New aacepc will not recognize external or internal hard drive

Please discuss some frequently asked questions here!
M3Man

Re: New aacepc will not recognize external or internal hard drive

Post by M3Man »

This morning I tried something new.

I took the same hard disk that would not work when plugged in to the bay inside the GK2, and plugged the drive into a hard drive docking station with an external power supply. When I plugged the docking station into the GK2, the drive worked fine. This raises, for me, the possibility that the GK2 power supply is not providing enough power to run any of my hard drives. It does put out enough power to charge my iPhone.

I have contacted sales support, seeking a swap with another unit, but have not heard back from them.
witt

Post by witt »

Hello, can you take a picture and show me what kind of hard drive you are connected to? If it is a 3.5-inch mechanical hard drive, it needs independent power supply to identify it
M3Man

Post by M3Man »

IMG_1007 (Medium).JPEG
IMG_1007 (Medium).JPEG (156.55 KiB) Viewed 4720 times
IMG_1006 (Medium).JPEG
IMG_1006 (Medium).JPEG (238.68 KiB) Viewed 4720 times
The pics show a 2.5 WD drive plugged into a docking station with a 3.0 USB connection. The drive works fine in the docking station, but not when plugged in to the internal bay in the computer. This is why I suggest the computer is not putting out enough power to run the drive. The computer will not run any drive I have that I plug into the USB port either.

Is the problem that the computer isn't working properly to put out enough power, or is it that these drives draw more than the computer is drsigned to supply?

The whole point for me choosing this minicomputer is to be able to plug a 2TB drive into the internal bay.

If there is a problem with this specific GK2, please send me another one that works. If the problem is in the design of the GK2, I need to know.
witt

Post by witt »

If it is a solid state drive, it does not need a separate power supply, and the mechanical hard drive may need to be powered to drive
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I'm very sorry for the misunderstanding. Thank you for your feedback, and I hope you have a pleasant experience.
Thanks for joining the forum fans, we will become friends here. Any suggestions about the forum I am open to hearing.

Return to “FAQ”