How to copy Win10 to SSDD or HDD

Come here to find solutions to difficult problems!
Johnd.uk

Re: How to copy Win10 to SSDD or HDD

Post by Johnd.uk »

Thanks for your help.
I have installed the OS onto the new ssd.
I used EaseUS and was a very simple procedure. I will keep original OS ssd until I know everything is running OK
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post by Gabe »

Johnd.uk,

Ah. Did you migrate/clone from the pre-installed SSD to the new SSD? If so, did the new SSD come with a USB adapter for cloning (I should have asked whether this was the case from the start)?

Whatever method you used, I'm glad you got it up and running with the new disk. 🙂
W8 Pro • GK1 • AK3 • AM02 • T6 Pro • AMR5 • GK3 Pro • AD03 • AM06 Pro • T8 Pro • S1 • T8 Plus • CK10
I have no connection to ACEMAGIC other than being a customer and long time forum member
Johnd.uk

Post by Johnd.uk »

I used migrate OS option in the EaseUS software. I had a 2.5 to usb enclosure which held the new ssd. It was very easy but I was pissed that the software can only be used on one machine. I tried doing the same migration method on my old pc which had a 3.5 hard drive. Then I found I could not use the EaseUS software. Considering I had paid for the software I was miffed.
I ended up using Acronis disc copy. This software was available from the crucial website. Crucial is the manufacturer of my new ssd and the software was free 😊.
I took the power and sata cable from my old 3.5 hard drive and connected the new ssd. I actually left it hanging as I didn't have a compatible bracket, tho doubt this will damage it. Very happy with the AK3 and also my new speedy upgrade to my old tower PC
Thanks for your help on my journey 😁
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Congratulations, your hands-on skills are powerful. I wish you a happy use.
Thanks for joining the forum fans, we will become friends here. Any suggestions about the forum I am open to hearing.
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post by Gabe »

Johnd.uk wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:58 am I had a 2.5 to usb enclosure which held the new ssd.
Ahhh, okay. I feel like a bit of a dope, as I should have asked if you had something like this in the first place so that you could clone from the installed SSD to the new one. I made an assumption that was incorrect (that you didn't have one).

Some SSDs actually come with and inexpensive USB 2.0 to SATA adapter for cloning. Both of my Samsung 840 EVO SSDs came with these.

For reference, in case you need to clone a drive again in the future, Macrium Reflect Free Edition has a cloning feature that is unlimited. I've used it a few times in the past and it works quite well.
W8 Pro • GK1 • AK3 • AM02 • T6 Pro • AMR5 • GK3 Pro • AD03 • AM06 Pro • T8 Pro • S1 • T8 Plus • CK10
I have no connection to ACEMAGIC other than being a customer and long time forum member
hinzyace

Post by hinzyace »

Ich habe die Option "OS migrieren" mit der Software "MiniToll Partition Wizard 11.5
verwendet. Und die Migration des Betriebssysten von EMMC zu SSD ausgeführt. Die interne SSD wurde zuerst mit
einem USB-Adapter angeschlossen und nach erfogreicher Migration ind den AcePC eingebaut. Funktion einwandfrei.
Weil es so einfach war gleich noch einmal mit einer HDD trainiert. Läuft bestens.
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post by Gabe »

hinzyace,

I'm glad the MiniTool Partition Wizard method worked for you. 🙂
DanielleJ097

Post by DanielleJ097 »

Hello there,

I am going to buy an ACEPC AK2 this week, and I am thinking of buying a SSD with it for a boot drive. If I do this and put the SSD in, and I start the PC for the first time and activate Windows 10 as normal and everything is ok, will I be able to start the change of Win10 to the SSD straight away?
I feel this is best because I will not have any data to lose or back up on a brand new PC.

Thank you for any help!
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post by Gabe »

DanielleJ097,

I would first start the unit and perform the basic setup of Windows 10, but don't yet connect it to the internet, as having it connected to the internet during initial setup can cause it to get into this very annoying PIN setup loop issue. When it gets to the internet setup screen during setup, just click on "I don't have internet", or whatever it says. Then, only AFTER Windows setup has finished and the unit has booted to the Windows desktop for the first time, connect the unit to the internet. This way it then connects to the Windows Activation servers and activates, and the activation is then stored on those servers.

Then, after this, I would install the SSD that you've purchased and clone the system to that new drive.

Hope this helps. 🙂
DanielleJ097

Post by DanielleJ097 »

Hi again,

I did get the PC an it works perfectly with peripherals i purchased as well but I chose to wait on the SSD until I can get a good quality one. Thanks for the help anyway and when I come to installation I'll undoubtedly be back haha

Return to “Computer Technology Zone”