open to hearing.
Guido1977

Post by Guido1977 »

admin wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:01 am Regarding the memory frequency, 3200MHz is perfectly applicable on AMR5, which is the 5600U performance parameter I found. For AMD CPUs, a higher memory frequency will give better performance. You are not wrong in your choice.
5600u.png
There is a contradiction here, if the memory is not compatible, then you are not able to boot at all, since the system can recognize your memory, it means the memory is compatible with ARM5. The biggest possibility comes from the BIOS.

I also have a suspicion that it's the hard drive, are you sure that the AMR5 will boot to the desktop properly after you switch back to the original memory stick?

Thank you very much for your appreciated help,

yes, now I am using the miniPC with the new SSD I installed, with the 2x8GB Original RAM that cames with the MiniPC. and it does the boot without any issue.

I did the SSD Change when I turned the pc on for the first time. I used the Acronis True Image to clone the original disk on the new one making the new one bootable. there is a dedicated function in Acronis True Image that does all for you.
then on the next login I simply formatted the original SSD that came with the miniPC. (it is a Sata SSD so it was really slow, that's why i changed straight away).

thank you again for helping me.
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post by Gabe »

Guido1977,

Is there any way you can re-image the original drive and see if it works with the new RAM, just as a troubleshooting process of elimination?

That's interesting that it came with an SATA SSD. I didn't realize anyone was offering it with that.
W8 Pro • GK1 • AK3 • AM02 • T6 Pro • AMR5 • GK3 Pro • AD03 • AM06 Pro • T8 Pro • S1 • T8 Plus • CK10
I have no connection to ACEMAGIC other than being a customer and long time forum member
Guido1977

Post by Guido1977 »

Gabe wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:20 pm Guido1977,

Is there any way you can re-image the original drive and see if it works with the new RAM, just as a troubleshooting process of elimination?

That's interesting that it came with an SATA SSD. I didn't realize anyone was offering it with that.
unfortunately I cannot re-image the old drive. but the one in use contains exactly the same data,. and also it works with the original RAM.
and with upgraded SSD I can't complain, because it works very good.
I just need more RAM because I am going to use this miniPC also to do some video editing with InstaStudio. and more RAM the better is.

about SATA, I couldn't find anyone offering it with NVME SSD. I checked all option available, and specs are all the same, SSD but not NVME.
in all offer I found on the web they says that support NVME but they are not selling with it. at least here in Europe, but checked also on amazon US and is the same.
I can say that from the original Sata SSD they are selling it (in my test often is around 500MB/s) to the one I installed, "Crucial P5 Plus 2TB SSD M.2 PCIe Gen4 NVMe - CT2000P5PSSD8" (declared up to 6600MB/s) but I can see that is constantly working more than 3000MB/s the difference is amazing.
I am globally satisfied of this MiniPC, it really suit my purpose. The only thing is about the RAM, I guess I was just unlucky..
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post by Gabe »

Guido1977,

That's interesting. The 512GB drive that came with my AMR5, which I've since replaced with a 512GB XPG S8200 Pro and put in my GK3 Pro, benches at about 2550MB/s and 1850MB/s for read and write, respectively. It's definitely NMVe.

On closer look, and after removing the heatsink, the drive that came with it is a Future Path FD-E220-M8C.

Though I can't speak for the original version that comes with the Ryzen 5 4500U, I believe all Ryzen 5 5600U models sold in the US on Amazon come with this same drive.
W8 Pro • GK1 • AK3 • AM02 • T6 Pro • AMR5 • GK3 Pro • AD03 • AM06 Pro • T8 Pro • S1 • T8 Plus • CK10
I have no connection to ACEMAGIC other than being a customer and long time forum member
Guido1977

