Changed the SSD and now wifi does not work

Discrete graphics card like NTX1650
filmfx66

Changed the SSD and now wifi does not work

Post by filmfx66 »

I just got a new ACEMAGICIAN [Dual LAN Mini Gaming PC] AMD Ryzen 7 5700U Mini PC. The wifi worked fine when I first booted it up with the installed SSD and OS.
I shut the machine down and replaced the SSD with my SSD from my older computer, and the Wi-Fi stopped working. I updated to Windows 11, but still no Wi-Fi. So, I installed the SSD that came with the computer to make sure the Wi-Fi was still working, and it did.

So I put my new SSD in, and the Wi-Fi stopped working again. After this testing, I am assuming this is a driver issue. But as much as I searched, I could not find a driver for this computer's Wi-Fi. Does anyone have any idea where I can download that?

Thanks!
cackletinkle

Re: Changed the SSD and now wifi does not work

Post by cackletinkle »

sounds like the driver a your old computer (and the SSD the OS was on) would not have the required WiFi drivers

if you're talking about AMR5, the drivers are here
if it's for the AM06 then you can find them here
These users thanked the author cackletinkle for the post:
filmfx66
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post by Gabe »

On the replacement SSD, did you install the system (Windows) available on this forum for your particular model?
W8 Pro • GK1 • AK3 • AM02 • T6 Pro • AMR5 • GK3 Pro • AD03 • AM06 Pro • T8 Pro • S1 • T8 Plus • CK10
I have no connection to ACEMAGIC other than being a customer and long time forum member
peo

Post by peo »

filmfx66 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:06 am I shut the machine down and replaced the SSD with my SSD from my older computer, and the Wi-Fi stopped working.
So, did you just take a SSD from a random "older computer" and mounted it in the AM06 (or AMR5) ? Up until Windows 10, that would crash with a horrible BSOD, but windows 10 works much better even when moving system disks between different hardware.

I would suggest you create a install-USB using the official installer from Microsoft ("Media Creation Tool"), which will download the current version of Windows 11 (23H2), and create a bootable USB with it. Going through the installation, you will get network using the Realtek port.

From then, download and extract the drivers zip file to (for example) c:\drivers
Install missing drivers using 'Device Manager' (just use search in the win11 bar for "devm", and it will find it), or create the batch file I mention in the drivers thread for Am06 (https://minipcunion.com/viewtopic.php?p=13770#p13770) and let it install everything that is compatible with your computer.
filmfx66

Post by filmfx66 »

I removed the SSD that came with the new system and installed my old SSD from my previous system. I updated the OS to WIndows 11 from 10. 100% of everything else works perfectly. Probably one of the easiest transfers from one computer to a new one I have done in 20 years. All except the wifi not working. Thankfully I have an ethernet cable plugged into it to get online.

I have been in the device manager but I do not even see the wifi device listed with a warning that it is not working.
filmfx66

Post by filmfx66 »

I used Snappy Driver Installer and it fixed it in about 10 minutes after locating the driver download on its own. Not bad for a free tool.

https://sdi-tool.org/download/
peo

Post by peo »

35GB of drivers (Snappy Driver..) will possibly guess the right one at some point.
The correct driver pack for your specific minipc model will probably get Wifi working, unless the old OS-disk you moved to the minipc have a conflicting driver which breaks the Wifi.
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post by Gabe »

filmfx66 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:40 pm I used Snappy Driver Installer and it fixed it in about 10 minutes after locating the driver download on its own. Not bad for a free tool.

https://sdi-tool.org/download/
The free version of Driver Booster is another good driver tool.
W8 Pro • GK1 • AK3 • AM02 • T6 Pro • AMR5 • GK3 Pro • AD03 • AM06 Pro • T8 Pro • S1 • T8 Plus • CK10
I have no connection to ACEMAGIC other than being a customer and long time forum member
filmfx66

Post by filmfx66 »

peo wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:52 pm 35GB of drivers (Snappy Driver..) will possibly guess the right one at some point.
The correct driver pack for your specific minipc model will probably get Wifi working, unless the old OS-disk you moved to the minipc have a conflicting driver which breaks the Wifi.
You do not have to download the entire thing, you download the lite version and then select the things you need drivers for then it downloads only what you need.

Return to “AMD Ryzen™ 7 5800H with RX6400(G1)”