GK3 Secure boot bios update

Quick Fix.
simonelombardo

Re: GK3 Secure boot bios update

Post by simonelombardo »

-
Last edited by simonelombardo on Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TechUser

Post by TechUser »

I recently purchased the GK3 knowing its J4125 processor is officially supported by Microsoft for Windows 11. Like others, I was disappointed to find a lack of support for Secure Boot in the BIOS. I contacted the seller and was originally told they are willing to provide a BIOS upgrade, only to be told the next day my BIOS (Version 2.19.1268 03/14/2021) is already on the latest version and cannot be upgraded again. If you watch TECHTablet’s review of the model—which was sent to him in exchange for his review—around the 4:25 mark his BIOS is the same version but with a build date of 5/28/2020 AND has the Secure Boot option under the Security tab. After more exchanges, I was told, “Our machines do not support safe boot upgrade. Bios will not be changed for the time being, and it cannot be resolved at this time. If you need to upgrade, you need to buy a machine that can support windows11.”
Servo128

Post by Servo128 »

TechUser wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:24 pm I recently purchased the GK3 knowing its J4125 processor is officially supported by Microsoft for Windows 11. Like others, I was disappointed to find a lack of support for Secure Boot in the BIOS. I contacted the seller and was originally told they are willing to provide a BIOS upgrade, only to be told the next day my BIOS (Version 2.19.1268 03/14/2021) is already on the latest version and cannot be upgraded again. If you watch TECHTablet’s review of the model—which was sent to him in exchange for his review—around the 4:25 mark his BIOS is the same version but with a build date of 5/28/2020 AND has the Secure Boot option under the Security tab. After more exchanges, I was told, “Our machines do not support safe boot upgrade. Bios will not be changed for the time being, and it cannot be resolved at this time. If you need to upgrade, you need to buy a machine that can support windows11.”
This is getting silly. Surely they have a copy of the older bios that they can refresh to work?
simonelombardo

Post by simonelombardo »

-
Last edited by simonelombardo on Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post by Gabe »

Folks, a couple of things to keep in mind.

First is that Windows 10 will continue to be supported by Microsoft until October 2025, so if you recently purchased a unit and it doesn't currently or ultimately support Windows 11, it will still be perfectly usable for another four years.

Second, and though this is after the fact, other than the operating system a unit comes with, one should never assume a unit will support one operating system or another unless it states that in the description. i.e. does it say "Supports Windows 11" or "Will support Windows 11"? If it doesn't, don't automatically assume that it will do so just because it meets particular system requirements, including RAM and CPU, or even that it can or will because an older version of the same unit had a particular setting available in the BIOS that the current version doesn't.

Please understand, I'm not trying to belittle anyone's frustrations or anything of the sort, nor dismiss their disappointment. I have three units myself that all meet the physical system requirements, but none of which currently support Windows 11 because of TPM or Secure Boot not being available. I'd love to be able to install the official, non-tweaked version of Windows 11 on them, but they may never support it. I'm only stating the realities of buying PCs, especially those of a small form factor, and partly for those who've not yet done so, regardless of the brand.
W8 Pro • GK1 • AK3 • AM02 • T6 Pro • AMR5 • GK3 Pro • AD03 • AM06 Pro • T8 Pro • S1 • T8 Plus • CK10
I have no connection to ACEMAGIC other than being a customer and long time forum member
Speed_zgz

Post by Speed_zgz »

Gabe wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:19 pm Folks, a couple of things to keep in mind.

First is that Windows 10 will continue to be supported by Microsoft until October 2025, so if you recently purchased a unit and it doesn't currently or ultimately support Windows 11, it will still be perfectly usable for another four years.

Second, and though this is after the fact, other than the operating system a unit comes with, one should never assume a unit will support one operating system or another unless it states that in the description. i.e. does it say "Supports Windows 11" or "Will support Windows 11"? If it doesn't, don't automatically assume that it will do so just because it meets particular system requirements, including RAM and CPU, or even that it can or will because an older version of the same unit had a particular setting available in the BIOS that the current version doesn't.

Please understand, I'm not trying to belittle anyone's frustrations or anything of the sort, nor dismiss their disappointment. I have three units myself that all meet the physical system requirements, but none of which currently support Windows 11 because of TPM or Secure Boot not being available. I'd love to be able to install the official, non-tweaked version of Windows 11 on them, but they may never support it. I'm only stating the realities of buying PCs, especially those of a small form factor, and partly for those who've not yet done so, regardless of the brand.
And.. what if some of us buy this ACPC because, as seen in the YT video, comply with all requirements to update to W11 and when receive the unit, it's not what seems to be ??
Who have the fault ??
Servo128

Post by Servo128 »

Gabe wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:19 pm Folks, a couple of things to keep in mind.

What a negative post this is. We have spent money on these mini pc's and expect that they would be catered for. I've had mine four weeks and I paid the extra for the 12 gig version and now it's doomed to the box it came in.
'
@admin
Can you please answer the question we have all asked, will there be a bios update? a simple yes/no
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post by Gabe »

Servo128 wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:58 pm What a negative post this is. We have spent money on these mini pc's and expect that they would be catered for. I've had mine four weeks and I paid the extra for the 12 gig version and now it's doomed to the box it came in.
I'm sorry you see it as a negative post. It wasn't meant to be.

Why is it "doomed to the box it came in"? Does it no longer work?
W8 Pro • GK1 • AK3 • AM02 • T6 Pro • AMR5 • GK3 Pro • AD03 • AM06 Pro • T8 Pro • S1 • T8 Plus • CK10
I have no connection to ACEMAGIC other than being a customer and long time forum member
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post by Gabe »

Speed_zgz wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:41 pm
And.. what if some of us buy this ACPC because, as seen in the YT video, comply with all requirements to update to W11 and when receive the unit, it's not what seems to be ??
Who have the fault ??
If ACEPC has a video on Youtube that states that a unit is Windows 11 ready, that's a different story, and the particular unit absolutely should support Windows 11.
nmeuret

Post by nmeuret »

Gabe wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:10 am
Servo128 wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:58 pm What a negative post this is. We have spent money on these mini pc's and expect that they would be catered for. I've had mine four weeks and I paid the extra for the 12 gig version and now it's doomed to the box it came in.
I'm sorry you see it as a negative post. It wasn't meant to be.

Why is it "doomed to the box it came in"? Does it no longer work?
The problem Gabe is you keep posting message trying to be on AcePC side, like one of their employee or some super admin you are not. You are not on our side, the side of people who just bought a PC that lakes basic security features and cannot install Windows 11 like all other (serious) brands do.

AcePC is not a serious brand, we should all aware of that now.

Return to “Troubleshooting”