AMR5 Mini PC - Changing Performance Mode Does Nothing?

AMD Ryzen 5 5600U/5800U
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: AMR5 Mini PC - Changing Performance Mode Does Nothing?

Post by admin »

Today the technical staff feedback tested the problem of restarting the PC after hibernation. But there is no bug of switching performance.
What is your BIOS version? Maybe it has something to do with the BIOS version. I would use the control variable.
Thanks for joining the forum fans, we will become friends here. Any suggestions about the forum I am open to hearing.
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post by Gabe »

Here's the BIOS with mine...

100_0062.1.JPG
100_0062.1.JPG (242.81 KiB) Viewed 3663 times

It may be important to again note that I have Windows 11 Pro 22H2 installed. The unit came with Windows 11 Pro 21H2. Also, just in case it matters, my version is with the Ryzen 5 5600U, not the Ryzen 5 4500U.
W8 Pro • GK1 • AK3 • AM02 • T6 Pro • AMR5 • GK3 Pro • AD03 • AM06 Pro • T8 Pro • S1 • T8 Plus • CK10
I have no connection to ACEMAGIC other than being a customer and long time forum member
Dante4

Post by Dante4 »

admin wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:50 am Today the technical staff feedback tested the problem of restarting the PC after hibernation. But there is no bug of switching performance.
What is your BIOS version? Maybe it has something to do with the BIOS version. I would use the control variable.
Hello, sorry for late answer. The problem is not after restart, but after hibernate, here is video for technical staff to show them the problem

The problem itself after 1:37.

Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post by Gabe »

Exact same thing I'm seeing. The system defaults to a top of ~18V after coming out of hibernation, no matter what the adjustment dial is set on.
W8 Pro • GK1 • AK3 • AM02 • T6 Pro • AMR5 • GK3 Pro • AD03 • AM06 Pro • T8 Pro • S1 • T8 Plus • CK10
I have no connection to ACEMAGIC other than being a customer and long time forum member
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Gabe wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:41 pm Here's the BIOS with mine...
Got it. i found the latest BIOS for you.

unzip the file. Copy it to the root directory of your USB drive. Press F7 on your keyboard to select U disk to boot. The bios will be automatically flashed.
Dante4 wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:05 pm
Hello, sorry for late answer. The problem is not after restart, but after hibernate, here is video for technical staff to show them the problem

It doesn't matter.Thank you again for the detailed video explanation.
You can also fix the issue by refreshing this Bios. Thank you for your positive feedback. This will help more customers.👍👍👍
Thanks for joining the forum fans, we will become friends here. Any suggestions about the forum I am open to hearing.
Dante4

Post by Dante4 »

admin wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:02 am
Gabe wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:41 pm Here's the BIOS with mine...
Got it. i found the latest BIOS for you.
unzip the file. Copy it to the root directory of your USB drive. Press F7 on your keyboard to select U disk to boot. The bios will be automatically flashed.
Dante4 wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:05 pm

It doesn't matter.Thank you again for the detailed video explanation.
You can also fix the issue by refreshing this Bios. Thank you for your positive feedback. This will help more customers.👍👍👍

Thanks. That BIOS fixed the problem with Hibernating.

Here is video of BIOS upgrade from beginning to the end in case someone wants to know before hand what they need to do.
Btw, there is missing one command, i.e. "exit" at the end of the script

Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post by Gabe »

admin wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:02 am Got it. i found the latest BIOS for you.
Thank you. The updated BIOS fixed both the issue after Hibernation and the issue after a normal start with "fast boot" enabled in the power options.

I would make a suggestion, however. First, I didn't know the USB flash drive had to be in FAT32. I spent twenty minutes trying it with a flash drive formatted in NFTS before I figured out that was the problem. Second, the procedure with flashing isn't all automatic. After the flashing happened it came to a blue screen that said something like "EFI Update complete", indicating that the flash had completed. So, I then waited. Ten minutes, twenty minutes --- an hour. I knew that doing anything wrong with a BIOS flash can brick the unit, so I didn't dare do anything. I was assuming that the entire process was automatic, and the end result would be automatically booting back to Windows. Finally, after about an hour and twenty minutes, I typed 'exit' and hit Enter, darn near having a heart attack while doing so, worrying that every single thing I did was going to kill the unit.

