wireless issue

Come here to find solutions to difficult problems!
tobi16

wireless issue

Post by tobi16 »

hi,
i´m new to this forum, so unsure if the right topic placement

my prob:
the first few weeks all was ok running my new ACEPC Mini-PC (Windows 10 Pro, 8GB DDR4/ 128GB ROM, Intel Celeron J4125-Prozessor)
but all of a sudden, WLAN fails to connect for a while, then coming back again. The time it stays unconnected may vary - I sometimes just go to Wireless -> connect - and it comes back.

When connected via cable, all is good..
other units like phone always connected via WLAN, no router issues

But here comes a point that is somehow weird:
I found that the disconnection occurs on some social media - when I download a video with a FF plugin or youtube use.
So I can reproduce the issue. AS I´M WRITING THIS, NO DISCONNECTION SO FAR

I installed OPERA and did not visit these sites to see what happens. Yes, the connection was stable for a longer time - but when leaving it on for a while, it was also disconnected when I came back. So the issue might be of some special background ?????????

I asked some IT- cats here in Germany and one of them said it must be the Realtek adapter cos it is known as the cheapest available and a quite old one too (Intel AC-7265 WLAN Adapter) .

for the Realtek 8821CE Wireless LAN 802.11ac PCI-E NIC I tried this (alternative?) driver:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/de/dow ... ss-Adapter

may be I should try another one?
thanks
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Re: wireless issue

Post by Gabe »

tobi16,

If the model you have is one that has the add on HDD/SSD space under the lid (AK2, AK3, GK2, GK3, etc.), the problem may very well be with the WiFi antenna placement, especially if an HDD/SSD is currently installed and connected in that space. The following video gives a fix for it, if you're comfortable with attempting it. Just be careful, as the antenna wires are thin.

W8 Pro • GK1 • AK3 • AM02 • T6 Pro • AMR5 • GK3 Pro • AD03 • AM06 Pro • T8 Pro • S1 • T8 Plus • CK10
I have no connection to ACEMAGIC other than being a customer and long time forum member
tobi16

Post by tobi16 »

oh, that´s interesting, thanks..
Last edited by tobi16 on Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tobi16

Post by tobi16 »

okay thanks I didn´t find the point to download the video first , but now I did.
Will try this, despite its a bit funny to modify a brand new machine.
Will come back later
tobi16

Post by tobi16 »

hi again,
unfortunately, the antenna is already on one of the sides, not behind the HD connector.
so I assume the slightly larger one? is WLAN which is on the side where the LED is - pointing upwards when I attach the PC behind my screen.
Distance to router is just 3 meters

doesn´t seem to be the reason. Now I´m quite a bit disappointed...
after it has started, I need to push "connect" several times until it is established, never knowing how long it will stay
mini PC.jpg
mini PC.jpg (354.87 KiB) Viewed 2945 times
Last edited by tobi16 on Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post by Gabe »

tobi16,

Ah, okay. From the looks of it you may have one of the newer ones that now have the antennas moved to a different spot rather than the spot that was giving problems.

One way to know almost for sure if the problem is being caused by the antennas is if the problem doesn't exist when a drive isn't being used under the lid. Like if you're currently using a drive under the lid for extra storage, and you take it out and the WiFi then works without issue, it's almost assuredly due to the antennas, but if you aren't using a drive at all, or if you're able to take it out and the problem STILL exists, it's highly unlikely to be caused by the antennas. It's having the drive in place that causes the antennas to go goofy, though I don't know why. It may be that the wires in the drive adapter put out some kind of noise interference that affects the antennas' signal. I should have mentioned all of this first, and I apologize for not doing so.

With this said, either way, at this point the admin will likely have to help, as I don't really know a next step to suggest. You could try running Windows 10's built in troubleshooter on the WiFi adapter, but I really doubt that would help.

An alternative to waiting for the admin to reply is contacting ACEPC after sales support at service@iacepc.com.

I really hope you can get the issue resolved quickly and easily.
W8 Pro • GK1 • AK3 • AM02 • T6 Pro • AMR5 • GK3 Pro • AD03 • AM06 Pro • T8 Pro • S1 • T8 Plus • CK10
I have no connection to ACEMAGIC other than being a customer and long time forum member
tobi16

Post by tobi16 »

hi Gabe
thanks for your comment!

no, I don't use another HD yet
I found that coming back after closing the box it doesn't fail so often as before....
it seems to stay even hours before jumping off again.
that must be cos I remember I left the pin connector for the HD a bit off the side
its hanging a few centimeters away from the original place

its better, but not perfect
tobi16

Post by tobi16 »

edit:
very strange - but this evening it started to fail more often again...

the chip must be in a thermal area that prevents it from working right.
if so, I dont see any chance but using an USB wireless device - which is indeed sad
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post by Gabe »

tobi,

That's unfortunate. I would still consider contacting their after sales support to see what can be done to help you. From your description the unit is fairly new, so under warranty. I'm sure they'll do something to help, whatever that may be.

Regarding your idea, I actually did that with a "lesser" unit that I have. I had a GK1 and an AK3. I liked the GK1 case design more (it's like the AK1), but the AK3 had a better CPU, as well as better RAM and more storage, so I swapped the system boards. They're the same dimensions and layout. The GK1 case with the better board works perfectly, but the AK3 case with the lesser board doesn't. Though fine for its own case, the antenna lengths on the GK1 board were shorter, so I couldn't properly place them in the AK3 case. So, I ended up getting an inexpensive USB WiFi antenna, and that solved the issue. It was less than $20 with tax from Amazon. I actually completely removed the internal antennas. Granted, I don't use that unit much, and I actually just 'Frankensteined' it even more, as you can see here, but when I do use it I still use that USB antenna.

On an interesting, unrelated side note, my prior reply to you was my 500th post here. They should give me a gold star, or at least a cookie. J/K! 🤣
tobi16

Post by tobi16 »

They should give me a gold star
well, here´s mine
giphy.gif
giphy.gif (1.58 MiB) Viewed 2867 times

Return to “Computer Technology Zone”