It's fun time!!!

Discussion - Non-tech related content only please! New members can say Hi here.
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

It's fun time!!!

Post by Gabe »

I got this today. 🙂

AGSP.png
AGSP.png (1.83 MiB) Viewed 4023 times

I only tried it for about twenty minutes, as it's late in the evening, but this thing is going to be fun! I've already got a Raspberry Pi 4 that I use for retro gaming, and I also have an Atari Flashback 2 that I bought years ago. In addition, I recently got an Atari 2600+ as well as an Atari Flashback 12 Gold. But this thing is just plain neat. Like the AFB12G I can add games to it, but unlike the AFB12G this thing supports more than just games from the Atari 2600. It even supports arcade games, and I'm going to try to add the arcade version of Galaga to it, which was one of my favorite games as a teen in the late 80s.

I guess I'm starting to collect retro gaming systems in addition to mini PCs. 🤪 And then there's the Raspberry Pis. Including the aforementioned RPi 4, I've got two RPi 3B+, an RPi Zero W and an RPi Zero 2 W.

Yeah, I like miniature electronics. 😁
W8 Pro • GK1 • AK3 • AM02 • T6 Pro • AMR5 • GK3 Pro • AD03 • AM06 Pro • T8 Pro • S1 • T8 Plus • CK10
I have no connection to ACEMAGIC other than being a customer and long time forum member
dragonpoo

Re: It's fun time!!!

Post by dragonpoo »

Wow, Gabe! I've seen some of the mini retro gaming systems, but not this one. It looks pretty nice and I really appreciate how you can expand/add to it.

Totally agree with you about miniature electronics. Got a few RPi's of various generations (including the zero) along with my other mini PCs. I missed out on the NES and SNES releases, sadly.
GK3V (J4125/8GB/128GB) | AMR5 (R5 5600U/16GB/512GB NVMe) | JK06 (N5100/8GB/256GB) | AK1Pro (N5105/8GB/256GB) | T8Pro (N5095/8GB/256GB) | AD03 (N95/8GB/256GB) | CK10 (i7-10810U/16GB/512GB) | S1 (N95/16GB/512GB)
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post by Gabe »

dragonpoo wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:07 am Totally agree with you about miniature electronics. Got a few RPi's of various generations (including the zero) along with my other mini PCs. I missed out on the NES and SNES releases, sadly.
I missed out on them too. I would have loved to have gotten one of the SNES Classics. The only place to get the real ones now are on eBay, and usually used and for high prices, while there are cheap, garbage knockoffs being sold as the real thing, both on eBay and even Walmart's website. I have my Raspberry Pi 4 set up for NES and SNES games though, and in a case that looks like the original Super Famicon (the original Japanese version of the SNES).
W8 Pro • GK1 • AK3 • AM02 • T6 Pro • AMR5 • GK3 Pro • AD03 • AM06 Pro • T8 Pro • S1 • T8 Plus • CK10
I have no connection to ACEMAGIC other than being a customer and long time forum member
dragonpoo

Post by dragonpoo »

Yeah, it's sad that they released those systems in such limited numbers. From what I saw of them, they were literally just emulators on hardware similar to a Pi, not anything proprietary to Nintendo, so your gaming setup sounds perfect anyway!
GK3V (J4125/8GB/128GB) | AMR5 (R5 5600U/16GB/512GB NVMe) | JK06 (N5100/8GB/256GB) | AK1Pro (N5105/8GB/256GB) | T8Pro (N5095/8GB/256GB) | AD03 (N95/8GB/256GB) | CK10 (i7-10810U/16GB/512GB) | S1 (N95/16GB/512GB)
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post by Gabe »

Definitely emulation, but apparently the genuine SNES Classics worked very well. And even though the knockoffs use emulation as well, I can't say the same for them, as many people who buy them, thinking they're the real thing, quickly discover their mistake. I've tried reporting the knockoffs to Walmart, but they don't seem to care, even though there are a slew of bad reviews about them.

Though it's not being released until March 28th, I have this on the way too. I never had one when I was a kid, but they look pretty neat. Granted, they're just emulation gaming systems and nothing like an actual Atari 400, but it should still be pretty fun.
dragonpoo

Post by dragonpoo »

I had a 2600, never any other Atari branded system, but it sure looks cool. I hope you have fun with it!

I gotta admit, I have more fun reliving my childhood through old classic games, than with modern games.
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post by Gabe »

I ended up cancelling the order for the Atari 400 Mini. I'd seen a few reviews from people who got units directly from Atari, and though it looked pretty neat, I don't think I would have had as much fun with it as with the other systems. Plus, the joystick it comes with seems to be problematic for some people. The way the joystick is designed isn't the greatest, causing incorrect or unintended inputs for some. There's a video on YouTube that showed how to perform a jerry rigged sort of fix, but that shouldn't be necessary. Plus, the way it has the 'hidden' buttons on the ring around the joystick makes it hard to not accidentally press one of them while using it, especially if you're not careful, and who is careful with an Atari joystick?

Still having fun with the Atari Gamestation Pro though. I tried adding a few SNES games to it, and while adding them was fairly easy, I couldn't get my SNES type controller mapped correctly. Plus, after a few minutes the gameplay and music started lagging. Perhaps it's just the emulation it uses. The built in games work just fine, as do the Atari 2600 and 7800 games I put on the micro sd card.

I've been playing more SNES games lately. Primarily "Final Fantasy IV" (originally FF II in the US), "Final Fantasy VI" (originally FF III in the US) and "The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past". The original NES "Final Fantasy" and "Super Mario Bros" too. I performed a clean install of RetroPie and all the games on both my Pi 3B+ and Pi 4. I originally had a bunch of Atari 2600 and 7800 games on them, as well as some N64 games, but they just aren't fun to play without the proper controllers. I could get an adapter so I could use a joystick with the Atari games, but having three other systems that can play them properly, I didn't see the point. I didn't want to have a slew of games on there that I was never going to play, so I started fresh. Plus, RetroPie has been updated a few times since I did the original installs, so it was time.

I bought my first cartridge for my 2600+ too. I had the 10 game cartridge it comes with, plus the four game cartridge that came with the paddle pack I bought, but that's all I had. So, I bought Kaboom! from eBay. It was used, but I got a replacement label for it, so it looks new. I had never played Kaboom! as a kid, but I saw it being reviewed in a YouTube video, and it looked like a lot of fun, and it certainly is! The funny thing is, I didn't realize I already had Kaboom! on the Atari Flashback 12 Gold, but it's still better with an actual cartridge. That whole nostalgia thing. 😁

Over the weekend I ordered my second cartridge, again from eBay. It's Pitfall!, and I've got a replacement label on the way too. Like with Kaboom!, the cartridge label is pretty beat up, but the cartridge itself is fine, so the new label will do the trick. The Flashback 12 has Pitfall! as well, but again, nostalgia. There's just something about having the actual cartridge to put into the machine.

Return to “Off Topic”