can i upgrade my ssd

snappydragond

can i upgrade my ssd

Post by snappydragond »

my mini pc came with 16gb ram and a 256gb m.2 ssd.
a couple days ago the ssd up and took a vacation and has failed to return. i ordered a new one and the pc wont recognize it. i did get a 512gb. will it not support the bigger drive? should i have just ordered the same size? ugghhh
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Re: can i upgrade my ssd

Post by Gabe »

Though I can't say with certainty whether the GK3 can utilize a 512GB drive, I'm reasonably sure it can. The admin or barry777 would have to be the ones to verify that for sure.

What kind of drive did you get? Is it SATA or NVMe, as I believe the m.2 slot in the J4125 based GK3 supports SATA only.

If the new drive is SATA, see if this post is of any help.
W8 Pro • GK1 • AK3 • AM02 • T6 Pro • AMR5 • GK3 Pro • AD03 • AM06 Pro • T8 Pro • S1 • T8 Plus • CK10
I have no connection to ACEMAGIC other than being a customer and long time forum member
snappydragond

Post by snappydragond »

thanks after reading your post i had a look at the new drive and it seems like i clicked the wrong one when i bought it. i have ordered a new one and will try that. thanks again for the quick response and opening my eyes to my mistake.
lets hope the new one works. lol
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post by Gabe »

You're quite welcome. And I don't blame you for the mistake. Their descriptions for their products are often lacking when it comes to the storage they come with or can utilize, as in not specifying whether it's NVMe or SATA, so it's pretty easy to end up ordering the wrong kind.

It's just an idea, but if you're not able to send the NVMe drive back, or you just don't want to, and you don't have a use for it, there are fairly inexpensive USB external enclosures that you could use to turn it into really fast external storage. Again, it's just an idea.

I got one of these a few months back when I upgraded the storage in my laptop. It came with an NVMe drive, but it was only 256GB, though I probably don't actually need any more than that. 🤪 I was able to use the 256GB drive in that enclosure for storing drivers and other important files from each of my mini PCs (plus my Mac).
W8 Pro • GK1 • AK3 • AM02 • T6 Pro • AMR5 • GK3 Pro • AD03 • AM06 Pro • T8 Pro • S1 • T8 Plus • CK10
I have no connection to ACEMAGIC other than being a customer and long time forum member

Return to “J4125(GK3)”