AK3V / J3455 - Was working fine, then Wifi stopped working

cappy2112

AK3V / J3455 - Was working fine, then Wifi stopped working

Post by cappy2112 »

Hello,

I was given one of these Mini PCs (AK3V / J3455), the boot drive was bad so I've replaced it with a small SSD and installed Windows 10 PRO.
All of the drivers seem to load, everything worked for several days.

Today when I power it on - Wifi does not come up. There are no WIFI devices in control panel.
I've looked in the BIOS, I didn't see any obvious settings that would cause wifi to stop showing up in Windows.

1. Will this MiniPC be OK with a generic Windows 10 installation? I do not have access to the original Windows image for this PC, and there are no mfgr
drivers on the MFR website.
2. Does anyone have any idea why wifi suddenly doesn't appear in Control Panel, or how to resolve this issue?

Thanks!!
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Re: AK3V / J3455 - Was working fine, then Wifi stopped working

Post by Gabe »

You can try reinstalling the WiFi driver. The drivers for the J3455 AK1/AK3 are here...

They're older, but they should still work, and they'll update via Windows Update if necessary.

You can also try Driver Booster.

If none of this works, you can always try reinstalling Windows.
W8 Pro • GK1 • AK3 • AM02 • T6 Pro • AMR5 • GK3 Pro • AD03 • AM06 Pro • T8 Pro • S1 • T8 Plus • CK10
I have no connection to ACEMAGIC other than being a customer and long time forum member
cappy2112

Post by cappy2112 »

Thanks- now that I think of it- I did do a Windows update, there were a bunch of Intel optional updates that went in as well.

Is there a download ink for all of the drivers for this PC?
cappy2112

Post by cappy2112 »

Gabe wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 6:28 pm You can try reinstalling the WiFi driver. The drivers for the J3455 AK1/AK3 are here...

They're older, but they should still work, and they'll update via Windows Update if necessary.

You can also try Driver Booster.

If none of this works, you can always try reinstalling Windows.
That Link downloaded a File which shows "AK1" drivers, I have an AK3.
Are they compatible?
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post by Gabe »

cappy2112 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 6:52 pm That Link downloaded a File which shows "AK1" drivers, I have an AK3.
Are they compatible?
Yes, they're compatible. They're for the J3455 version of the AK3 as well.
W8 Pro • GK1 • AK3 • AM02 • T6 Pro • AMR5 • GK3 Pro • AD03 • AM06 Pro • T8 Pro • S1 • T8 Plus • CK10
I have no connection to ACEMAGIC other than being a customer and long time forum member
cappy2112

Post by cappy2112 »

When I run the installer for Wifi, I see a spinning Wifi logo for a sew seconds, then it just goes away.
When I run the installer for BT, I see a typical progression of installation dialogs.

Rebooting after running the wifi driver installer still did not restore wifi
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post by Gabe »

Are you trying to install/update the driver from within the Device Manager? If not, try that. I'm on a Mac right now, so I can't give exact step by step instructions, but I believe you right click on the device in question, then select Update Driver, then choose "Browse my computer for drivers". Click Browse to select the unzipped driver pack you downloaded (make sure "include subfolders" is checked), then click Next, or whatever it says. If the driver is in there, it will automatically install.

If this doesn't work, I'd try Driver Booster.
cappy2112

Post by cappy2112 »

Gabe wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 11:57 pm Are you trying to install/update the driver from within the Device Manager? If not, try that. I'm on a Mac right now, so I can't give exact step by step instructions, but I believe you right click on the device in question, then select Update Driver, then choose "Browse my computer for drivers". Click Browse to select the unzipped driver pack you downloaded (make sure "include subfolders" is checked), then click Next, or whatever it says. If the driver is in there, it will automatically install.

If this doesn't work, I'd try Driver Booster.
I've installed drivers for over 20 years, I know how to do it. It's just not working on this system.

>>Are you trying to install/update the driver from within the Device Manager?
No, in order to do that you need an .inf file for the device you have a driver for as well as the driver.
The files in the BT-WIFI directory are Applications, installers to be precise. These cannot be installed from DEvice Manager, you just simply double click
on the exe and follow the installation dialogs. AS I mentioned, the installer for the WIFI just quits, like it's corrupted or for the wrong HW.
Normally an installer would tell you if the device was wrong.

However, the WIFI chipset is not even showing in Device Manager, that could be why it's not showing on the task bar.
It was there- worked for several days...

I've reset the BIOS to default, and also enabled the Network Stack (which keeps getting disabled). Nothing will bring the Wifi chipset back so
it appears in device manager. I'll try a power cycle, sometimes that will fix HW issues that reboots don't
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post by Gabe »

There's no need to get snippy about it. I don't have an AK3, so I'm not familiar with the drivers in this pack. The drivers available for most models on this site, including all I own, are not applications and are instead installed via the Device Manager.

Your other options are again, Driver Booster, and if that doesn't help, a clean install of Windows.

If none of this helps, the unit may be malfunctioning.

Just in case, what brand is it?
cappy2112

Post by cappy2112 »

I'm not trying to be snippy or otherwise.

I think you may not be aware of the files that you sent me.

I this directory (BT-Wifi), are driver installers (applications) for BT & Wifi, as shown by their .exe extensions.
BT-wifi.jpg
BT-wifi.jpg (21.33 KiB) Viewed 447 times
wifi_installer.jpg
wifi_installer.jpg (13.11 KiB) Viewed 447 times
In order to do what you're recommending from Device Manager, the hardware MUST be present.

As mentioned, the wifi chipset is no longer visible, I don't know why. I did see it there and it is
a separate device (and requires another device entry in device manager).
The Realtek chispet shown below is for ethernet only.
ControlPanel_Ethernet-only.jpg
ControlPanel_Ethernet-only.jpg (15.99 KiB) Viewed 447 times
Until I can figure out why my wifi chipset is no longer showing up, no SW of any type will make Wifi work.
There simply is no way to install any driver for HW that isn't present.

it's odd that it suddenly stopped working, which implies that one of the updates is preventing it from showing here.
I have no choice but to install windows again and not do any Intel chipset updates.

>>Just in case, what brand is it?
No name, but when it boots, Guzilla is shown on the splash screen. It's possible that is the Mfgr
MiniPC.jpg
MiniPC.jpg (691.15 KiB) Viewed 444 times

Return to “J3455(AK1)”