CK6 thermal throttling issue

Quick Fix.
thirtyfiftyone

CK6 thermal throttling issue

Post by thirtyfiftyone »

I have discovered that the CK6 has a manufacturing defect that causes immediate thermal throttling. There are several diodes and capacitors that stick up higher on the motherboard than the processor does, which results in those items touching the heatsink and preventing the CPU from touching the heatsink. You can see from my pictures how the thermal paste didn't get squished.

My resolution is to sand out the heatsink so that those items do not touch the heatsinks. I have noticed a significant reduction in operating temperatures.

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: CK6 thermal throttling issue

Post by admin »

CK6 uses a fanless metal design. The box's surface will heat up due to the metal material, but this will not affect the performance and will not be harmful to long-term use. We commend your hands-on ability but do not recommend other customers to follow suit because it has high technology requirements.
Thanks for joining the forum fans, we will become friends here. Any suggestions about the forum I am open to hearing.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thank you for your suggestion! The CK6 we currently leave the factory has listened to your opinion and fixed this problem. Your feedback will make us better.
Thanks for joining the forum fans, we will become friends here. Any suggestions about the forum I am open to hearing.
thirtyfiftyone

Post by thirtyfiftyone »

admin wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:56 am CK6 uses a fanless metal design. The box's surface will heat up due to the metal material, but this will not affect the performance and will not be harmful to long-term use. We commend your hands-on ability but do not recommend other customers to follow suit because it has high technology requirements.
I fully understand what a "fanless metal design" is and how it is supposed to work. Never under any circumstance is the CPU supposed to hover below the heatsink and never make direct contact. I am informing you of a design flaw. I am not saying that a fanless design is a design flaw, I am saying that this implementation of a fanless design is flawed. Heat does not transfer well through air. Every processor is designed for the heatsink to touch the CPU and squish the thermal paste rather than hover above it and barely touch the top of a very thick layer of paste.

Edit: I see now that I was not misunderstood and that my feedback was taken seriously. My apologies if that sounded rude, I was simply trying to make sure my point wasn't misunderstood.
Last edited by thirtyfiftyone on Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post by Gabe »

thirtyfiftyone,

Just in case...

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=581
W8 Pro • GK1 • AK3 • AM02 • T6 Pro • AMR5 • GK3 Pro • AD03 • AM06 Pro • T8 Pro • S1 • T8 Plus • CK10
I have no connection to ACEMAGIC other than being a customer and long time forum member
thirtyfiftyone

Post by thirtyfiftyone »

admin wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:11 am Thank you for your suggestion! The CK6 we currently leave the factory has listened to your opinion and fixed this problem. Your feedback will make us better.
Fantastic! Thank you for taking this into consideration and quickly adjusting your manufacturing line!
thirtyfiftyone

Post by thirtyfiftyone »

Gabe wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:21 pm thirtyfiftyone,

Just in case...

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=581
Wow, thanks for sharing. I didn't see that post.
Phil456

Post by Phil456 »

thirtyfiftyone wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:18 am I have discovered that the CK6 has a manufacturing defect that causes immediate thermal throttling. There are several diodes and capacitors that stick up higher on the motherboard than the processor does, which results in those items touching the heatsink and preventing the CPU from touching the heatsink. You can see from my pictures how the thermal paste didn't get squished.

My resolution is to sand out the heatsink so that those items do not touch the heatsinks. I have noticed a significant reduction in operating temperatures.
Any advise on getting the board out to check? I have removed 4 screws, can't see any more but board seems stuck down. Also I assume once free it is a matter of moving slightly to one side to free up VGA or Serial connection then lift one side?

Thanks
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hello, we have changed the heat dissipation problem, so you do not need to disassemble the machine.
Phil456

Post by Phil456 »

admin wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:40 am Hello, we have changed the heat dissipation problem, so you do not need to disassemble the machine.
Hi, my CK6 is recent, can you tell from serial number if it was produced before or after the issue of the heatsink was discovered? Just for peace of mind so I know for certain my device was covered.

Many thanks.

Return to “Troubleshooting”