How to copy Win10 to SSDD or HDD

Come here to find solutions to difficult problems!
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: How to copy Win10 to SSDD or HDD

Post by admin »

Thank you for your support, we will provide you with the greatest help.
Thanks for joining the forum fans, we will become friends here. Any suggestions about the forum I am open to hearing.
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post by Gabe »

ludvball wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:51 am It worked the second time. I am not sure what was different. Thanks for the other option.
You're welcome. I'm glad that you were able to get it done, regardless of method, as in the end that's all that matters.

And it's definitely worth the time and effort to do so, as these little things are so much more responsive when running from SSDs, that's for sure. Not quite full desktop replacements, but for many activities they're close enough. 🙂
W8 Pro • GK1 • AK3 • AM02 • T6 Pro • AMR5 • GK3 Pro • AD03 • AM06 Pro • T8 Pro • S1 • T8 Plus • CK10
I have no connection to ACEMAGIC other than being a customer and long time forum member
Johnd.uk

Post by Johnd.uk »

Hi, so the clone and transfer works. What should I do with the original drive? Can it be formatted for data? Thanks
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post by Gabe »

Johnd.uk,

You can reformat it and use it for storage if you like.

I tend to keep the OS on it for a backup, just in case something were to go wrong with the add on drive. I also tend to go into Disk Management and remove the drive letter from the now unused onboard storage so that I no longer see it in "This PC" or File Explorer when using the newly installed HDD/SSD as my system drive.
W8 Pro • GK1 • AK3 • AM02 • T6 Pro • AMR5 • GK3 Pro • AD03 • AM06 Pro • T8 Pro • S1 • T8 Plus • CK10
I have no connection to ACEMAGIC other than being a customer and long time forum member
Johnd.uk

Post by Johnd.uk »

Hi Gabe,
Thanks for the reply.
I have now bought AK3 J4125 8/120GB.
I now realise the system drive is already on a ssd, 120Gb.
I have a 240Gb ssd enroute, would you advise to still copy system to the bigger drive?
Or any other ways on how best to set up would be appreciated.
Thanks
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post by Gabe »

Johnd.uk,

The onboard storage is actually of the eMMC type, which is slower than an SATA SSD. Typically about 50% slower. That doesn't mean that you'd see a huge increase in responsiveness of the unit by using the SSD, but it would likely be enough to notice, at least with some things. With mine, the unit starts faster and programs tend to open more quickly when using the SSD. I used mine with the onboard storage for a couple of weeks or so before adding the SSD and cloning the system to it, so there was enough time with the original storage to be able to see a difference.

My advice would be to try the unit out with the onboard storage for at least a few days to get a feel for what it's like, then add the SSD and clone the system to it in order to gauge whether running it from the SSD shows enough of a difference to keep it that way. If you don't think it does, you can always go back to using the onboard eMMC storage and then use the SSD for extra storage or whatever else, but I think you'll notice enough of a difference to want to keep using the SSD as the system drive.

You can read my Amazon review, which has few disk benchmarking snapshots, here...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-revi ... B08CX83HVJ
Johnd.uk

Post by Johnd.uk »

Thanks,
not sure what eMMC is :lol:
I will try for a few days before cloning system to the ssd drive. I can say the system is quite fast now, CrystalDiskMark attached.
There is a video of how to clone/transfer system by admin, this is for a earlier box, will the video be ok for my version? I am a real amateur but can follow and understand the video, the BOIS part spooks me a little :o
Attachments
unnamed.jpg
unnamed.jpg (42.31 KiB) Viewed 4094 times
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post by Gabe »

Johnd.uk,

Wow. From the looks of it, they've done one of three things with yours...

1. Upgraded the type of eMMC storage used to a much faster type.

2. Upgraded the system to now using M.2 SATA SSD storage instead of eMMC.

3. Already installed an SATA SSD pre-sale and that's what it's using. If you take the lid off you'll be able to an SSD already installed there if this is the case.

Whatever the case, with as fast as that's showing, unless you need the extra storage for your system drive itself I wouldn't bother using the new SSD for your system drive. You're unlikely to see any difference.

