how to get BIOS to monitor output?

xcursorgen

how to get BIOS to monitor output?

Post by xcursorgen »

Hello

my GK3V boots into a Windows installation procedure and displays this on HDMI1, I tried 2 monitors, just fine. (1366x760 roughly was displayed, numbers not exact) This is extremely fast, so that i'm unsure if I can press Delete fast enough, or if it's the correct Delete flavor, or if the BIOS even finds the USB keyboard.

After power button off and on, it does not go back to the starting screen. It goes back to the last state of the installation process, like suspend/resume. After power unplug/replug, it does go back to the start.

Never ever does it display anything from the BIOS.

However, I want to install Linux and get into a BIOS display, like laptops and old PCs did, and as it is displayed in at least one thread on this forum.

What is required for this?

I tried HDMI1 to multiple monitors, and VGA to a VGA capable one. (I don't otherwise use external monitors, with laptops they are built in, and ARM boxes have serial. So I just have old or cheap ones) By experimenting with on/off button and power supply multiple times and hammering Delete, I sometimes get to a state where it seems to be on (network lights on), and all monitors at all times say "No signal". This must be "booted into BIOS" as opposed to "into Windows". After some time, the fan shows a sign of life.

What, now, is required to display anything on any monitor? What must be supported by the monitor? A specific resolution? Is the output on VGA or HDMI1, or even on HDMI2?

Or is there a serial connection for the BIOS, in case no monitor works?
xcursorgen

Re: how to get BIOS to monitor output?

Post by xcursorgen »

With monitor #4 I got BIOS output.

In a "toast" popup on the monitor I could see a resolution mentioned with the number 1024, I think. Or was it something else 10xx?

So maybe a 1024x768 resolution is required.
rogstar

Post by rogstar »

I don't understand your question. You don't need any special device to enter or display the BIOS, just press DEL after powering your computer to enter the BIOS.
IanC

Post by IanC »

I think he's saying that no video outputs to the monitor during system POST, the display doesn't come up until Windows has begun to load. I have the same issue which seems to be much worse now after installing the GK1V25 BIOS update to support Windows 11.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

ianc,
Thank you for bringing this topic back to my attention. Can you make a video showing the problem you are having? I will contact the technicians I know to analyze and solve your problem. :!:
Thanks for joining the forum fans, we will become friends here. Any suggestions about the forum I am open to hearing.
IanC

Post by IanC »

I followed the directions to clear the CMOS; disconnect the battery from the system board and jump the two pins to discharge. The boot process is now much faster and more reliable. The system does still hang up sometimes during a reboot if the display (which happens to be a TV) is turned off.

Return to “J4125(GK3)”