New aacepc will not recognize external or internal hard drive

Please discuss some frequently asked questions here!
M3Man

New aacepc will not recognize external or internal hard drive

Post by M3Man »

I just got this from Amazon. I installed a working Western Digital hard drive loaded with music files inside the computer, but it does not come up in windows explorer. the same thing happens when I plug any drive into a USB port. When I check in Device Manager, it shows the drives are working, but I cannot access them via any software.

Is there anything I can do to make this work? If not, I would like to exchange it for one that works. Please send instructions.
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Re: New aacepc will not recognize external or internal hard drive

Post by Gabe »

Which model do you have?
W8 Pro • GK1 • AK3 • AM02 • T6 Pro • AMR5 • GK3 Pro • AD03 • AM06 Pro • T8 Pro • S1 • T8 Plus • CK10
I have no connection to ACEMAGIC other than being a customer and long time forum member
dragonpoo

Post by dragonpoo »

Indeed, please let us know what model you have.

In addition, check the Disk Management and see what shows up there (screenshots would be great).

Also, run an Admin command prompt, open Diskpart, and run:
List Disk
List Volume
...and provide the output from those. :)
GK3V (J4125/8GB/128GB) | AMR5 (R5 5600U/16GB/512GB NVMe) | JK06 (N5100/8GB/256GB) | AK1Pro (N5105/8GB/256GB) | T8Pro (N5095/8GB/256GB) | AD03 (N95/8GB/256GB) | CK10 (i7-10810U/16GB/512GB) | S1 (N95/16GB/512GB)
M3Man

Post by M3Man »

I have a GK2

when I run diskpart, under list disk, it says Disk 0, on line, size 119 gb, free zero, then it says Disk 1, online, 0B, free 0.

Under list volume it shws volume 0, windows, ntfs, paertition size 118 gbn healthy, boot
volume 1, system, fat32, partition 100 mb, healthy system
volume 2 recovery, ntfs, partition, 1000 mb, healthy, hidden

under disk management, it shows the internal disk as disk 0, then disk 1 is unknown and not initialized. this is a 585 gb Western Digital disk installed in the bay on top of the computer
M3Man

Post by M3Man »

Here are the screen shots. First I had to look up how to do them. my mini keyboard doesnt have a print screen button
Capture.PNG 1.PNG
Capture.PNG 1.PNG (46 KiB) Viewed 6889 times
Capture.PNG 1.PNG
Capture.PNG 1.PNG (46 KiB) Viewed 6889 times
Attachments
Capture.PNG 2.PNG
Capture.PNG 2.PNG (99.37 KiB) Viewed 6889 times
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post by Gabe »

I would try right clicking on the disk in Disk Management and see if there is an option to initialize the disk. If this doesn't work, and from what you're describing, I'm wondering if it could be a power issue, as in the unit not providing enough for a laptop HDD.

I'd contact ACEPC after sales support at service@iacepc.com to see if they can help.
W8 Pro • GK1 • AK3 • AM02 • T6 Pro • AMR5 • GK3 Pro • AD03 • AM06 Pro • T8 Pro • S1 • T8 Plus • CK10
I have no connection to ACEMAGIC other than being a customer and long time forum member
M3Man

Post by M3Man »

It won't let me initialize. Also it won't run any disk plugged in to a usb port, even with the internal HD removes. gives same error messages

I'll will run a reset, and if that doesn't fix it, I'll contsct sales support.

thanks for you prompt relpies
M3Man

Post by M3Man »

I did a complete windows reset and that did not help.

Earlier, you suggested that maybe the computer power supply could not handle a laptop hard drive. My plan for this machine is to put a 2tb hard drive in it to play music from. It is advertised as being able to use a hard drive up to 2tb, so I need to know...is there a problem with the computer I have, or will it be the same with a replacement?

None of the drives I have are new, so they may not have low power consumption. I have tried a 600GB Western digital in the bay inside to computer, It has also failed to recognize any drive plugged into a USB port. I have tried a 250gb Seagate and a 4tb Western digital.

Do I need to use an SSD? that would be tough, since a 2tb SSD cost abut $200.

Is there some specific power consumption I need to be aware of in choosing a drive?

can you suggest a non ssd 2tb drive that you know for sure will work?

Thanks again for your prompt replies.
witt

Post by witt »

It seems that there is a problem with the mini pc sata cable or power supply. If you don't have more SSDs to verify, I suggest you look for after-sales service.
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post by Gabe »

M3Man,

The GK2 should be able to operate recent HDDs. Whether your HDD requires an amount of power that the GK2 can't provide or whether there is an actual problem with your GK2 I can't say, but that it has the same issue with multiple USB HDDs suggests there may be a problem with the GK2 itself. Your best option is to contact after sales support, who can provide more technical help and/or solutions than what is available here.

With this said, my GK1, which is more or less the same as a GK2, but with a different case, can successfully run my external laptop HDD, which is a 500GB Seagate in a USB external enclosure. It's what I use to save system images and other important files.

Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (45.25 KiB) Viewed 6828 times

Return to “FAQ”