Is it possible to disable the integrated GPU?

AMD Ryzen 5 5600U/5800U
W4RL10N

Is it possible to disable the integrated GPU?

Post by W4RL10N »

Hello, I am a new owner of AMR5 with ryzen 5600U, i really like the little thing, but what i dislike is the limited bios. The features seem to be very few, especially for overclocking and playing with GPU/CPU/RAM settings. I hope a better bios comes out in the future.
Anyway to my point, I've upgraded my AMR5 to 32Gb of RAM (Kingston Fury Impact) and also connected an external GPU to it via M.2 adapter. Everything works great and for the most part i have no issues.
But i do wanna know, is there a way to disable the integrated GPU because i can use my external GPU now? The graphics configuration tab in bios is completely empty so its no use at all. Is there a way to enable the GPU settings in bios and disable the iGPU from there?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Cheers!
barry777

Re: Is it possible to disable the integrated GPU?

Post by barry777 »

hello
If you have successfully connected an external graphics card, you need to install the graphics card driver of this brand in the system. After the installation, you can check the driver installation in the display adapter in the device Manager. You do not need to set it in the BIOS. Since the video output signal is in the HDMI or DP port of the external graphics card when connected to the external graphics card, the integrated graphics card will not affect the computer otherwise.
Thank you for your support and trust all the time.
To this end
W4RL10N

Post by W4RL10N »

Thanks for your reply,
I have no problem with external GPU as i mentioned, i am just curious is there an option to disable integrated GPU? Because my CPU reaches over 70C while gaming and it doesnt allow it to boost to 4Ghz. So my thinking is, if i can disable the iGPU it would reduce the temperature of the CPU so that it can boost for longer.
Not sure if that explains it better
barry777

Post by barry777 »

After using an external GPU, the iGPU will not be used; most games use GPU performance, which has little to do with the CPU, you can turn on the high-performance mode on AMR5; currently there is no updated BIOS version
W4RL10N

Post by W4RL10N »

barry777 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:55 am After using an external GPU, the iGPU will not be used; most games use GPU performance, which has little to do with the CPU, you can turn on the high-performance mode on AMR5; currently there is no updated BIOS version
After tinkering around in the BIOS, i have found "AMD CBS" which seems to be where most CPU/iGPU options are hiding under names that were unfamiliar to me until now as I have only had experience with Intel motherboards.
I managed to disable iGPU by going to Advanced > AMD CBS > NBIO Common Options >iGPU Configuration > Disable
This worked and it disabled my iGPU. I also found options for CPU overclocking and changing package wattage, which is all i asked for from a BIOS.

Thank you for your replies anyway!
Now i am even happier with my purchase of this mini PC, highly recommend it to anyone interested in one!

Return to “AMD Ryzen™5 5600U(AMR5) 5800U”