T11 Mini PC Windows 10 Z8350 Fanless HEATING PROBLEM

Quick Fix.
LUKELUKAS

T11 Mini PC Windows 10 Z8350 Fanless HEATING PROBLEM

Post by LUKELUKAS »

Dear acepc,
Your product T11 unfortunately has many thermal design problems, causing the pc runs extremely hot and slow or freeze either,
pc runs first 5-10minutes fine but as heat build up inside the case, cpu thermal protection feature kicks in and throttle the CPU as low as 400-600mghz where pc become unresponsive. Even normal light working cpu temperature is above 60°C and under a bit load cpu quickly gets as hot as 84°C where thermal protection comes in, not to letting cpu temperature go over 90°C and burn itself, here I listed some of mistakes where made

1) thermal pad it used to heat transfer from cpu to heatsink
thermal pads are unreliable and has low thermal conductivity resulting CPU run hotter, Better way would have been metal shim with thermal paste.
2)Small heatsink used with black rubbery coating,
heatsink should be much bigger than this because it is fanless, it needs much bigger contact surface area to dissipate heat,
black rubbery coat reduces heat dissipating and shiny metal plate attached plastic casing does not help either.
3)Plastic top casing used with no ventilation holes and shiny metal shield/plate attached to it, does not help either because no path provided to hot air to escape.
plastic is cost affective material but because it is thermally insulated properties, it cause the chips inside plastic enclosure to get hot and hotter, metal casing would be best way to avoiding this and dissipating easily , also metal case itself become giant heatsink too. However if insist using plastic case then you should have drilled many holes on top of the plastic case to let hot air out.
I installed 40mm 5v silent fan on top heatsink, it works great keep cpu much cooler even under maximum load cpu barely exceed 50°C which is 30°C cooler than original design, massively increase pc performance and user experience, cpu able to give full power with ease . I hope it helps with your future products design, They get better and better, thanks
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: T11 Mini PC Windows 10 Z8350 Fanless HEATING PROBLEM

Post by admin »

Hi, Luke Lucas. Have a nice day. I am very grateful for your suggestion to ACEPC, but the picture is not shown in the post. I think this is important information. Can you upload it again?
Thanks for joining the forum fans, we will become friends here. Any suggestions about the forum I am open to hearing.
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post by Gabe »

I opened the pictures in their hosting website and took snapshots. These are in the same order.

Screen Shot 2021-05-27 at 5.18.41 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-05-27 at 5.18.41 PM.png (24.41 KiB) Viewed 3340 times
Screen Shot 2021-05-27 at 5.19.41 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-05-27 at 5.19.41 PM.png (566.58 KiB) Viewed 3340 times
Screen Shot 2021-05-27 at 5.19.59 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-05-27 at 5.19.59 PM.png (740.3 KiB) Viewed 3340 times
Screen Shot 2021-05-27 at 5.20.10 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-05-27 at 5.20.10 PM.png (686.18 KiB) Viewed 3340 times
Screen Shot 2021-05-27 at 5.20.23 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-05-27 at 5.20.23 PM.png (548.12 KiB) Viewed 3340 times
W8 Pro • GK1 • AK3 • AM02 • T6 Pro • AMR5 • GK3 Pro • AD03 • AM06 Pro • T8 Pro • S1 • T8 Plus • CK10
I have no connection to ACEMAGIC other than being a customer and long time forum member
perellicippo

Post by perellicippo »

I think the temperature of this mini pc is a big problem. I thought the problem was that I installed LinuxMX. The CPU temperature is always at 70°C and if I install an HD SATA III the temperature exceeds 85/90°C. Hot... very HOOOT :o The computer screen turns black, or white, and nothing more can be done. Just unplug the power supply and switch it back on again.
@LUKELUKAS where did you get the power for the fan? Inside the PC? Where? A pics would help a lot ;)
Thanks perellicippo :)
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

We have always paid great attention to temperature issues, and thank you for your Linux system instructions. Is your model T11?
Thanks for joining the forum fans, we will become friends here. Any suggestions about the forum I am open to hearing.
momo32

Post by momo32 »

Creo que todos los que compramos este T11 tenemos el mismo problema.
El fabricante nos debería de proporcionar un proyecto para imprimir en 3D una nueva carcasa con orificios de ventilación superiores para dejar salir el aire caliente, donde además podamos incorporar un pequeño ventilador, para poder implementar todas las mejoras relatadas por LUKELUKAS, así como indicarnos de dónde podríamos coger la alimentación del ventilador.
Gracias

I think all of us who buy this T11 have the same problem.
The manufacturer should provide us with a project to 3D print a new casing with upper ventilation holes to let the hot air out, where we can also incorporate a small fan, to be able to implement all the improvements reported by LUKELUKAS, as well as indicate us from where we could take the fan power.
Thanks
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

T11 may improve the fan internally in the follow-up. Putting the fan outside will do more harm than good.
rogerinfrance

Post by rogerinfrance »

Silly suggestion, have a look and see if you have conflicts, for example has your machine "discovered" two keypads etc. Look at the device manager, have you got too many of something. If for example your machine has 2 mics then it will create a conflict and get hot, so then have a look at possible error codes, again it can cause conflicts. Unfortunately as you are running linux I do not know what the various parameters could be etc. I have had this on several computers but non running linux, all got hot, all had to have the multiples shut down. R
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post by Gabe »

To add to what rogerinfrance suggested, and if you're running Windows, bring up the Task Manager (press CTRL + Alt + Delete, then click Task Manager) and check the percentage of CPU usage. If it's high, click the CPU header so as to sort the entries from the highest CPU usage to the lowest in order to see what's using the most. If something is constantly using a lot of CPU, there may be a problem pertaining to that entry.

The higher the CPU usage, the higher the heat output from it.
W8 Pro • GK1 • AK3 • AM02 • T6 Pro • AMR5 • GK3 Pro • AD03 • AM06 Pro • T8 Pro • S1 • T8 Plus • CK10
I have no connection to ACEMAGIC other than being a customer and long time forum member

Return to “Troubleshooting”