AMR5 Mini PC - Changing Performance Mode Does Nothing?

AMD Ryzen 5 5600U/5800U
JeZxLee

AMR5 Mini PC - Changing Performance Mode Does Nothing?

Post by JeZxLee »

Hi,

On my AMR5 Mini PC, changing the performance mode does nothing?
I ran a graphic benchmark in "Auto" mode and "Performance" mode and there was no difference?
Any ideas?
Thanks!

Jesse
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Re: AMR5 Mini PC - Changing Performance Mode Does Nothing?

Post by Gabe »

It's only when the CPU is under a stressful load that you may notice a difference, like when gaming. Normal operation doesn't tend to put the CPU under much load, save for short bursts. But to demonstrate what it does, you can see the difference in power input and frequency, as shown in Core Temp on the left of each snapshot, when using CPU-Z to stress the CPU for each mode...

Silent.jpg
Silent.jpg (113.28 KiB) Viewed 4086 times
Auto.jpg
Auto.jpg (116.07 KiB) Viewed 4086 times
Performance.jpg
Performance.jpg (115.16 KiB) Viewed 4086 times
W8 Pro • GK1 • AK3 • AM02 • T6 Pro • AMR5 • GK3 Pro • AD03 • AM06 Pro • T8 Pro • S1 • T8 Plus • CK10
I have no connection to ACEMAGIC other than being a customer and long time forum member
Dante4

Post by Dante4 »

Gabe wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:07 pm only when the CPU is under a stressful load that you may notice a difference
I would like to add. If you hibernate Windows, unplug AMR5 and then start it back - changing performance mode will do nothing. Checked it 3 times. With CPU-Z bench
Dante4

Post by Dante4 »

Proof:
After hibernating

After reboot (fixed)
Last edited by Dante4 on Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post by Gabe »

Dante4,

Good catch. I just tested it and saw the same thing, though even without removing power. Just putting into hibernation and then bringing it back out again is enough to render the dial ineffective.

Hopefully the admin will notify the technical department of this to see if they can effect some kind of solution.

Another thing I discovered is that, after a clean install of W11 Pro 22H2, the dial wouldn't have any effect after a normal start, but it would after the unit had been restarted. Not shut down and started again, but using Restart from the Start Menu. However, I discovered that the problem was 'fast start-up'. After unchecking 'Turn on fast start-up' in the Power Options and clicking 'Save changes', it works as it should after a normal startup.

For reference, your second video is blank.
W8 Pro • GK1 • AK3 • AM02 • T6 Pro • AMR5 • GK3 Pro • AD03 • AM06 Pro • T8 Pro • S1 • T8 Plus • CK10
I have no connection to ACEMAGIC other than being a customer and long time forum member
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I'm sorry I'm just now seeing this, I've forwarded it to the appropriate people to check what the problem is. Please give us some time to test it.
Thanks for joining the forum fans, we will become friends here. Any suggestions about the forum I am open to hearing.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Dante4 wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 12:53 pm I would like to add. If you hibernate Windows, unplug AMR5 and then start it back - changing performance mode will do nothing. Checked it 3 times. With CPU-Z bench
Gabe wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:43 pm
Hopefully the admin will notify the technical department of this to see if they can effect some kind of solution.
Good evening, I just submitted your test results to the technician. He wants you to take some time to use AMD's SystemDeck to test the performance switching error again. Then there is a possibility that the results are not accurate when testing AMD CPUs with Core temp.

Here is the download link.

Again, thank you for finding the bug. It makes us better to have customers like you. :)
Thanks for joining the forum fans, we will become friends here. Any suggestions about the forum I am open to hearing.
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post by Gabe »

AMD's System Deck won't run on this system.

Screenshot 2022-10-13 204634.png
Screenshot 2022-10-13 204634.png (9.17 KiB) Viewed 3868 times
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Gabe wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:48 am AMD's System Deck won't run on this system.

Screenshot 2022-10-13 204634.png
Hi, Gabe
Please right click and run as administrator, this video will help you to understand this software:

Also run OCCT for stress testing. Check the power consumption variation:
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post by Gabe »

admin wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:52 am Hi, Gabe
Please right click and run as administrator, this video will help you to understand this software:
That did the trick. 👍

When running System Deck and OCCT after normal startup, the dial changes did show in the voltage, with the three settings showing 12V, 20V and around 28V for Silent, Auto and Performance, respectively.

I then set the unit into Hibernation and unplugged the power. After waiting about two minutes, I plugged the power back in and pressed the dial to start the unit back up. After the unit was started, I again ran the two programs. It showed that the dial had been rendered ineffective. There was no change in the voltage when changing the dial.

Then, after shutting down and starting up normally, and then checking to ensure the dial was again working properly, I set the unit to Hibernation. However, this time I did not remove power, and after about ten seconds of going into hibernation I started the unit back up, and the results were the same. The dial was rendered ineffective. So, the power doesn't even have to be removed after Hibernation for it to happen. Just setting the PC into Hibernation, then bringing it back out, renders the dial ineffective.

So, System Deck and OCCT are showing the same thing as Core Temp and CPU-Z. Hibernation does something to the dial, making it not work.

Return to “AMD Ryzen™5 5600U(AMR5) 5800U”