Post by Guido1977 »

yeah, that's strange,
here in Europe definitely is sold with the Sata SSD.
this is the SSD intalled when I received the AMD Ryzen 5 5600U RGB PC,16GB DDR4 512GB SSD
and is Sata,
link to bigger image

this is the new one I added (NVMe)
link to bigger image

I am really struggling with the issue on the RAM... i Put the original 2x8gb and windows boot normally.. I put the new 2x16gb and it stays black screen (and seems blocked) I mean.. even caps lock on keyboard doesn't light. if I press power button on pc doesn't shutdown.. and only way to turn it off is remove power or keep the power button for few seconds until it does a had shutdown.
I hope someone can help on this.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Guido1977 wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:00 am
I am really struggling with the issue on the RAM... i Put the original 2x8gb and windows boot normally.. I put the n
Guido1977 wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:11 amew 2x16gb
ew 2x16gb and it stays black screen (and seems blocked) I mean.. even caps lock on keyboard doesn't light. if I press power button on pc doesn't shutdown.. and only way to turn it off is remove power or keep the power button for few seconds until it does a had shutdown.
Things are getting confusing. Sometimes AMR5 can recognize new 2x16gb, right?
Guido1977 wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:11 am Image
Because you posted a screenshot of the bios before.
I asked the techs and they said it wouldn't be a BIOS issue. Then it could be a memory stick compatibility issue. You can look in the box and there is a piece of paper stating which memory sticks the AMR5 is compatible with. That may help you.
Thanks for joining the forum fans, we will become friends here. Any suggestions about the forum I am open to hearing.
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post by Gabe »

Guido1977,

Yeah, that CYX-SSD-S1000 is definitely SATA. Even the benchmark results on the PassMark software site shows it having read/write speeds typical of SATA. I certainly would've wanted to upgrade it too.

I don't know that my upgrade to the XPG drive made much of a noticeable difference compared with what my AMR5 came with, especially with the fairly basic things I use it for, but not having the fastest drive I had in the best unit I have would have bugged me, so I had to do it. 😁

Edit: For reference, though it may be different for yours, I checked the box from my AMR5 for the piece of paper mentioned by the admin, but couldn't find one. In the included "Mini PC" booklet there is a page about upgrading the memory, but the only stated specifics are "DDR4: 2133/2400/3200 MHz SO-DIMM". It's ironic that mine came with 2666 MHz RAM, which isn't listed, but I'm sure those MHz listed are just examples rather than actual specifics.
Guido1977

Post by Guido1977 »

admin wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 12:50 pm
Guido1977 wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:00 am
I am really struggling with the issue on the RAM... i Put the original 2x8gb and windows boot normally.. I put the n
Guido1977 wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:11 amew 2x16gb
ew 2x16gb and it stays black screen (and seems blocked) I mean.. even caps lock on keyboard doesn't light. if I press power button on pc doesn't shutdown.. and only way to turn it off is remove power or keep the power button for few seconds until it does a had shutdown.
Things are getting confusing. Sometimes AMR5 can recognize new 2x16gb, right?
Guido1977 wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:11 am Image
Because you posted a screenshot of the bios before.
I asked the techs and they said it wouldn't be a BIOS issue. Then it could be a memory stick compatibility issue. You can look in the box and there is a piece of paper stating which memory sticks the AMR5 is compatible with. That may help you.

yes, that's correct, it is confusing me as well.. when new RAM installed, I turn on the miniPC, and 8 times out of 10, it stays all black, and nothing happens. the remaining 2 times out of 10, it happens that I succeed to enter in BIOS, and that's when I could see that BIOS see the new 2x16GB.
but also when I am able to enter in BIOS, I save and Close, or I exit without saving, doesn't matter, the screen goes all black and noting I can do.(as I wrote, even keyboard not responding, and only way to do something is remove power from pc, or keep pressed the power for few secs. until it reset.
I found the Paper inside the box with Compatible RAM.
Image https://i.ibb.co/7yHWr7x/IMG-0703.jpg

I will return the one I bought, and I will buy one listed.
Hopefully this will work.
gd224

Post by gd224 »

Late response here, but these TeamGroup sticks here work with the AMR5. Here is a screenshot of them running at 3200 Mhz: Image. I'm sure there are other out there that work as well but something similar to these should work for this.
Last edited by gd224 on Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “AMD Ryzen™5 5600U(AMR5) 5800U”