Missing Secondary SATA SSD most of the time

Quick Fix.
nthack

Missing Secondary SATA SSD most of the time

Post by nthack »

The SATA SSD that installed on my AK1 only shows up intermittently. I would say that it probably shows about 1 time out of 10 after rebooting. It seems like it will sometimes show after I pull out the drive and reseat it in the underside compartment.

My only guess is that there might be a bad connection somewhere. I am using this with Linux, so I can see the raw devices, and it's not there most of the time.

I'm using a Crucial 1TB SSD drive.
witt

Re: Missing Secondary SATA SSD most of the time

Post by witt »

Good day, are there other hard drive tests? Change a SATA cable and have a try
yjchoi17

Post by yjchoi17 »

I have a similar situation going on with my GK2. I wiped out the EMMC on-board SSD and am only using the M.2 SSD.

To successfully boot, I have to pull out the power cord and replug, then press the power button. Without unplugging, the machine would go to the built-in shell, thinking there is no system drive available.

See how your machine works with this unplug/replug method.
GK2 (discontinued model, J4105/4GB/64GB+512GB NVMe*/with Noctua Fan/Windows 10 Home)
* Not all GK2's support NVMe. Check before installing.
W5 Pro (a.k.a. "T5", Z8350/4GB/64GB/Dead CMOS Battery removed/Kubuntu)
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

yjchoi17 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 11:33 am I have a similar situation going on with my GK2. I wiped out the EMMC on-board SSD and am only using the M.2 SSD.

To successfully boot, I have to pull out the power cord and replug, then press the power button. Without unplugging, the machine would go to the built-in shell, thinking there is no system drive available.

See how your machine works with this unplug/replug method.
Hi, yjchoi17. We have not encountered this situation and are very interested in what you said. Can you take a video for us to tell about this process?
Thanks for joining the forum fans, we will become friends here. Any suggestions about the forum I am open to hearing.
yjchoi17

Post by yjchoi17 »

admin wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:23 am Hi, yjchoi17. We have not encountered this situation and are very interested in what you said. Can you take a video for us to tell about this process?
Here is a link to a video I made to explain the issue.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rund1xktxf00z ... e.mov?dl=0
GK2 (discontinued model, J4105/4GB/64GB+512GB NVMe*/with Noctua Fan/Windows 10 Home)
westos

Post by westos »

I have the same problem with my AK1. The HDD in the 2.5" bay only appears if I disconnect the power first. If I reboot, it's gone.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

This may be caused by the power supply problem of the main board of the machine. You can contact our after-sales mailbox: service@iacepc.com for help.
Thanks for joining the forum fans, we will become friends here. Any suggestions about the forum I am open to hearing.
yjchoi17

Post by yjchoi17 »

admin wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 5:45 am This may be caused by the power supply problem of the main board of the machine. You can contact our after-sales mailbox: service@iacepc.com for help.
Not sure about that. It’s more like the system boots up too fast, before the ssd is powered up and ready. I think this can be fixed at the bios/firmware level.
westos

Post by westos »

Agree with yjchoi17. I have 5 units all with the same problem. This seems to be a BIOS/firmware issue.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I have received your feedback. I have reported this problem to the factory before, and the response I got is that the quality of the hard drive supplier is not good. We have replaced the factory hard drive. And if there is a BIOS file update in the future, I will notify you.

Return to “Troubleshooting”