TPM support - Windows 11

Quick Fix.
attlebax

TPM support - Windows 11

Post by attlebax »

TPM 2.0 is required to upgrade from Windows 10 to 11. I have two T11 machines. Do these support TPM? I cannot find a setting for it in the BIOS.

Is there a list of which models support TPM?
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Re: TPM support - Windows 11

Post by Gabe »

attlebax,

Though I can't say for sure, I doubt it with the T11 due to the processor it uses (Z8350). That processor is not listed in the supported Intel processors on Micrsoft's site.

With this said, you can still check a few things. I know you said you already checked the BIOS, but just in case, enter the BIOS, which you can do by pressing the Delete key on startup, and then check under the Security header for fTPM. If you see fTPM, enable it if it is not already enabled. Then Save and Exit the BIOS. The unit should then start.

Once the unit is up and running, right click on Start and click Device Manager. In the Device Manager look for "Security Devices". Click that, and it should show you what version of TPM it has (if it has fTPM in the BIOS). If it shows TPM 2.0, you should be okay. However, it would still be a good idea to download, install and run the "PC Health Checkup" app from the Windows 11 site at Microsoft. This app will tell you whether your computer supports Windows 11, but again, make sure to turn that fTPM on in the BIOS if it has it, as it won't support Windows 11 without it.

If there is no fTPM in the Security section of the BIOS, it likely does not support Windows 11.

Windows 10 will still receive updates until at least 2025, so the T11 will still be good, even if it doesn't support Windows 11.
W8 Pro • GK1 • AK3 • AM02 • T6 Pro • AMR5 • GK3 Pro • AD03 • AM06 Pro • T8 Pro • S1 • T8 Plus • CK10
I have no connection to ACEMAGIC other than being a customer and long time forum member
EClark5483

Post by EClark5483 »

If it's a Gemini Lake j4125 it should support TPM, you'll need to enable it in the BIOS. I know the Terryza brand supports it, as does the UNILPWAY brand mini. And since these mini's are all pretty much the exact same units with different branding (Think Pontiac Trans-Am .vs Chevy Camaro), I would imagine the TPM setting would be there, guess I'd have to go look at one of my AcePC's to be for certain, but I see no reason why it wouldn't be there. As for the T11, I have no idea, I wanna say NO because of the chipset like Gabe was saying. It should have a FTPM controller though which supports bitlocker, so perhaps the no is a maybe???
My YouTube channel: Phreakwar PC Custom Builds
attlebax

Post by attlebax »

Thanks for replies. I have another machine by a different manufacturer that has the same CPU and that does support TPM 2.0 so it can’t be a problem with the chip.

Having done some research I found a tool for checking Windows 11 compatability at :-

https://www.softpedia.com/get/PORTABLE- ... in11.shtml

The T11 fails on CPU anyway as it appears that Windows 11 needs extremely recent CPU's such as i3-9xxx i5-9xxx or i7-9xxx.

I have tested quite a few machines and so far ALL have failed except for my Macbook running Parallels Desktop. Apparently even some recent Microsoft Surface machines fail.

The issue with the TPM becomes insignificant. Microsoft seem to have shot themselves in the foot with this one. All I can say is 'Hello Linux'.
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post by Gabe »

EClark5483 wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:21 am If it's a Gemini Lake j4125 it should support TPM, you'll need to enable it in the BIOS.
The T11 has an X5 Z8350 Atom processor. It's not listed in the supported processors.

BTW, though the J4125 does support TPM, whether a unit has a TPM chip, or whether it includes fTPM in the firmware, is another story.

I have three J4125 units (two ACEPC). None support Windows 11 as they are now. One because it doesn't support Secure Boot, and the other two for not having any form of TPM. They latter two may also not support Secure Boot, but after seeing no TPM or fTPM, I didn't bother checking any further. Whether a BIOS or firmware update can change any of this, however, I don't really know.
W8 Pro • GK1 • AK3 • AM02 • T6 Pro • AMR5 • GK3 Pro • AD03 • AM06 Pro • T8 Pro • S1 • T8 Plus • CK10
I have no connection to ACEMAGIC other than being a customer and long time forum member
EClark5483

Post by EClark5483 »

Figured out you can get around the TPM support requirement. Pretty easy hack. I plan on covering the hack on my YouTube channel maybe later this week or sometime next week. Right now I am busy filming for 2 different videos I'll be putting out soon. I'll be using a Gen 3 Intel Core i5 for the video even though "officially" Windows 11 is only supposed to be supported by Gen 8 or higher.
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post by Gabe »

EClark5483,

There are bypass instructions out there, both for TPM and Secure Boot.

https://www.windowslatest.com/2021/06/2 ... quirement/
EClark5483

Post by EClark5483 »

Yes, I am aware of that. The reason I am doing the video is actually to cover the Dell Inspiron 660. I had a YouTuber ask me if it was possible and if I would show how it's done, so I had told him after I was done with the videos I am filming that I would cover that topic. The Inspiron 660 and 660s boards are my favorite boards to do case swaps and upgrades on so I get tons of questions about it all the time. I snatch 660 boards up all the time and have 2 more that just came in, figured it would be great content for my channel to do a video on installing Windows 11 in older machines and machines that don't support TPM. I'll be showing a fresh install on an empty drive.

EDIT: One thing to note though, right now all the copies of Windows 11 out in the wild are beta and not the actual release, so whether things will still work or not in the final version still remains to be seen, but for now, you can pretty much install it on any PC that Windows 10 will run on.
nmeuret

Post by nmeuret »

Beware that Microsoft just declared that the TPM bypass tricks that's currently work on W11 preview will not work on finale version.

Wait and see.
dragonpoo

Post by dragonpoo »

nmeuret wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:02 pm Beware that Microsoft just declared that the TPM bypass tricks that's currently work on W11 preview will not work on finale version.

Wait and see.
I'm not surprised that Microsoft would take that route. Their whole reason for requiring TPM and SecureBoot is to present themselves as security-focused.

I also won't be surprised that someone will come out with tricks post-GA. These security requirements are for physical systems, and they'll have lesser requirements for virtual systems, so I'm sure there will be ways to bypass this, unofficially. :)
GK3V (J4125/8GB/128GB) | AMR5 (R5 5600U/16GB/512GB NVMe) | JK06 (N5100/8GB/256GB) | AK1Pro (N5105/8GB/256GB) | T8Pro (N5095/8GB/256GB) | AD03 (N95/8GB/256GB) | CK10 (i7-10810U/16GB/512GB) | S1 (N95/16GB/512GB)

Return to “Troubleshooting”