Hardware Acceleration Ubuntu...

Intel® Processor N95 6M Cache, up to 3.40 GHz
freezergeezer

Hardware Acceleration Ubuntu...

Post by freezergeezer »

Trying to get hardware acceleration working on my AK1PLUS on Ubuntu 22.04. Did the install of 20.04 first then upgrade (to solve the ethernet issue posted elsewhere). Basically I don't have a /dev/dri therefore don't have a renderD128. Tried installing drivers from intel (ìntel-media-va-driver and intel-media-va-driver-non-free). The fact that the /dev/dri folder isn't there suggests that the GPU isn't enabled (I googled that)... Any help ? How can I diagnose this ? Thanks !!
brandoman

Re: Hardware Acceleration Ubuntu...

Post by brandoman »

Is this an issue with hardware acceleration completely or an issue with hardware video decode?

For the networking issue try installing the following package if 23.04 works normally
https://packages.ubuntu.com/lunar/r8168-dkms (Ubuntu)
https://archlinux.org/packages/extra/x86_64/r8168/ (Garuda)

I can confirm the issue in Garuda (arch based linux) so I don't think a newer kernel version will help currently with the networking issue

If you goto settings --> about Does graphics show as "mesa intel graphics ADL-n"?
**********Note***********

I do not work or represent MiniPCunion and my words are my own. I will do my best to provide guidance based on over 20 years of computing experience.
dd_milkshake

Post by dd_milkshake »

Upgrade the linux kernel. Anything newer than 6.2 should have Intel mainline driver available.
freezergeezer

Post by freezergeezer »

@brandoman. I'm not a Linux or Ubuntu expert in any way, so my knowledge level is low. I've got a stable ethernet situation right now by going to 20.04 then upgrading to 22.04 - so I will leave that for now until I learn a little more.

Re the HW Acceleration issue : My Settings/About says this for Graphics : "llvmpipe (LLVM 15.0.7, 256 bits)". (If that's to do with the screen, then it might be because it's a screen less config - with a plug in the HDMI port and VNC into the machine).
freezergeezer

Post by freezergeezer »

@dd_milkshake. Thanks for the advice. My concern would be that if I do that, then the ethernet I have for this PC will break (I have no idea if it would, but installing Ubuntu 22.04 directly did exactly that ! - I had to install 20.04 then upgrade to 22.04).

I've looked at this link https://linux.how2shout.com/linux-kerne ... -04-20-04/ which makes sense to me, but I will need to wait until I have some spare time to upgrade the kernel, and perhaps uninstall it too if it breaks my ethernet...

Thank you for the tip.
brandoman

Post by brandoman »

freezergeezer wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:02 am @brandoman. I'm not a Linux or Ubuntu expert in any way, so my knowledge level is low. I've got a stable ethernet situation right now by going to 20.04 then upgrading to 22.04 - so I will leave that for now until I learn a little more.

Re the HW Acceleration issue : My Settings/About says this for Graphics : "llvmpipe (LLVM 15.0.7, 256 bits)". (If that's to do with the screen, then it might be because it's a screen less config - with a plug in the HDMI port and VNC into the machine).
LLVMPIPE is indeed software rather than hardware accelerated graphics. That is interesting that it is not directly using the Intel graphics acceleration.
**********Note***********

I do not work or represent MiniPCunion and my words are my own. I will do my best to provide guidance based on over 20 years of computing experience.
removablequotes

Post by removablequotes »

Just installed Ubuntu 22.04 on my N95. By default it uses 5.15 kernel which does not load the drivers for /dev/dri.

After updating to 6.2, /dev/dri showed up.
I did that by activating HWE mode: https://ubuntu.com/kernel/lifecycle
freezergeezer

Post by freezergeezer »

I managed to update to the new 22.04.3 with the 6.2 kernel. Sure enough the HW Acceleration options turned up, but my Ethernet broke again - see viewtopic.php?p=11412&sid=82ecac34aedd1 ... 4b1#p11412. (Wifi was fine). I *THINK* I discovered the following (please correct me if I'm wrong) :

- The driver for the Ethernet card bundled with my AK1PLUS in the 6.2 kernel is "R8169".
- To get Ethernet to work I had to do the following :
(1) sudo apt-get install r8168_dkms
(2) sudo nano /etc/default/grub
(3) Add "r8168.aspm=0 r8168.eee_enable=0 pcie_aspm=off loglevel=3" to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT option.
(4) sudo update-grub

So now I have HW Acceleration working OK with the new kernel 6.2, and the Ethernet driver working OK with the older R8168 Ethernet driver with some power management options turned off.

Can someone smarter than me confirm what I did sounds OK and makes sense please ?
Andi34

Post by Andi34 »

Sounds good to me. What I was told by Realtek was to modify the Kernel module config / Makefile:

CONFIG_ASPM = n
ENABLE_EEE = n

While the Kernel Module is compiled. This would disable EEE and ASPM.
Seems like this can also be done, like you found out, via the Kernel command line which is executed on boot.

Thanks for the finding!
freezergeezer

Post by freezergeezer »

Cool, thanks for confirming !

Return to “Intel® Processor N95(AD03/AK1PLUS/GK3PLUS/T8PLUS)”