It rebooted, then nothing. The screen went dead. I waited a few minutes, and nothing. The unit was on, as the lights on it were on, but it was showing nothing on the screen. I tried CTRL-ALT- DEL to get it to reboot, again wondering if doing so would kill the unit, and also wondering if I'm just supposed to wait. Finally, I just pressed and the dial, trying to shut the unit down. At that point I assumed I had ruined it, so forcing a shutdown didn't matter. If what happened next hadn't happened when it did, my next step was simply pulling the plug. FINALLY, after about fifteen seconds of holding the dial in the screen came alive and showed that it was in Windows and Windows was shutting down, at which time my heart stopped pounding nearly out of my chest. I then started the unit and it worked normally.

It would be a very good idea to write a more thorough instruction guide, and/or even create a video, showing what to do from formatting the drive to booting back to Windows, and every step in between. This way people don't get stuck like I did, having no clue as to what you're supposed to do. Again, I thought as soon as I selected the drive in F7 EVERYTHING would be automatic and within a few minutes the BIOS would be flashed and the unit would be booting back to Windows. I was wrong and had no clue what to do, as there are no further instructions. It's a miracle I didn't brick this unit.

The riskiest thing one can do with a unit should have a more thorough set of instructions, with no step needing guessing.
Dante4

Post by Dante4 »

Gabe wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:31 pm a blue screen that said something like "EFI Update complete", indicating that the flash had completed. So, I then waited. Ten minutes, twenty minutes --- an hour. I knew that doing anything wrong with a BIOS flash can brick the unit, so I didn't dare do anything. I was assuming that the entire process was automatic, and the end result would be automatically booting back to Windows. Finally, after about an hour and twenty minutes, I typed 'exit' and hit Enter, darn near having a heart attack while doing so, worrying that every single thing I did was going to kill the unit.
Yeah, that's was a bit unexpected, but you should have noticed the errors "fs5 not found", "fs6 not found". And inside script there is a simple "foreach" for fs[1-6], fs is basically where BIOS is.
Gabe wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:31 pm It rebooted, then nothing. The screen went dead. I waited a few minutes, and nothing. The unit was on, as the lights on it were on, but it was showing nothing on the screen.
That's strange. I got instantly back to BIOS then I loaded to the OS.

But after I rebooted I too met black screen until I clicked hibernate again. But I always have the problem with my type-c screen, the AMR5 refuses to send video to it after it's goes to power safe mode until i replug it, so at least I wasn't panicking. That much i mean :lol:
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post by Gabe »

Dante4 wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:39 pm
Yeah, that's was a bit unexpected, but you should have noticed the errors "fs5 not found", "fs6 not found". And inside script there is a simple "foreach" for fs[1-6], fs is basically where BIOS is.
I did, but I didn't know what any of that meant. Twice I redownloaded and unzipped the files, copying them again to the drive, figuring something got messed up either in the unzipping or during the copying to the drive. Reformatting to FAT32 was just a lucky guess.
That's strange. I got instantly back to BIOS then I loaded to the OS.

But after I rebooted I too met black screen until I clicked hibernate again. But I always have the problem with my type-c screen, the AMR5 refuses to send video to it after it's goes to power safe mode until i replug it, so at least I wasn't panicking. That much i mean :lol:
I really do think it's pure luck that I didn't end up bricking this thing. I was so afraid that, after all that, it wasn't going to start.

I've not had the best of luck when it comes to BIOS flashing with mini PCs. Late last year I ended up bricking one from another manufacturer, though I followed their flashing instructions to a T. Flashing it was necessary for it to support Windows 11. Thankfully, they replaced the unit, even though it was well over a year old and outside of their warranty period.
Dante4

Post by Dante4 »

Gabe wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:53 pm I did, but I didn't know what any of that meant. Twice I redownloaded and unzipped the files, copying them again to the drive, figuring something got messed up either in the unzipping or during the copying to the drive. Reformatting to FAT32 was just a lucky guess.
Well, that's more about experience, NTFS is only Microsoft filesystem, even Linux not yet fully have support over it. And here is just UEFI, almost all motherboard may be flashed only from fat/fat16/fat32 flash drive.
Gabe wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:53 pm I really do think it's pure luck that I didn't end up bricking this thing. I was so afraid that, after all that, it wasn't going to start.

I've not had the best of luck when it comes to BIOS flashing with mini PCs. Late last year I ended up bricking one from another manufacturer, though I followed their flashing instructions to a T. Flashing it was necessary for it to support Windows 11. Thankfully, they replaced the unit, even though it was well over a year old and outside of their warranty period.
Yeah, I do understand the risk you are talking about, but "no risk, no gain". That's the reason why i have SPI programmer for like one year already.
A bit later I will try to describe the whole process fpr others to learn from our experience with getting heartattack

Return to “AMD Ryzen™5 5600U(AMR5) 5800U”