That's really surprising, and pretty darn fast. It looks like you got a really good one. If you'll notice the snapshots of the speed tests in my review, what you have now is practically as fast as what I have AFTER installing the SATA SSD, which is REALLY good. Again, you got a good one. Now I'm jealous. 😁

Regarding your question, yes, you can use the method referenced by the admin for cloning the drive, if you still want to do so. Personally, with as fast as that "from the factory", onboard storage apparently is, I would just use the add on 240GB SSD for extra storage and stick with the onboard storage for your system drive.

If #3 is the case, however, and there is already an SSD there, it again comes down to whether you want to use a 240GB SSD instead of a 120GB SSD for your system drive, but cloning to the 240GB in this case may be a little more tricky, as the onboard storage may not have Windows on it at all (it still may, though), which would mean you'd have to clone from an already added on SSD to one you're going to replace it with, which would likely require an SATA to USB adapter, so you could clone from added on 120GB SSD to the 240GB SSD you're going to replace it with, but that is temporarily connected to the unit via that USB adapter to allow the cloning. Either that or install Windows onto the onboard storage, then clone it from that to the newly installed 240GB SSD. I don't know whether this is the case, but looking under the lid will tell you.

If there is already a 120GB SSD under the lid, you also have another option, which is what I would probably do, and that is getting a USB enclosure for the new 240GB SSD and using it for storage via USB. You can get a decent USB 3.0 SSD enclosure for less than $10 at Amazon. With this, you could connect it when you want to save files, or even have it connected all the time to use it as a constant backup drive. Again, though, looking under the lid will let you know whether you even need to make a choice like this.

Don't worry, it sounds a lot more complicated than it really is, and if you need advice or help I'll be happy to lend it. Others may as well. Just check under that lid to see whether there is already an SSD there.

For reference, eMMC is a type of soldered-on flash memory (storage) that is used in things like tablets, cell phones and less expensive mini PCs. It's similar to what's used in SD cards, like those that are used with cameras and such, but is permanently attached to the system board.
Johnd.uk

Post by Johnd.uk »

Gabe.
yes you are correct. Under the lid is a 2.5 ssd.
So, I could well keep things as they are and use the option of external ssd for storage (buy an enclosure).
Though, I would rather have a bigger drive enclosed.
Will the box have any other storage as you say with windows loaded, how can I tell, disc management shows only the 1 drive?
Thanks
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (757.25 KiB) Viewed 4074 times
20210102_103812.jpg
20210102_103812.jpg (963.6 KiB) Viewed 4074 times
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post by Gabe »

Johnd.uk,

Interesting, and pretty neat.

It may very well be that ACEPC has the onboard eMMC storage locked out in the BIOS, which is not likely something that can be changed by the consumer. I can't imagine a system board without onboard storage, though I suppose it's possible.

With that said, the easiest way you're going to be able to use the 240GB SSD as a system drive is to download ACEPC's AK3 version of Windows 10 Pro 2004 and install it onto that disk. Basically, you'd download the system installation file and put it on the flash drive as shown in the video, completing Step 1, then shut the unit down and unplug it. You'd then take out the existing SSD, install the new one, then go through Step 2 of the installation process as shown in the video to install the system on the new SSD. When finished, it should be like it was when you first started it, which means you'll have to go through the Windows setup thing again.

For reference, I believe the "UEFI: NORELSYS1081" shown in the video is just the brand/model of flash drive they're using in the demonstration. I don't know because I've never used this method, but I think it's likely that what you'll see is whatever brand/model flash drive you use. Like if you used a Kingston 101 flash drive, it might say "UEFI: Kingston 101".

You can get Windows 10 Pro 2004 for the AK3 here...

The installation tutorial video mentioned above is here...

I would keep the original Windows installation on the 120GB SSD for at least a little while to ensure everything is okay with the new install. This way you can go back to the original 120GB, which will still have Windows on it, if anything were to go wrong.

Return to “Computer Technology Zone”