GK3 Secure boot bios update

Quick Fix.
me@thomasjordan.xyz

GK3 Secure boot bios update

Post by me@thomasjordan.xyz »

Just curious if there will be a bios update available for GK3 that allows the option to enable secure boot, I only bought this device a few weeks ago and disappointed secure boot is not available to enable in bios as this means i will not be able to upgrade to Windows 11.

All other requirements are met like TPM 2.0 and CPU, just not secure boot.

I have had a look around the forum and been unable to find a solution.
chrisop2373

Re: GK3 Secure boot bios update

Post by chrisop2373 »

I'd like to know this too. Only just found out it won't run Windows 11 after using the PC Health Check app from Microsoft.
antoace

Post by antoace »

please I would like to know too. I have the GK3V and ran the latest "PC Health" tool from Microsoft to determine if Windows 11 could be installed, and the tool replied that the system does not support secure boot. Hope you will solve this soon!
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post by Gabe »

me@thomasjordan.xyz,

Though it's possible they may very well do so, it likely won't be for quite some time before that happens. They're going to have to get a public release version of Windows 11, then start debugging it to know whether it will run properly on their machines, and also tailor anything they will need to in order to help make it run well. Once they're doing this, they'll likely look into the BIOS features that will be required to support Windows 11, including Secure Boot and fTPM.

From what I've seen, it usually takes a number of months before a newly released version of Windows is available for their units. And, of course, with Windows 11 it's even more difficult due to the Secure Boot and TPM requirements, as will it be for many manufacturers.

There are some TPM and Secure Boot workarounds that have already been noted on various sites, but whether they will work for any particular brand or unit won't really be known at least until the public version of W11 is released.
W8 Pro • GK1 • AK3 • AM02 • T6 Pro • AMR5 • GK3 Pro • AD03 • AM06 Pro • T8 Pro • S1 • T8 Plus • CK10
I have no connection to ACEMAGIC other than being a customer and long time forum member
EClark5483

Post by EClark5483 »

From what I have been reading, the secure boot and TPM are not requirements, but rather recommendations. Keep in mind any release of Windows 11 out there in the wild right now is a Beta release. I would not be too concerned with secure boot or TPM at this time even though the upgrade advisor might be telling you different. It's my understanding Microsoft has now (silently) dropped the soft floor requirements. Safe bet at this time, is just hold tight till the final version. Trust me, Micro$oft isn't going to want to see end users switch to Linux or MAC over something so silly and trivial. I've been testing Windows 11 for a few days now. Can't honestly say I am impressed. 2 things right from the start that I do not like and will absolutely prevent me from using it, is the requirement to have internet access while installing and the requirement to sign into a Microsoft account. Just those 2 things alone will sway others to an alternate OS, not just myself. And don't get me started on the rest of the interface.
My YouTube channel: Phreakwar PC Custom Builds
antoace

Post by antoace »

EClark5483,
the requirements have been softened for the preview builds, but currently it is written that the final release will enforce them . Those using the preview builds will have to switch back to Windows 10.
Even if there will be workarounds it would be great to have an official update to support Secure Boot, since at least for GK3V the processor is in the list of supported CPUs. It would be of tremendous benefit to existing and new customers of AcePC.
rroger

Post by rroger »

I have now purchased the GK3V because, based on the hardware, I assumed that Windows 11 will run on the device.
I am very surprised that computers will still be sold in 2021 that do not support Secure Boot.
Please provide a BIOS update.
witt

Post by witt »

https://www.iacepc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1094

This is the system for upgrading windows11
antoace

Post by antoace »

witt wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:09 am https://www.iacepc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1094

This is the system for upgrading windows11
So does this system image support Secure Boot?
Because beta win 11 can be installed also without secure boot and TPM 2.0 but Microsoft confirmed final version will require Secure Boot and TPM 2.0.
NonExit

Post by NonExit »

The TPM 2.0 version is present, just activate it from the bios, instead of the secure boot no trace, I hope for an update by the manufacturer

Return to “Troubleshooting”